Step 3 implication! please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LatinDoctor

MD / Internal Medicine PGY-3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a NON-US IMG, Step 1 score: 212, Step 2 CK: 222, Step 2 CS Pass 1st attempt. I had 5 USCE with 5 strong LORs. I had 4 interviews and unfortunately I did not match. I did really well in the interviews and one program sent me an e-mail saying that they will love to have me join their team in July. So I thought I would match into that program, but didn't matched.

Anyways, I took Step 3 before match day to get rid of it, and I really thought I would fail. It was horrible, and my computer turned off and prometric had to reset my computer and I couldn't answer 7 questions and completely lost it.

Today I received my score and passed with 199. People say that passing Step 3 increases your chances to match. But my question is, having such a low score, would it really increase my chances for more interviews because I passed or it will lower my chances because I had a low score??? Moreover, do fellowship programs like Cardiology look into Step 3 scores or they don't care?

Thank you so much in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry pal, passing high helps when you can demonstrate improvement of your Step 1/2 scores. Passing low helps only with H1b visa. Report issues in Prometric center to USMLE, request rescoring or retake. Most likely their answer is no but who knows. $850 should cover a luxury room in a hotel with good internet connection and web camera for video surveillance. We pay their salary for not providing the service. Outrageous!
I think PD can see all scores as soon their are reported.
interview-1.png

from mykittykatz: when-you-should-take-usmle-step-3

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I am a NON-US IMG, Step 1 score: 212, Step 2 CK: 222, Step 2 CS Pass 1st attempt. I had 5 USCE with 5 strong LORs. I had 4 interviews and unfortunately I did not match. I did really well in the interviews and one program sent me an e-mail saying that they will love to have me join their team in July. So I thought I would match into that program, but didn't matched.

Anyways, I took Step 3 before match day to get rid of it, and I really thought I would fail. It was horrible, and my computer turned off and prometric had to reset my computer and I couldn't answer 7 questions and completely lost it.

Today I received my score and passed with 199. People say that passing Step 3 increases your chances to match. But my question is, having such a low score, would it really increase my chances for more interviews because I passed or it will lower my chances because I had a low score??? Moreover, do fellowship programs like Cardiology look into Step 3 scores or they don't care?

Thank you so much in advance
Hi.. congratulations on having completed everything :) how many programs did you apply to? & may i ask if you matched this year??

Hi.. congratulations on having completed everything :) how many programs did you apply to? & may i ask if you matched this year??

Thanks! I applied to 150 programs. I did not apply this year because I accepted a position as a postdoctoral research fellow in Cardiology at Mass General Hospital for two years. Will be applying this year, hopefully my CV will be stronger this time.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I applied to 150 programs. I did not apply this year because I accepted a position as a postdoctoral research fellow in Cardiology at Mass General Hospital for two years. Will be applying this year, hopefully my CV will be stronger this time.
Congratulations on research opportunity and all the very best for interviews