Step II Reporting on ERAS & ERAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'll be submitting my ERAS application in a few months and also scheduling for the Step II two exams (CK/CS). My 2 questions are this:

1. On ERAS, if I have my Step II CK score back (the test exam that's actually scored), will I have to submit that too, like Step I, or will that be my option? I am curious, because I really don't want to submit my Step II score unless it's really good. Can anyone comment? Scootad., anyone?

2. When is the earliest you can submit a ERAS application?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Once you have taken the test and the scores come back, it's all sent as One transcipt (can't send separate). The only way around that is to take step 2 2 or 3 weeks before you start with ERAS. Then you can transmit your step 1 score with the option to transmit later for other tests. I used this method to screen my step 2 before transmitting my score.

bigfrank,

The main variable that will determine whether residency directors will or will not see the Step 2 CK score is when you take it. If you did well on step 1 (and I think you did), then delay step 2 as much as possible. I was in the same shoes this year and I took step 2 at the end of January. My score report was released one day after rank order lists were finalized...perfect timing! And my step 2 score was below my step 1 score so the timing strategy was all good.

For the purposes of ERAS, and this is if you submit the ERAS application before taking Step 2, you will have choices. The first choice is to automatically send all score transcripts once available. If you choose this option and you take Step 2 early, the step 2 score will probably be already transmitted electronically even before you get the score report via snail mail...what a sucky proposition. The other choice is to release all existing scores but NOT to automatically send score transcripts for subsequent step exams. The thing is that you have to remember to go back to ERAS and manually send the score to the programs (if you took the test early and the scores are available before ROL's are finalized). I chose this option. At least for pathology applications, this was a non-issue. I don't know how the other specialties will look at this. And I've heard of a few stories from rads people that they did the same thing I did and it was also a non-issue.

So here are a few scenarios:

(1) Take step 2 early + automatic send = you have the potential to get ****ed royally by this if you do significantly worse on step 2 compared to step 1. The advantage is that you don't have to remember to do a thing when your step 2 score comes.
(2) Take step 2 late (so scores won't matter by ROL deadline day) + automatic send = doesn't matter.
(3) Take step 2 late + non-automatic send = again, it doesn't matter.
(4) Take step 2 early + non-automatic send = this is a tricky issue and perhaps others can chime in here but i will offer my hypothetical thoughts. let's say you take the exam in october. you indicated on ERAS that you will be taking the exam in october. hence, the residency programs KNOW you will be taking the exam in october. let's say that your score was 30 points lower than step 1 when you get your score report back in november; you decide NOT to send the score report to the programs. fast forward to december...let's say certain residency programs really want to see your step 2 score but you didn't release it. they will think that something is up. this could potentially hurt you. now let's backtrack back to november and you did decide to send the score report to the programs. well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out but clearly you get screwed here too (if the residency program cares about step 2).

here's my personal experience just in case you fall into the same shoes as me in the next several months. my scheduling window for step 2 CK was october-december. i initially was scheduled to take step 2 in mid-november. but since this was when interviews were starting, i really didn't feel like studying for step 2. so i pushed it back to the end of december which was near the end of my scheduling window. but that's like holiday season. and i was still interviewing. hence, i really didn't feel motivated to study either. and i knew my score would go significantly down compared to step 1 if i were to take step 2 cold (although i felt i would still probably pass...but see, the residency directors didn't need to know about this). so i ended up requesting an extension from NBME so that my scheduling window could be extended to Jan-Mar. the sucky thing about that is that i had to pay $50. but it was a $50 well spent because the last thing i needed, after all those interviews, was for a step 2 score to bite me in the ass come ROL deadline day and Match Day. And as I said before, the timing worked beautifully.

So in summary, bigfrank, take step 2 late. then this whole automatic send or non-automatic send issue becomes a non-issue. :laugh:

Awesome. Thanks guys

To discuss Andy's point further, i took step 2 relatively early (october) and chose nonautomatic transmit (a little risky, but figured it was worth it). I studied a bit (about 1 1/2 weeks) and was able to improve my score, so i resent my transcript. I agree this is somewhat risky, but prior to releasing my score i had about five interviews, and nobody had asked me about my intentions with regard to step 2 (it seemed like half the time they hadn't even read my app). I decided to take it earlier because i had done pretty well on step 1, but really thought i could improve on step 2. If you rocked step 1, then i agree you should put off step 2 CK. To answer your second question, I think ERAS opened on September 1st last year. Good luck with all this bigfrank!

yeah, the ERAS homepage where you can start filling out the online application opens up sometime in the summer (i'm thinking maybe sometime in july?...anyways, your school will send you an electronic token sometime in the next few months). september 1st (or was it the 2nd?...i forget) is the first day you can actually transmit the ERAS application to programs.

if you start in advance and finish your CV and personal statement during the early summer, filling out the ERAS application is not too bad (it's long though :laugh: )

AndyMilonakis said:
you indicated on ERAS that you will be taking the exam in october. hence, the residency programs KNOW you will be taking the exam in october.

This, I dont agree with. I dont remember any section of the ERAS app where they ask you when you plan to take step 2. I dont think of it as risky to take Step 2 after you submit your eras as long as you choose the option of not automatically releasing the scores. First, the programs rarely care about step 2 and wont even ask. Second, in the very odd chance they do ask (which they wont), just say you havent gotten taken it yet (or gotten the score back). Believe me, they have better things to do than to confirm this.

