Step II and residency apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttercup2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Step II to count for the residency application, when is the latest that it can be taken? I have heard September....but would that be mid-month, or is later in the month still okay?

My personal dilemma: I was planning on taking the exam mid September (scheduled for the 16th) but am considering delaying it for 1 week to the 23rd....would this later date be TOO late for it to count for residencies?

Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to take it within September for it to count? I thought if you take it before the deadline it should "count", but yeah, the earlier the better. What if you take it in October?

Can someone shed some light on this?

it just depends on what you want it for. if you want it to help get an interview, you need a score in september (i.e. take it in early august). if you want it to help you match, just make sure you have a score before New Years.

a score by september? this poses a slight problem since i kinda missed the boat on that one then. my dean said mid-september was when we should have taken it by for it to count when programs select us for interviews....but then i was hoping i could stretch this to sept 23rd (more late sept rather than "mid" but i feel like i could do better if i had one more week, you know?)

has anyone else heard differently? thanks.