USMLE Step 3: Has anyone done UW by subject with the questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For both the other Steps, I have done them in a random, untimed way. However, I feel like I did not learn or remember the material as well.

I was thinking of just reviewing a chapter in MTB 3 and then doing the block of questions for that topic. For example, read on Cards and then do Cards questions.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

For both the other Steps, I have done them in a random, untimed way. However, I feel like I did not learn or remember the material as well.

I was thinking of just reviewing a chapter in MTB 3 and then doing the block of questions for that topic. For example, read on Cards and then do Cards questions.

Any thoughts?
i took the step 3 - yeah that method is ideal then you could do random questions closer to the exam
i always did by subject as it is more cohesive when you are trying to learn rather than simulate an exam

i took the step 3 - yeah that method is ideal then you could do random questions closer to the exam
i always did by subject as it is more cohesive when you are trying to learn rather than simulate an exam
Yeah, I wish I would have used this approach for the other Steps. I think for me it will be better. So, far doing it the other way has not helped me much. I did way worse on CK than expected. Not sure with being in intern yr if I will have a chance to go back through and do another round random. I will be lucky to get through all 1500 questions.

I plan to focus on Biostats. A clear weakness of mine and the fact it shows up so much on Step 3 I know I need to not blow it off this time. Also, plan to focus on CCS. Then, other subjects I am weak in like Peds, OB/GYN, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Hard to get advice from others on this exam. Not much action in here.

When I studied for S2CK, that's what I did, except I used FA. Would scan a section of FA, quickly read the section, then really hardcore read that section (testing some knowledge/repeating stuff that needed memorizing). Then I'd do that subject only in UW (timed because it kept me on track more than tutor.)

My original goal with S3 was to do similar, but it devolved into doing random tutor mode on my phone at work for ~25-35% of all the questions I've done. At home I still do tutor on random, because I'm not managing to do questions AND study sections in FA. Partially time limited, partially motivation. I really do need to at least my bottom 4-5 sections before I take the real thing.

I've always done things by topic. I started feeling like random wasn't helping me for step 1 so I switched. Took step 3 in April and score was consistent with all of my other scores (which I was fine with!). I had done about 2/3 of Uworld over the course of the 9 months I'd been an intern. I also read 1/2 of step 3 secrets. And I didn't really do anything within a month of the test except watch MedEd videos for peds and do some UWorld CCS cases because I was on an inpatient rotation and just determined to take the test before vacation. It all felt really weird and less than I'd done in the past but it worked.