I just realized that I really f___ed up today. I scheduled for the Step II CK exam for June-August 2005, which was completely retarted and stupid. So I called the NBME people and they suggested that I send an email and explain my situation (I want to schedule it for January 2006 after talking to y'all). Has this ever happened before? I read about an "extension" for only the 3M immediately following the time you scheduled for, but the month I want is like 6M out. Am I completely screwed, or will they cut me a break since I caught my stupid mistake immediately, on the same day I scheduled?

scootad. said:
This, I dont agree with. I dont remember any section of the ERAS app where they ask you when you plan to take step 2. I dont think of it as risky to take Step 2 after you submit your eras as long as you choose the option of not automatically releasing the scores. First, the programs rarely care about step 2 and wont even ask. Second, in the very odd chance they do ask (which they wont), just say you havent gotten taken it yet (or gotten the score back). Believe me, they have better things to do than to confirm this.
scootad, this section does exist. if you print out your ERAS application (not the CV format but the view application format where individual subsets of the application are enclosed in boxes), there is a section that states when you passed step 1 and when you passed or will plan to sit for step 2. specifically, it states that i passed step 1 in 6/2000 and that i "will take" step 2 in 11/2004. i believe that this is the application format that the residency programs see when they download your ERAS and not the CV format. but this is a mere technicality and not the important issue at hand.

when looking back at how things went during this application season, i agree with you. i was never EVER asked about step 2. on my ERAS app, i had put down that i plan to sit for step 2 in november. of course, this did not change even though i postponed the exam until january. you are right though, they probably do have better things to do than to hunt down your step 2 score. in the scenario presented in my first post in this thread, i was presenting more of a worst case scenario rather than the most realistic scenario. i figured that future applicants should know what COULD happen, no matter how unlikely, so that they can account for this when they go through this process in the next several months.

bigfrank said:
I just realized that I really f___ed up today. I scheduled for the Step II CK exam for June-August 2005, which was completely retarted and stupid. So I called the NBME people and they suggested that I send an email and explain my situation (I want to schedule it for January 2006 after talking to y'all). Has this ever happened before? I read about an "extension" for only the 3M immediately following the time you scheduled for, but the month I want is like 6M out. Am I completely screwed, or will they cut me a break since I caught my stupid mistake immediately, on the same day I scheduled?
Say that your browser ****ed up or something.

AndyMilonakis said:
scootad, this section does exist. if you print out your ERAS application (not the CV format but the view application format where individual subsets of the application are enclosed in boxes), there is a section that states when you passed step 1 and when you passed or will plan to sit for step 2. specifically, it states that i passed step 1 in 6/2000 and that i "will take" step 2 in 11/2004.

That's weird, b/c I have a printed out copy of my app right in front of me in the format you are talking about (my CAF) and the section where it states that I passed step 1 it doesnt say anything at all about step 2 (when I plan to take it). [The second section after "general information" entitled "Examinations" only says that I passed step 1 in 6/03, says nothing at all about step 2]

scootad. said:
That's weird, b/c I have a printed out copy of my app right in front of me in the format you are talking about (my CAF) and the section where it states that I passed step 1 it doesnt say anything at all about step 2 (when I plan to take it). [The second section after "general information" entitled "Examinations" only says that I passed step 1 in 6/03, says nothing at all about step 2]
That is weird. Oh well...maybe the question was optional and Andy here, in a fit of stupidity, answered that question :laugh:

Thanks for all of your help, everybody. As it turns out, the USMLE people will allow me to reschedule completely. When should I take Step II? Scootad says November, which to me sounds like a good idea, because I can relax from then on out. I was also thinking about January, which would still give me a good last 1/2 of M-4 year with a few extra months of studying. Anyone else?

bigfrank said:
Thanks for all of your help, everybody. As it turns out, the USMLE people will allow me to reschedule completely. When should I take Step II? Scootad says November, which to me sounds like a good idea, because I can relax from then on out. I was also thinking about January, which would still give me a good last 1/2 of M-4 year with a few extra months of studying. Anyone else?

Take it in January and don't release your scores. Study for a week or two. You will do fine.

the citizen said:
Take it in January and don't release your scores. Study for a week or two. You will do fine.
Absolutely. This would be the risk free plan...and all you have to do is Pass!

P = MD

Hey guys,

Question: If I took step II in the summer, say august, I would HAVE to automatically send my scores because ERAS starts Sept. 1st? I can't submit my application before that, say mid august?

Bummer if thats the case...

Thanks!

dr. neek said:
Hey guys,

Question: If I took step II in the summer, say august, I would HAVE to automatically send my scores because ERAS starts Sept. 1st? I can't submit my application before that, say mid august?

Bummer if thats the case...

Thanks!

You can submit your application as soon as it opens. You will just need to retransmit your USMLE record through ERAS after step 2 comes back or you can leave it out if it's bad.

I've got some questions regarding the timing of step II and the sending off of ERAS. When is the latest I can take step II CK and still have the results available for the initial screening process? I'm thinking about taking it in late Sept. as I'm pretty busy with electives in July and August. If I send my ERAS in early Sept, will my app be screened based on Step I only or will programs usually wait for the application to be completed (ie Dean's letter, recs, etc.) by Nov 1? If I'm able to improve on Step II at that point would I be able to get more interviews at programs I would not have otherwise gotten offers from? Alternatively, should I wait until my scores are back before sending ERAS?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

anyone?

Also how long does it usually take to retransmit scores once they come back?