STEP Scores By Neurology Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I get PMs, it is always people wondering about my step scores. So I thought it might be super useful for people if we could make a public thread regarding this. I think it should actually help relieve people's anxiety a bit, because (I believe) neurology is not as obsessed with numbers compared to other specialities.

Please don't be shy about this - just try to remember being a 2nd year and how much the Step exams give everyone panic attacks. If you don't have a SDN account, make one and participate -- we all benefit from shared information. It only takes a few minutes. We want to help our fellow neuro peeps, so get to it!

Instructions for adding your scores:

1) Scroll all the way to the bottom of the thread and copy the most recent programs list, create a new post, paste the list, and add your step 1 and step 2 scores wherever you got interviews, OR

2) PM me the list with your scores added and I'll post it for you -- to keep it anonymous if you prefer. Please make sure it is in the proper format so I don't have to manually write in your scores (i.e. it makes my life easier if I can just cut and paste from your PM).

3) Assume scores are US grads unless otherwise noted.
IMG may write "IMG" after scores if this feels appropriate, i.e. if you think it was a particularly important factor in determining the interviews you got.

4) Rude comments towards other people's scores will NOT be tolerated. These numbers are very personal, and you should be grateful others are willing to share.

5) Please add any additional info regarding interview-offer trends you noticed, descriptive info about scores/interviews, or what aspects of your application you believe were important factors in determining the interviews you got (or did not get).
Remember, this thread is about helping others navigate an often-disorienting process.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (Montefiore): 221/228
Albert Einstein (Beth Israel):
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Albert Einstein Penn:
Allegheny General:
Arizona:
Arizona UPHK:
Arkansas:
Baylor: 230/262
BIDMC:
BNI:
Brown: 239/249, 221/228
Boston University: 230/262
Buffalo:
Case Western: 230/262
Cincinnati:
Cleveland Clinic: 239/249, 230/262
Cleveland Clinic Florida:
Colorado:
Columbia: 239/249
Cornell: 221/228
Dartmouth: 239/249
Drexel:
Duke:
Emory:
Georgia:
Georgetown: 230/262
GWU: 230/262
Henry Ford: 230/262
Hopkins: 239/249, 221/228
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Kaiser LA:
Kansas:
Kentucky: 230/262
Loma Linda:
Loyola: 230/262
Maryland: 230/262
Mayo Clinic: 230/262, 221/228
Mayo Florida:
Mayo Arizona:
MCW (Milwaukee):
Medical University of South Carolina:
Methodist (Houston):
Michigan: 230/262
Michigan State (Sparrow): 230/262
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Missouri:
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYU: 239/249, 221/228
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
Northwestern: 230/262
Ohio State: 230/262
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Partners: 221/228
Penn State:
Pittsburgh: 239/249, 230/262
Robert Wood Johnson:
Rush: 230/262
Saint Vincent's Downtown at NYMC:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Temple:
Tennessee:
Jefferson: 239/249, 230/262
Toledo: 230/262
Tufts: 230/262
Tulane:
UC Davis: 221/228
UC Irvine: 230/262
UCLA:
UCLA-Harbor:
UCSD:
UCSF: 221/228
U Chicago: 230/262
UConn:
UF (Gainesville):
UF (Jacksonville):
UIC:
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC:
UPenn: 221/228
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
USC:
USF:
UVA:
U Wash: 221/228
U Wisconsin:
Utah:
UTMB Galveston:
UT Houston:
UT San Antonio:
UTSW Dallas:
UTSW Austin:
Vanderbilt:
Vermont: 239/249
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest:
Wash U:
Wayne State: 230/262
West Virginia:
Yale: 221/228, 239/249

Last edited:
Keep 'em coming!

I'd encourage anyone with lower-ish scores to PM me also. I know we have all be trained to hold our cards close to our chest, but if the only people speaking out are the high-scorers (whether on SDN or in medical schools), others begin to lower their expectations about where they think they might be able to interview. Don't do that!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My opinion about how to get good interviews (and rock the interviews you get!) are as follows:

(this list is based on questions I have gotten as PMs - so thought I'd share with everyone)...

