Step 2 timing in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

melonque

I only get 204 on Step 1, and will apply to EM, but I am afraid that I won't do any better than 204 in Step 2 if I take it in 3 weeks. But if I take it like in December or even after, will residency program know that I took the test, but choose not releasing the score in ERAS? If they know, then I guess they will definitely think that I must have done bad in the test, and that's why I withhold the score...Right? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

why not just take the exam and release the score?? a 204 isn't impressive, and if you do better it might help. if you do the same chances are it won't hurt.

common sense tells me that unless you absolutely rock step 1, you should take step 2 asap because it might help, but is unlikely to hurt you.

melonque said:
I only get 204 on Step 1, and will apply to EM, but I am afraid that I won't do any better than 204 in Step 2 if I take it in 3 weeks. But if I take it like in December or even after, will residency program know that I took the test, but choose not releasing the score in ERAS? If they know, then I guess they will definitely think that I must have done bad in the test, and that's why I withhold the score...Right? Thanks.

Programs will know you took the test if:
a) your applications go out AFTER you've taken Step 2
b)you tell them

If you take the exam after your applications are due, and do not release the scores, programs may get an updated score report, but obviously will want to know what the score is. You cannot start a residency program without passing the exam - are you planning on taking the exam in december or later, withholding scores and then dropping out of the match if you don't get a score you want? Seems to me like you'll be wasting a lot of money by postponing the test until so late, and then not releasing the scores. If apps aren't due until after your scores are in, that's another story, but the timing leaves me confused.

melonque said:
Question 1: Kim, do you mean that the programs can still find out that I take the test in November by requesting an updated scpre report themselves!? even if I turn in my application next month.

Q2: Usually when do the programs get an updated score report?

Thank you so much for all these help.

Things may have changed since I applied a few years ago, but I thought that an updated score report was sent to ERAS when you took any additional tests, that score report (even if you chose not to release scores, the report would still show that you took the test) would be uploaded to the server and programs to which you applied could potentially download it for your files. I don't think programs can request and get an updated score report without your permission (and besides, few would make the effort).

I would definitely not take my word for it, but check with the NRMP and see if a score report is automatically sent JUST to you, or if anyone else receives it (ie, your school which might send it to ERAS).