Step confirmed to remain SCORED for all test takers before Jan 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"All scores for Step 1 exams taken prior to the date of the policy change will continue to be reported using the three-digit numeric score on all USMLE transcripts. The USMLE program does not retroactively alter transcripts."

Source: USMLE Score Reporting Policy Updates | CORONAVIRUS RESOURCE CENTER

Me rn:
denzel-relieved.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
the title is misleading...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally. I swear this entire saga was a risk factor for hypertension.

IMG_1824.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I wonder what will happen to those to take it year 3... they will have it as p/f and apply with us

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you take it before 2022 (scored test) but are applying 2022 so that some of the people applying have p/f step, it may not matter that you have a score because residencies might not even consider it and be looking at step 2 instead if not everyone has a score. something to consider

Even if you take it before 2022 (scored test) but are applying 2022 so that some of the people applying have p/f step, it may not matter that you have a score because residencies might not even consider it and be looking at step 2 instead if not everyone has a score. something to consider

well the gme response is still an open question and it looks like whatever it is it will be program and specialty specific, patchwork, and variable across institutions.

You guys may be cheering and happy but those idiots still use language that makes the P/F date uncertain for co 2024

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone wondering, I originally used "Step confirmed to be P/F for test takers before Jan 2022" like an idiot. Sorry to anyone that deleted Zanki already, lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys may be cheering and happy but those idiots still use language that makes the P/F date uncertain for co 2024
Not really, class of 2024 will take P/F boards. That isn't even in question.

It's absolutely in question, USMLE said that Step 1 will be changed to P/F in 2022 at the EARLIEST. Dental schools had the same situation with the DAT a few years ago, and their P/F date got pushed back. This has been discussed to death ever since USMLE came out with their first P/F decision, idk why you're making it seem like it's a done deal.

They say no earlier than Jan 2022. So while your class is safe, wohoo, mine is still left in the dark about step 1.

I can see how scoring below national average might put you at disadvantage in this scenario.... If you score above - you look good. Score below - bad....
Maybe I am Wrong

Yeah, let's just hope we don't score below average, lol

For real. So if they make it p/f in Jan, then I get to apply with a pass while everyone else gets a score.

Thank God I’m a USUHS student.

I was kidding haha. I know you'd be fine either way, but are you going through the military match, or?

I was kidding haha. I know you'd be fine either way, but are you going through the military match, or?

I have to. I can apply for a civilian deferred but almost no one from Usuhs gets that (I don’t want it anyway). We are contractually and legally guaranteed a military PGY-1 spot.

I have to. I can apply for a civilian deferred but almost no one from Usuhs gets that (I don’t want it anyway). We are contractually and legally guaranteed a military PGY-1 spot.

Nice!! That really makes life easier, I imagine.

They're also cheering as if it's guaranteed they're going to do well on Step, but that's neither here nor there...

They're also cheering as if it's guaranteed they're going to do well on Step, but that's neither here nor there...

It's about having control over your destiny more than anything. I think having the choice to work towards a score that can play a large part in securing your future is why people feel good about this.

It will matter. PD's are going to look at all available data.

Reactions: 7 users
For real. So if they make it p/f in Jan, then I get to apply with a pass while everyone else gets a score.

Thank God I’m a USUHS student.

GG BRO

It's absolutely in question, USMLE said that Step 1 will be changed to P/F in 2022 at the EARLIEST. Dental schools had the same situation with the DAT a few years ago, and their P/F date got pushed back. This has been discussed to death ever since USMLE came out with their first P/F decision, idk why you're making it seem like it's a done deal.
They say no earlier than Jan 2022. So while your class is safe, wohoo, mine is still left in the dark about step 1.
My bad. Let me rephrase; it is without question that there is a possibility that your class will have P/F boards. Something that your class and beyond knew / knows about when applying to medical school. Those classes should prepare for boards in a manner that reflects this. I understand that means that people aren't sure whether to study hard or not at the current moment, but as always, overachievers will always be overachievers and underachievers will always underachievers.

