step I score and cutoffs..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hondo55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions/advice on getting a lower step I score but then getting a very high step II in terms of ortho applications. I am aware that many programs use step I as a screener, but does anyone have any idea of what a better step II can do. I am interested in ortho but want to have a full sense of the risk as I have heard of several places using step I as a screener. I scored below 215 on step I and above 250 on the second. I have multiple letters of commend for med 3. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated- especially if you were in a similar situation and then matched in ortho. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

that if you do well on one of the steps you should be fine. They want to see if you can pass you Inservice and Ortho boards. Goodluck to you.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions/advice on getting a lower step I score but then getting a very high step II in terms of ortho applications. I am aware that many programs use step I as a screener, but does anyone have any idea of what a better step II can do. I am interested in ortho but want to have a full sense of the risk as I have heard of several places using step I as a screener. I scored below 215 on step I and above 250 on the second. I have multiple letters of commend for med 3. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated- especially if you were in a similar situation and then matched in ortho. Thanks.

I also scored low on Step 1, way better on Step 2, and I matched, very high on my rank list too. However, I had a TONNE of help from my ortho department. Once programs see your step 2, they'll be convinced that you are booksmart, but unfortunately many won't see it since you'll be screened out for your low step 1.

You need major support from your ORTHO attendings. Volunteer to do case reports and work on any project they may have even if it won't get published until after you match. Work your tail off for them. That way you'll get on their good side and hopefully they'll make calls for you. I had 3 different attendings including my chairman and residency director making phone calls to people they knew personally at other programs as well as cold calls from chairman to chairman/director to director to get my foot in the door. After they pried open the door and got me passed the screen, the rest was up to me to impress them during my interview.

Apply BROADLY. Many people will say you have no chance, many will say you're step 2 will easily make up for your step 1, without much evidence. Just realize that you need to get pass the initial screen, and understand its one interview day to show you're the one, so you gotta be on your game at all times. Good luck.

sscooterguy