1) Get good letters of recommendation. Try to spend time with one or two mentors through clinical time and research. Set up a month-long elective with a specific attending at their outpatient clinic if you can. Be interested in their work! Take initiative. Be willing to work on research projects even if they don't lead to publications (there is a "research section" of ERAS, which is separate from "publications"). It looks great if you have mentors (specific ones) and have stuck with projects.

2) Try to pick one or two of your interests and pursue them. If it looks like you can bring something "new" to the table, good programs will want you. Did you have an undergrad degree that can be integrated somehow? Do you speak a second language and can implement a project with an underserved group in the community? Can you be creative somehow? This doesn't have to be research in the traditional sense.

3) Doing research doesn't mean you have to have impressive publications. Try to show initiative by doing a case study, or writing up a perspective piece about an experience during medical school. Even just writing "submitted" on ERAS is exciting to programs, because it gives them something to ask you about. It shows initiative, and shows that you understand that contributing to the field is important - even if you haven't gotten a chance to do so yet. Let them see that you have done a little bit of reading about the field. Subscribe to a couple academic journals to stay up to date (e.g. NEJM, Lancet, Neurology, Annals of Neurology...).

4) Write something fun in your "hobbies/interests" question on ERAS. I can't tell you how many people asked me about this. If it is fun and even a little quirky, it starts conversations, and makes people smile. They have to do a LOT of interviews during interview season, and get bored. They will invite you if you look like you will be interesting to talk to...

5) Consider taking a year "off" to do research or an MPH or something else. I felt like medical school was WAY too hectic to allow me to focus on anything else and set myself apart. A year doing something else saved my life, and reminded me that I am a passionate person. Med school can be draining. A fresh and energetic person engaging in projects outside of medical school excites people.

6) Go to academic conferences (like the AAN or ANA). Go to the conference, pick a topic you like and go to that talk. Find people that are experts in what you are interested in, link up with current residents at the programs you are curious about. People with similar interests will help you. I know that taking a week at an academic conference isn't what everyone wants to do during their vacation, but it can work wonders. You have spent 4 years working on this so far, and will spend the rest of your life in it. Take the week, make it a priority!

7) Practice talking about where you "see yourself in ten years". Most of the good programs, it seems to me, want to be able to visualize you in the future - do you want to be an academic neurologist, do you have particular areas you want to work in? It doesn't have to be a subspecialty necessarily, just something that people can visualize (being able to fit into some sort of box makes people feel most comfortable).

That's all I can think of now, I'll add if I think of more.

Please feel free to add any thoughts too. Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some more advice from others (just PM me if you want me to add your advice to this list):

"Your advice in the thread pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would emphasize the fact that LORs are a big deal, doing well on the neuro rotations (grades and hobnobbing with faculty/residents -- they put in good words for me apparently), and not to shun research.

Took a year off for family reasons, but ended up continuing my old research from before med school. Worked out nicely."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A few more thoughts...

From what I have observed, board scores are used as a kind of screening mechanism. As I imagine it, when applications are received, they then go into a "maybe" vs "no" pile based on some arbitrarily-set cut-off board score. A particularly low score may land you in the "no" pile immediately, and unfortunately they would never get to read about all of the interesting and amazing things that make you an amazing candidate...

Different schools most likely have different cut-off scores, and it probably changes from year to year and from reader to reader. But I think most of the schools will at least look at your application if you come from a decent medical school and score, say, above 220 or 230 on step 1. My bet is that the top program cut-off scores probably range from 220 - 230 (perhaps as low as 215 and high as 235). At top places, it seems, a low score can guarantee a "no" but a high score won't guarantee an interview... This is, of course, only postulation -- from talking to people and noticing trends.

Once your file is opened, I don't think scores play much of a role from there on out. And definitely not after being offered an interview. If, however, your file is opened and they aren't interested (or your goals don't coincide with the direction in which their dept wants to go), you could be then thrown into the "no" pile (obviously). Check out their website and try to figure out some of their new initiatives as a dept and where they "see themselves in ten years". If you can fit into that plan, even better!

In summary, aim for above a 220 or 225, or if you are an IMG probably a bit higher (maybe above 235?). Not totally sure for IMG's - any experience out there?

As always, others are welcome to chime in! I am sure pooling our collective experiences will bring out some important aspects of this process...

Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Albert Einstein Penn:
Allegheny General:
Arizona:
Arizona UPHK:
Arkansas:
Baylor: 230/262, 249/245
BIDMC:
BNI:
Brown: 221/228, 239/249
Buffalo:
Cincinnati: 249/245
Colorado:
Drexel:
Duke:
Emory:
Georgia:
Hopkins: 221/228, 239/249
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Kaiser LA:
Kansas:
Kentucky: 230/262, 249/245
Loma Linda:
Mayo Florida:
Mayo Arizona:
MCW (Milwaukee):
Methodist (Houston):
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Missouri: 249/245
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
Ohio State: 230/262, 249/245
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Penn State:
Robert Wood Johnson:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Temple:
Tennessee: 249/245
Jefferson: 239/249, 230/262
Tufts: 230/262
Tulane:
UC Davis: 221/228
UC Irvine: 230/262
UCLA:
UCLA-Harbor:
UCSD:
UConn:
UF (Gainesville):
UF (Jacksonville):
UIC:
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC:
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
USC: 249/245
USF: 249/245
UVA:
U Wisconsin:
Utah:
UTMB Galveston:
UT Houston:
UT San Antonio:
UTSW Dallas:
UTSW Austin:
Vanderbilt:
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest:
Wash U:
West Virginia: 249/245

In summary, aim for above a 220 or 225, or if you are an IMG probably a bit higher (maybe above 235?). Not totally sure for IMG's - any experience out there?

As an IMG, my scores were 249/245 and I didn't get many interviews (certainly no prestigious ones [couldn't even get indiana ;( ].

I would aim for 260's, or just go to a US med school. :D

Thanks cerebral edema - good to know. My current roommate graduated from a medical school in Nigeria, and I am now realizing that there are much higher expectations of non-American-grads (I am trying to help her navigate this). Do you know any IMGs that scored above 260, and did they get a lot of "good" neurology interviews? In other words, does a super-high step 1 score get an IMG noticed in neurology? (unfortunately my roommate wants to go into dermatology (!), so we've got our work cut out for us). Wish us luck.

As a non-caribbean IMG having gone through the interview process with >260, I can say that it is definitely possible for IMGs to get "good" neurology interviews. But in addition to having high scores, IMGs should try to do clinical rotations or observerships (rotations are preferred) in the US and get strong LORs from US physicians, and possibly try to get in some research as well. We are at a significant disadvantage in the residency application process and even if you've managed to do the above, the process is still pretty random (e.g. I received interview invites from some of the "prestigious" neurology programs, but was rejected from places that I would probably have ended up not ranking or ranking at the end of my ROL).

Last edited:
I think scores are a very crucial screeener in Neuro .

Last edited:
Just wondering - do we have evidence that scores are the screener, rather than simply being an IMG vs. US-grad being the primary screener? Like -- just throwing this out there -- perhaps a person from a good US med school the default is "yes" with the exception of too low of a score (say, less than 215 or 220) in which case you would get bounced to "no" pile, whereas for IMGs the default is "no" with >260 being bounced to the "yes" pile? This would be before the file even gets opened.

Anyways, it is interesting to think about the process. Seems there are different sets of rules for US-grads vs IMGs. How anyone gets above a 260 is beyond me, props to all you who can pull that off!!

-------

Another random question - I got interviews at all but one of east coast top-tier-programs and all middle-tier east coast programs as well as all of the top-tier west coast schools I applied to. But, interestingly, I did not get interviews at several of the more middle-tier west coast programs. I'm thinking that maybe the middle-tier west coast schools get sick of east-coasters interviewing there but then never actually making the trek out there for residency. Or, perhaps there are a lot of cancellations of those interviews by east-coasters (in retrospect I probably would have ended up canceling them too!). Or, maybe it is about regional reputations of schools? Any experiences by west coasters having a similar pattern on the east coast?

Last edited:
Re: east/west thing, I don't know if it's the case in neuro, but my best friend who is an EM applicant this year definitely seems to think it's a thing for EM programs for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Another anonymous contribution -- thanks guys!

Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Albert Einstein (Penn): 201/215
Allegheny General:
Arizona:
Arizona UPHK:
Arkansas:
Baylor: 230/262, 249/245, 201/215
BIDMC:
BNI:
Buffalo:
Colorado:
Drexel: 201/215
Duke:
Emory:
Georgia:
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Kaiser LA:
Kansas:
Loma Linda: 201/215
Mayo Florida:
Mayo Arizona:
MCW (Milwaukee):
Methodist (Houston):
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Penn State:
Robert Wood Johnson:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Temple: 201/215
Jefferson: 239/249, 230/262, 201/215
Tufts: 230/262, 201/215
Tulane:
UC Davis: 221/228, 201/215
UC Irvine: 230/262, 201/215
UCLA:
UCLA-Harbor: 201/215
UCSD:
UConn:
UF (Gainesville):
UF (Jacksonville):
UIC: 201/215
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC:
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
USC: 249/245, 201/215
UVA:
U Wisconsin: 201/215
Utah:
UTMB Galveston:
UT Houston:
UT San Antonio:
UTSW Dallas:
UTSW Austin:
Vanderbilt:
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest:
Wash U:

Great thread.

People keep saying that IMGs need really high scores to match, but in fact the match statistics constantly show that matched IMGs perform at the level or even slightly below matched AMGs. What it does mean is that you don't need a perfect (>250) score to match, but you do need those if you are aiming at some of the top academic programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree that >250 is not necessary for an IMG to match, but it does dramatically increase an applicant's chances and allows an applicant to be considered at higher tier programs.

Just one observation though regarding the match statistics; I presume that the data you're quoting is from "Charting Outcomes in the Match", and you must bear in mind that "independent applicants" are not just IMGs but also include DOs matching in allopathic residencies and repeat US MD applicants (either unmatched in the previous match or switching residencies). Also, IMGs are not all alike, but US citizens IMGs (usually caribbean) or Canadian grads are looked upon differently than the IMGs from other countries.
My perception is that a general rule of thumb for the competitiveness of applicants (in terms of their starting point, without taking into account scores-research etc.) is the following: US MD>Canadian MD=US DO>US IMG (caribbean)>IMG. So a non-caribbean IMG starts out at a disadvantage and should target high scores in order to overcome this. I suspect that if the independent applicants are broken down into categories, the IMGs that end up matching probably have significantly higher scores than the others.

Last edited:
I completely agree that >250 is not necessary for an IMG to match, but it does dramatically increase an applicant's chances and allows an applicant to be considered at higher tier programs.

Just one observation though regarding the match statistics; I presume that the data you're quoting is from "Charting Outcomes in the Match", and you must bear in mind that "independent applicants" are not just IMGs but also include DOs matching in allopathic residencies and repeat US MD applicants (either unmatched in the previous match or switching residencies). Also, IMGs are not all alike, but US citizens IMGs (usually caribbean) or Canadian grads are looked upon differently than the IMGs from other countries.
My perception is that a general rule of thumb for the competitiveness of applicants (in terms of their starting point, without taking into account scores-research etc.) is the following: US MD>Canadian MD=US DO>US IMG (caribbean)>IMG. So a non-caribbean IMG starts out at a disadvantage and should target high scores in order to overcome this. I suspect that if the independent applicants are broken down into categories, the IMGs that end up matching probably have significantly higher scores than the others.

This is true, but going by the same statistics 50% of the independent applicant pool are non-American IMGs. I have a hard time believing that with a 2011 mean of 219 for neurology for matched independent applicants, those American independent applicants are scoring that much lower than an already relatively low average of 219 to offset a presumably high average for foreign IMGs. If there is a difference, it is probably slight.

Statistically speaking even matched IMGs are not that much better than AMGs. They get accepted because there are positions to fill.

I also don't quite agree that carribean IMGs are better off than other international IMGs, especially those going to prestigious schools - particularly English speaking.

All along I had been thinking that PM&R was the end all be all choice for me but aftering being on neurology rotation for week now, I really am loving this. My question is whats the competitiveness as far as DO's matching into allopathic Neurology programs? I did take usmle step 1, got a 225.

