step 3 passing score will be changed form 1/1/2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Change in minimum passing score for Step 3
Posted: December 09, 2019
The recommended Step 3 minimum passing score will change from 196 to 198. This change will affect examinees who take a Step 3 examination that begins on or after January 1, 2020.
As stated in the USMLE Bulletin of Information and as explained in a previous posting to the USMLE website, the minimum passing score for each USMLE Step examination is reviewed periodically and may be adjusted at any time.

At its December 2019 meeting, the USMLE Management Committee* conducted a review of the Step 3 examination minimum passing score. During the meeting, the Committee considered information from multiple sources, including:

• Recommendations from independent groups of physicians who participated in content-based standard-setting activities in 2019;
  • Results of surveys of various groups (e.g., state licensing representatives, medical school faculty, examinees) concerning the appropriateness of current passing requirements for the Step 3 examination;
  • Data on trends in examinee performance;
  • Data on precision of pass/fail classifications.

As a result of its review, the USMLE Management Committee decided to raise the recommended Step 3 minimum passing score from 196 to 198.

As noted above, this change will apply to Step 3 examinees who take a Step 3 examination that begins on or
after January 1, 2020.

*The USMLE Management Committee is composed of medical school faculty with experience in undergraduate and graduate education, members of state medical boards, public members, and a resident member. The Management Committee is responsible for setting minimum passing performance levels for all USMLE exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
While I already took it and passed comfortably, the USMLE Management Committee is such a money grabbing joke. The pass rate is at a good 96-97%. This test has no purpose other than to get you certified. But of course they're all about the $$$ so having more people fail and ruining careers seem par for the course. I doubt they really asked any examinee how they felt and they responded with "yeah, the minimum should be higher".

Anyways, I wish my fellow colleague's luck on this exam. Hopefully the pass rate still stays the same so that these crooks don't gouge more money from us.

Reactions: 2 users
While I already took it and passed comfortably, the USMLE Management Committee is such a money grabbing joke. The pass rate is at a good 96-97%. This test has no purpose other than to get you certified. But of course they're all about the $$$ so having more people fail and ruining careers seem par for the course. I doubt they really asked any examinee how they felt and they responded with "yeah, the minimum should be higher".

Anyways, I wish my fellow colleague's luck on this exam. Hopefully the pass rate still stays the same so that these crooks don't gouge more money from us.
Yeah it's a serious crime what they're doing to us. People need to gain power over these greedy criminals and lock them away for good.