Step I score cutoffs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is average Step I score cutoffs below which Urology programs won't even look at your application? Are there any programs that don't use cutoffs? I'm really interested in the field but worried about my score... thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

rachana said:
What is average Step I score cutoffs below which Urology programs won't even look at your application? Are there any programs that don't use cutoffs? I'm really interested in the field but worried about my score... thank you.

For top academic programs, you need at least a 230 to put your foot in the door.

rachana said:

I'm not really sure if there is a cut off per se. If you're really worried about your score, just study hard for step II and take it early.

Also, when you apply consider lesser known programs. It's real easy to apply everywhere and see where the dice fall. However, be honest with yourself. Programs like UCLA, Hopkins, CCF all get the top applicants. You can really save yourself a lot of money by applying to programs which are more your speed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses. I am not considering one of the most highly-ranked program; I would be very happy with a community hospital program. My question is - do even these programs use cutoff scores? And what's the best way to figure out which are the less competitive programs that would be more favorable to an improved Step 2 score in spite of a not so great Step I? Thanks.

Urology is unlike most other fields. It's selective in terms of Step I scores for two reasons 1). more interested than spots and 2) most programs (even those considered "less competitive" or "community") are really solid for whatever future in urology that you want, meaning they are really great programs.

I don't know of specific cut-offs per se but i would imagine that most (if not all) programs screen with the same general criteria. For example if you have a 230 your application will be read and evaluated. If not, you may be excluded even for "lesser" programs. Of course other things matter like LOR, medical school and personal interaction ( like if you've done an way).

As far as I know, there is no generally accepted step I cut off that is abided by all (duh??). Sorry, kind of a paranoid and unrealistic question. Good luck!

Get above 230 and you will be fine. This seems to be the cutoff for many places.

I got above a 230 Step I but what if I don't get any honors in my rotations but all high passes? I'm not gunning for a top program...but am worried I won't get into any at all. My third year isn't over yet but an important rotation - Medicine - I ended up getting a high pass. =(

how do you know which programs are "top" and which arent?

i have been looking for this kind of info and cant find it anywhere