Step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residencycoord

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please stop putting so much emphasis on board scores. You should not start a thread with your board score and think that people can tell you if you will match. Programs look at your applications as a whole. Someone can have a 250 on each step, but if their transcript is average, then your board scores will not mean much. You need to have a decent transcript, decent board scores, great letters, some research, etc. OBGYN has gotten more competitive and the number of applications has risen. I had over 750 applications last year for six spots. I would also advise that if you have low scores, poor transcript, etc., then don't waste your money applying to the big programs. The best advice I can give you is to find a great advisor, someone who can look at your application and give you realistic expectations. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please stop putting so much emphasis on board scores. You should not start a thread with your board score and think that people can tell you if you will match. Programs look at your applications as a whole. Someone can have a 250 on each step, but if their transcript is average, then your board scores will not mean much. You need to have a decent transcript, decent board scores, great letters, some research, etc. OBGYN has gotten more competitive and the number of applications has risen. I had over 750 applications last year for six spots. I would also advise that if you have low scores, poor transcript, etc., then don't waste your money applying to the big programs. The best advice I can give you is to find a great advisor, someone who can look at your application and give you realistic expectations. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't see how anybody in their right mind would voluntarily want to do OB/GYN. Especially if they are male because of the way males are treated in that specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how anybody in their right mind would voluntarily want to do OB/GYN. Especially if they are male because of the way males are treated in that specialty.
Why? Regarding the first sentence. As someone about to start their OBGYN rotation Im curious why you think this?

Why? Regarding the first sentence. As someone about to start their OBGYN rotation Im curious why you think this?
Ignore this person. Every once in a while, you get someone who trolls this website trying to discourage males from entering the specialty. I don't understand why they do it, but they do.

Reactions: 1 users

Can you speak to how class rank plays out? I have a strong application other than a low class rank from preclinical years.

Can you speak to how class rank plays out? I have a strong application other than a low class rank from preclinical years.
Class rank does matter to some programs. I would think that the bigger competitive programs would prefer the 1st and 2nd quartile ranked students.

Class rank does matter to some programs. I would think that the bigger competitive programs would prefer the 1st and 2nd quartile ranked students.
In the 90's, I was a student at USF/ Tampa General when William Spellacy was program director. He made it clear that they wanted the students with the top GPA's and board scores. He was mostly concerned with residents who would potentially score high on CREOG exams.

is it a bad idea when interviewers ask for weaknesses to answer with poor exam scores/grades and explain how you improved/will do better?

This type of question is not about content but how confidently you answer it. It's meant to rattle you to see HOW you respond and whether you fluster and crack. It's not a bad idea if you answer intelligently and in a cool and collected manner.