Step II CS Work-Up Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member19419

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the Step 2 CS work up part of the note are we only supposed to include things that are associated with our differentials? Lets say a thyroid condition is not included in our top 3 differentials, but is further down our list, would I put thyroid tests just to rule it out or would that seem random since none of my differentials include thyroid conditions? Also does almost every single woman of reproductive age gets a pregnancy test even if that isn't on our differential? I've read that unnecessary tests can get you points removed, so I'm confused how they know what is unnecessary and what could help rule other things out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No one knows for sure, but they are listed as diagnostic tests, so things that would help you rule in or rule out diagnoses would be good. However, having failed this test before passing, I'm very sure you should do tests that are sensitive over tests that are specific where applicable.

It does not have to be part of your top differentials to be ruled out, just reasonable to do as an initial test for the current presentation. Pregnancy test is okay because it can mess with hormones. And pregnancy is a reasonable thing to rule out.