Class of 2023 applied and took acceptances believing boards to be scored, then had this whole debacle go down <-- a huge problem when talking about why someone chose the school they did. For example, a DO student who took the acceptance instead of re-studying the MCAT to go to an MD school knowing that they could have a chance to do crush boards, and then having boards become P/F halfway through school.

Nice!! That really makes life easier, I imagine.

Still have to work hard because it doesn’t mean you can match whatever you want. But it is nice to know I can’t go unmatched.

I had to look that up and I still don’t know what it means. Good game?

• Haha
How do you compare a P with a score?

Also what happens if someone takes a research year? Are their Steps still scored and compared with a sea of passes?

Seems easier to just convert all c/o 2023 step scores to P/F but SDN will angrily throw me out the window.

Also what happens if someone takes a research year? Are their Steps still scored and compared with a sea of passes?

Looks like research years are back in play. Scores are safe.

Something that your class and beyond knew / knows about when applying to medical school.

While I agree it was a more unfair position for C/O 2023, hearing about the possibility of a change 2/3 into the application cycle is hardly fair warning.

While we are happy that most members of the C/O 2023 have had ambiguity cleared up, we (2024) are still in the dark and right to voice concern.

Those classes should prepare for boards in a manner that reflects this.

This is like saying we should be prepared to standup and sit down simultaneously.

I understand that means that people aren't sure whether to study hard or not at the current moment, but as always, overachievers will always be overachievers and underachievers will always underachievers.

This is a platitude.

Reactions: 4 users
A strong score will be better than a P. A weak score will be worse than a P.

So basically, a P will be assumed to be an average score.

No, it is simply "no data." When comparing no data to data, data will have a penetrant effect.

Had to look that up real quick. So a step score will penetrate the hearts of PDs more than a P will? I feel sorry for anyone taking it after third year. But seriously, can you explain what you mean by that? Lol

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Looks like research years are back in play. Scores are safe.

exactly my situation. I feel much happier going into my research year knowing that my decent step 1 justifies why I’m spending an entire year building an app for a competitive specialty.

Had to look that up real quick. So a step score will penetrate the hearts of PDs more than a P will? I feel sorry for anyone taking it after third year. But seriously, can you explain what you mean by that? Lol
I think you got it. Data is always more likely to have an effect than "no data."

Reactions: 2 users
Still have to work hard because it doesn’t mean you can match whatever you want. But it is nice to know I can’t go unmatched.

I had to look that up and I still don’t know what it means. Good game?

So, people on multiplayer games say gg when they've had a nice game or if someone won something notable

Colloquially, it means "niceeee" with multiple e's or "congratsss" with multiple s's, for emphasis on a notable achievement

Gg is also a way to kind of imply ‘game over’ or like ‘well, that’s game’

Imagine you are looking at transcripts of people that you are evaluating for a research position . One of them has “pass” In chemistry from the times of covid , one of them has a C+ Which one is smarter ? Your mind automatically perceives C+ as a negative grade , while pass is anythjng. Technically the person with “pass” could actually have a C, but you don’t know it . So you automatically have bias against it .
Or, for example , you are talking to two ppl at - one tells you that he drinks a 6 pack every night , another one just says that he drinks alcohol . You automatically think of first one as an alcoholic , while the second one you probably assume that he just drinks socially .
Or for example with weight . If I Showed you my picture and told you I weight 180 you would assume I fat, and probably think that I am lazy . But If you Just saw my picture without knowing how much I weight , you probably wouldn’t think about it as much . When ppl have more information that can be perceived as “negative”, it is usually easier for them to assign to you additional negative qualities .

My bad. Let me rephrase; it is without question that there is a possibility that your class will have P/F boards. Something that your class and beyond knew / knows about when applying to medical school. Those classes should prepare for boards in a manner that reflects this. I understand that means that people aren't sure whether to study hard or not at the current moment, but as always, overachievers will always be overachievers and underachievers will always underachievers.