I am an IMG hoping to apply for neurology in 2014, but seriously contemplating abadoning the speciality all together.
I graduated in 2010,
Completed a mandatory one year transitional internship in my home country (completed in 2011) and have been working in the accident and emergency department at a major hospital in my country since March 2012
I have a one month clinical elective rotation in neurology from Brown Medical school and an excellent LOR from a professor at the same school.
I have 1 pubmed publication (non-neuro related)
CK:229
CS: passed
will be sitting step 1 in June
I am thinking abt trying for IM instead, I think neurology is out of my reach
Any advice??

All along I had been thinking that PM&R was the end all be all choice for me but aftering being on neurology rotation for week now, I really am loving this. My question is whats the competitiveness as far as DO's matching into allopathic Neurology programs? I did take usmle step 1, got a 225.

From what I've seen, you should be able to match somewhere, but probably shouldn't get your heart set on the elite programs. There are plenty of DOs in quality ACGME programs throughout the country and a 225 is right around the average for matched candidates.

From what I've seen, you should be able to match somewhere, but probably shouldn't get your heart set on the elite programs. There are plenty of DOs in quality ACGME programs throughout the country and a 225 is right around the average for matched candidates.

I realized this after going through all the information in the neurology forum and I am ok with that. The preference I do have is trying to match in the midwest as I am from Chicago and would like to be back home after being away at school for 3+ years. Looking at programs like UIC and Loyola, maybe rush too.

Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Allegheny General:
Arizona: 211/220
Arizona UPHK:211/220
Arkansas:
Baylor: 230/262, 249/245, 201/215, 211/220
BIDMC:
BNI: 211/220
Buffalo:
Cleveland Clinic Florida: 211/220
Colorado:
Dartmouth: 239/249, 211/220
Duke:
Emory:
Georgia:
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Kaiser LA: 211/220
Kansas: 211/220
Maryland: 230/262, 211/220
Mayo Florida:, 211/220
Mayo Arizona:
MCW (Milwaukee): 211/220
Methodist (Houston):
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Penn State:
Robert Wood Johnson:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Tulane:
UCLA:
UCSD:
UConn:
UF (Gainesville): 211/220
UF (Jacksonville): 211/220
UIC: 201/215, 211/220
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC:
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
UVA:
U Wisconsin: 201/215, 211/220
Utah:
UTMB Galveston:211/220
UT Houston:211/220
UT San Antonio:211/220
UTSW Dallas:211/220
UTSW Austin:211/220
Vanderbilt:
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest:
Wash U:

Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Allegheny General:
Arkansas:
BIDMC:
Buffalo:
Colorado:
Duke:
Emory:
Georgia:
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Mayo Arizona:
Methodist (Houston):
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Penn State:
Robert Wood Johnson:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Tulane:
UCLA:
UCSD:
UConn:
UF (Gainesville): 211/220
UF (Jacksonville): 211/220
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC:
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
UVA:
Utah:
Vanderbilt:
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest:
Wash U:
Yale: 221/228, 239/249, 185/221

Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Allegheny General:
Arkansas:
BIDMC:
Buffalo:
Colorado:
Duke: 248/255
Emory: 248/255
Georgia:
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Mayo Arizona:
Medical University of South Carolina: 248/255
Methodist (Houston):
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Penn State:
Robert Wood Johnson:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Tulane:
UCLA:
UCSD:
UConn:
UF (Gainesville): 211/220, 248/255
UF (Jacksonville): 211/220, 248/255
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC: 248/255
UPenn: 221/228, 248/255
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
UVA: 248/255
Utah:
Vanderbilt: 248/255
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest: 248/255
Wash U:

Great thread :thumbup:

Sorry to interrupt but I was wondering where DO student are getting interviews. For those DO students out there, did you do an away rotation at these programs?

Thanks and congrats to everyone.

Sorry to interrupt but I was wondering where DO student are getting interviews. For those DO students out there, did you do an away rotation at these programs?

Hi :)

I rotated/interviewed at:
Mayo Jacksonville
University of Miami (roration only)
UF Jacksonville (matched here!)
UF Gainesville

I interviewed at:
Cleveland Clinic Weston
USF
Larkin (miami, a DO program)
Penn (Hershey)
Alaganey gen (Pittsburgh)
SUNY downstate
Another NY program that I actually don't remember...

