Step 2 + Rank List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pox in a box

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that programs need a Step 2 score before they will rank you?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an IMG, I am almost certain that programs will not rank you unless you've passed all the exams required for ECFMG cert...b/c if by rank list deadline in Feb you have not passed Step 1, 2 CK, and 2 CS, the NRMP will automatically withdraw you from the Match. I'm assuming that programs are aware of this.

If you are an IMG, I am almost certain that programs will not rank you unless you've passed all the exams required for ECFMG cert...b/c if by rank list deadline in Feb you have not passed Step 1, 2 CK, and 2 CS, the NRMP will automatically withdraw you from the Match. I'm assuming that programs are aware of this.

goldengate is correct... No step 2 CK and CS means they cant rank on February 2007.

How about US grads - do you have to have a CS score back before they rank you, or is having taken it enough? I won't have scores back until March from my currently scheduled date.

I'm from a U.S. allopathic school. I wasn't planning to take CS for months (after match). Does CK have to be in prior to this too?

For US grads, I think it is program dependent. I remember last year some people complaining about not being able to get CS done in time, but none of the programs I applied to even asked about it.

Having been through the interview process from the program point of view now I remember that many of the people (AMGs) we ranked either had not yet taken CS or had taken it and the score had not been reported, and one or two hadn't taken CK yet either. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO HAVE TAKEN BOTH PARTS OF STEP TWO TO BE RANKED!

Many medical schools require only that you have taken the exams prior to graduation, and lots of residency programs require you to have passed both parts PRIOR TO STARTING RESIDENCY. This means that very few, if any, interns have not yet taken CS prior to July 1. Check with your school to find out their requirement for CK and CS, but plan on having them both done and scored prior to starting residency.

An administrator at my (AMG) school stated that it is possible, but not highly likely, that a program director could look favorably on an applicant who had successfully passed Step2 CS- not that this would win a PD over, but could add to your other accomplishments. I seriously doubt not taking it would count against you, and I'm planning to take it as late as possible.