Step 2CS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD FACP
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you introduce yourself as Dr. so and so.....or as a medical student? Does it matter? I'm currently a student...but I just thought the doc sounds better...

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

What we were told during the test is that we could introduce ourselves however we wanted. The patient does not know if you are an MSIV, MS III, Doctor, PhD, or med school drop out turned stripper. We were even told that you could make up a different name with every patient if you wanted to.

I always introduced myself with my first name, last name and then MSIV. Just do what is comfortable. The patients don't really care.

I just said Dr XX, it was simple and less complicated.

All day long, the staff at the center referred to us as doctors. Even during check-in we were Dr so-and-so. I just took their lead and introduced myself as doctor. Although, when I have had standardized patients at my own school, I've always introduced myself as a medical student. I really do think it's whatever you want to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
All day long, the staff at the center referred to us as doctors. Even during check-in we were Dr so-and-so. I just took their lead and introduced myself as doctor. Although, when I have had standardized patients at my own school, I've always introduced myself as a medical student. I really do think it's whatever you want to do.

As you said, during clerkships I always introduce my self as MS IV...but in the test I heard you can say DR. I guess i will go by that...since next year...its gonna be for real anyway!

I have a hard to pronounce Hebrew name...Should I just pick a English name then? Hi, I'm Dr. Natalie Portman. :love: