Step 2CS - what to wear, including white coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that you cannot have any emblem showing on your white coat in the Step2 CS exam. It is part of the rules that the examiner not see the school emblem on the coat. Is this true?

What is advisable to wear? I suppose for men, it's easy. Shirt, tie, slacks. And women? I suppose conservative, pants, long-sleeve blouse. Thinking it would be better to wear a short-sleeve to save time washing hands and not have to roll up sleeves.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read somewhere that you cannot have any emblem showing on your white coat in the Step2 CS exam. It is part of the rules that the examiner not see the school emblem on the coat. Is this true?

What is advisable to wear? I suppose for men, it's easy. Shirt, tie, slacks. And women? I suppose conservative, pants, long-sleeve blouse. Thinking it would be better to wear a short-sleeve to save time washing hands and not have to roll up sleeves.

They will give you a white avery label to cover the emblem on your white coat. The dress code you described is pretty standard -- you don't need to wear a suit, but something professionally casual would be a good idea. Only thing you need to bring, if I recall, is pens and a stethoscope.

They will put white tape over any emblems on your white coat.

Short sleeve vs long seems like a trivial point since your white coat will have long sleeves.

Dress professionally and conservatively; if you can't figure that out by this point then you are exactly the type of person that should be concerned about this exam.

i even rolled up my white coat sleeves. just look professional like you would at the hospital.

no identifying marks can be on the white coat.

Members don't see this ad :)
No pens.

They supply you with them. Here is the drill: all personal belongings with exceptions of your snacks/gum, cash, id, credit cards go in the locker. They are pretty anal about this (and with everything else) no watch either. - and of course make sure to bring the paperwork for them. Only "medical" things you need are your whitecoat and your stethoscope. Everything else will be in the exam room

But you can put as much as you want in the locker - I would leave my overnight bag in the car or at the front of the hotel if possible but you get the point.

Even if you take it in the winter, I would rec short sleeves if for no other reason than to eliminate overheating from anxiety/ sweating.

The test itself is not the main obstacle; its all the hoops that surround it! You feel on trial rather than in a test.
Oh as to the handwashing - easier to put on gloves; quicker and you can remain facing the patient, no wet hands. And its just a check box.

I'd go with short sleeves... everyone was complaining about being hot during my test day...

when i took the exam the pt rooms were boiling, to the point where i was sweating (im sure a little bit of anxiety was partly to blame as well), but the hallways where we stood and wrote out the pt notes were pretty cold. i got a head ache from the extreme temps

I would suggest a lab coat that read in big fonts:
1. something along the line of: Medical student of the year - on the front,
2. on the shoulder make a logo of one of the top 3 schools in the country you can think of.
3.if they cover it, partially uncover it - why not

that will increase your chance of passing,
good luck

I would suggest a lab coat that read in big fonts:
1. something along the line of: Medical student of the year - on the front,
2. on the shoulder make a logo of one of the top 3 schools in the country you can think of.
3.if they cover it, partially uncover it - why not

that will increase your chance of passing,
good luck

great advice! :thumbup:

great advice! :thumbup:
Well, what ever it takes to impress the subject patients:D
remember, it is not about how much you know, but rather how much you can impress the subject patients.
"I am here to take care of you today" when you really mean that you are there to get your grade.
or when leaving the room I would ask "do you have any question?", but in my head say "please dont ask, I am out of time." and when they ask, reply "I am glad you asked ..." when you really want to say " are you trying to fail me :mad:"

now having taken the exam, i can officially answer the real question. they do cover the emblem on your white coat so dont worry about what kind of lab coat you bring as long as it looks professional.