Step II and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stlblues

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this question has already been addressed, so bear with me...

So I did well on Step I and haven't yet taken Step II - On ERAS, I sent my transcript with my Step I score, but selected not to automatically re-send my transcript once I take Step II. So I am planning on taking Step II in December but am pretty certain that I will not be studying too hard for it. So if I take Step II and get my mediocre scores back in January, will schools see my scores (i.e. would I have to re-send them my ERAS transcript if I wanted them to see my scores)? In other words, is it pretty safe that even if I don't do well on Step II, it won't affect schools' ranking of me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't elect to release the scores the programs will not see them until one of them has you in their grips (in other words... after the match). Lots of people do this so it's not a big deal. If you did very well on Step I it is OK to wait to release Step 2, especially if you tank on 2 by not studying at least a little. Don't laugh... it happened to one of my classmates who had the highest Step 1 score in my school. He had to contact his program to explain that he had to retake 2CK.

sounds like a plan i wish i had done.... EXCEPT
you better make sure your school does not have a deadline for taking step 2ck. our school requires you take it by dec. 25th. rank order lists are due feb 27th, 2007. basically, we cannot get out of programs seeing our scores before ranking us. another point to note is that programs will get your scores before you get your letter in the mail. they will probably ask you in your interview when you are taking step 2ck, and possibly why so late. nevertheless, my step 2ck transcript (it listed a new second transcript on ADTS) was posted in less than 3 weeks. i don't recommend trying to escape the step 2ck score release before rank lists are due. first off, it's sort of unethical, if you wanna think of that way, and it's side-stepping the process everyone else in the country actually "bucks up" and takes on with courage. smart thinking i guess, not something i would plan on doing if you really want to get into a program... some programs will say they dont "require" it but will judge you accordingly if you dont... good luck with that.
by the way, i went down 10 points from 1 to 2ck. oh well... what's done is done...