Class of 2023 applied and took acceptances believing boards to be scored, then had this whole debacle go down <-- a huge problem when talking about why someone chose the school they did. For example, a DO student who took the acceptance instead of re-studying the MCAT to go to an MD school knowing that they could have a chance to do crush boards, and then having boards become P/F halfway through school.
Ummmmm, they told class of 2024 in Jan of THIS app cycle.... it's not like we can just change our school list that late in the cycle. And to be fair, step scores are only a portion of the decision making on which school to attend, so yes it would suck a little more if P/F was enacted for your class, but I would argue my class is in a worse situation as we don't even know if it'll be P/F for us so we have to study as if it weren't. Like I said, wohoo for those that this decision helped, but again, USMLE committee screwed my class over by keeping us in the dark.

EDIT: in fact, our class is in an even worse position than yours even if they ended up P/F for you. Here's why. As you were mentioning how this could affect school decisions, imagine How my class feels? We have to make a decision with the possibility that step 1 will be scored or not. What if I picked a school assuming it were scored and it ends up not being so, and VV? You see, the vague language they used and the timing of their "decision" screwed my cohort over the most

Last edited:
I feel really, really bad for the folks who will have their Pass compared to a 250 for competitive residencies. Seems like a massive disadvantage.

Does this mean I can use my new first aid book as tinder?

• Haha
Ummmmm, they told class of 2024 in Jan of THIS app cycle.... it's not like we can just change our school list that late in the cycle. And to be fair, step scores are only a portion of the decision making on which school to attend, so yes it would suck a little more if P/F was enacted for your class, but I would argue my class is in a worse situation as we don't even know if it'll be P/F for us so we have to study as if it weren't. Like I said, wohoo for those that this decision helped, but again, USMLE committee screwed my class over by keeping us in the dark.

EDIT: in fact, our class is in an even worse position than yours even if they ended up P/F for you. Here's why. As you were mentioning how this could affect school decisions, imagine How my class feels? We have to make a decision with the possibility that step 1 will be scored or not. What if I picked a school assuming it were scored and it ends up not being so, and VV? You see, the vague language they used and the timing of their "decision" screwed my cohort over the most

I can vouch for this. When the P/F decision was announced in January I had already paid a deposit to a DO school and completed 2 MD interviews. Ended up waitlisted at both MD schools and eventually rejected. Although I'm grateful for my acceptance and excited to start at my DO school, I will say that knowing this info in July 2019 would have changed my application strategy.

Here's to hoping the P/F implementation gets pushed back another year (if not indefinitely).

So, people on multiplayer games say gg when they've had a nice game or if someone won something notable

Colloquially, it means "niceeee" with multiple e's or "congratsss" with multiple s's, for emphasis on a notable achievement

Ah okay. That makes sense. I’m old.

• Haha

I can vouch for this. When the P/F decision was announced in January I had already paid a deposit to a DO school and completed 2 MD interviews. Ended up waitlisted at both MD schools and eventually rejected. Although I'm grateful for my acceptance and excited to start at my DO school, I will say that knowing this info in July 2019 would have changed my application strategy.

Here's to hoping the P/F implementation gets pushed back another year (if not indefinitely).
Simply wrong. While it put y'all in a bad situation, you both could have still decided to back out of your acceptances and try again. For US, we would have already been locked into the choices we made off of information that changed.

While it keeps you in the dark, you should ALWAYS study for boards in order to pass them, that didn't change.

EDIT: While I may not understand exactly how you feel; here is the truth of the situation. The class of 2023 made choices based on information that we had - such as scored boards. To change that in the middle of school means that people may have made choices off of false information, choices that are life altering choices. For you all, while it may suck that you don't know exactly what it is yet, you can make choices knowing that it MAY change during your time in class, and if you aren't comfortable with P/F as a DO, then you could forfeit acceptance this year, and try again for MD. As for studying, I wanted scored boards and you may want P/F boards. Those are differences at play. But it doesn't change how the level of pass. You still have to make a 194 to pass boards...just after that the score doesn't matter any more. If you are one of those that doesn't care for score and just want to pass, then how you study for boards won't change much.

Last edited:
USMLE transcript doesn't equate to having the score show up on ERAS, unfortunately. It might still get masked for everyone and even if it doesn't, it will almost assuredly be masked for some programs, and there has already been talk by some PD's of using masking during the process to help evaluate their new algorithms for evaluating candidates in an era of P/F step 1.