I ranked 7 programs and matched my #2. I'm thrilled and can't wait to start Neuro in 3 months!

Hi,

I applied to 44 programs and got invited to interview at about 25ish. 44 programs was overkill! I rotated at two of those programs, Baylor and UTSW-Austin.

I got invited to:
UTSW Austin
UTSW Dallas
UT San Antonio
UT Houston
UT Lubbock
Baylor
UTMB Galveston
Univ. of Maryland (UMMC)
Barrows NI
UIC
UW Madison
UCLA Harbor
Univ. of Kansas
U of Florida, Gainesville
both programs of Univ. of Arizona in Tuscon
Dartmouth
Cleveland Clinic Florida
Milwaukee
Kaiser Permanente

There were a few more but I can't remember them right now.

I went on 12 interviews and matched my top choice. I only went on interviews to categorical programs.

As 2014 neurology applicants start checking this thread, I just wanted to direct people towards this fabulous color-coded map showing neurology programs in the United States (e.g. green dots are "categorical programs", or 4-years in length, and the other color dots offer "advanced programs", or 3-years in length). Links to program sites can be found on this map too (just click on the program). I think this map can be a good visual aid when thinking about where you want to apply:

http://goo.gl/maps/Vhr9n

And this is the thread it comes from:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=812867

Last edited:
Alabama (Birmingham):
Albany:
Albert Einstein (LIJ):
Allegheny General:
Arkansas:
Baylor: 230/262, 249/245, 201/215, 211/220, 269/264
BIDMC:
Buffalo:
Colorado:
Duke: 248/255
Emory: 248/255
Georgia:
Howard:
Indiana:
Iowa:
JFK (Seton Hall):
Mayo Arizona:
Medical University of South Carolina: 248/255
Methodist (Houston):
Minnesota:
Mississippi:
Mt. Sinai:
Nebraska/Creighton:
New Mexico:
NYMC- Valhalla NY:
OHSU:
Oklahoma:
Penn State:
Robert Wood Johnson:
SIU:
SLU:
Stanford:
Stony Brook:
SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Upstate:
Tulane:
UCLA:
UCSD:
UConn:
UF (Gainesville): 211/220, 248/255
UF (Jacksonville): 211/220, 248/255
UI Peoria:
UMass:
UMiami/Jackson:
UMDNJ:
UNC: 248/255
UPenn: 221/228, 248/255
U Rochester:
U Southern Alabama:
UVA: 248/255
Utah:
Vanderbilt: 248/255
Virginia Commonwealth:
Wake Forest: 248/255
Wash U:

Reactions: 1 users
anybody have a sense of how important it would be for a DO to take USMLE Step 2? I took USMLE and COMLEX step 1 and did well, but considering only taking COMLEX for step 2.

UT Southwestern Step 1 average (for 2013 match class): 233

Haven't attended any interviews yet, but received this figure from the director of the residency program. This is for those who matched. The range of interviewed applicants was from 190-275.

This thread might be even more useful if people posted the type of school they are applying from- USMD, USDO, or IMG.

For the DOs out there. How important is it to take the USMLE step 1 if you are looking to match into a Neuro residency? Would I be ok just taking the COMLEX and trying to get an AOA residency or an allo residency that accepts the COMLEX? Or would taking the USMLE substantially improve my odds? For the record, the rest of my application is pretty average.

Also, if I take the USMLE, can a bad score hurt me when applying to AOA residencies, or will they just look at the COMLEX?

Reactions: 1 users
How competitive is matching into an interventional neuroradiology fellowship after doing a neurology residency? Does anyone have any insight on how difficult it is to match into Sinai's fellowship? Thanks

Um, it's really really hard, and you need to do a stroke or ICU fellowship first. And that fellowship better be in a good place, preferably one with its own NIR fellowship. Those stroke and ICU fellowships are also competitive.

Not to mention the lifestyle sucks, in fellowship and beyond. Although hopefully you're aware of this if you're thinking of NIR.

After 4 years of residency and 1-2 years of a busy stroke or icu fellowship, most people I know are ready for a little bit of a lighter schedule, not qod call where you're almost guarantee d to get called in most nights (if the program has enough thrombectomy volume to reasonably justify a fellowship this will be the case).