Step 2 Drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BibFortuna

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Step 1: 248
Step 2: 238

Just got my Step 2 score back yesterday and I want to do anesthesia. How screwed am I with a 10 point drop? Have one publication from college and on a couple other research projects in med school that I'm hoping to get published soon. Do anesthesia programs view Step 2 as a threshold score if you do well on Step 1 or am I totally screwed with this score? Can't describe how pissed I am after feeling solid after a decent step 1 and then totally blowing it

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's still a decent score. As long as the rest of your ap looks good and you target a sufficient number of programs, you should be ok.
Yeah I mean I still passed by a large amount but it's the percentile rank that is devastating. Everyone else does better on step 2 so a 238 is like a 30th percentile now. I'm just wondering how much programs care about step 2 at this point if you did well on step 1. But even then a 30th percentile score is feels like a death sentence

Yeah I mean I still passed by a large amount but it's the percentile rank that is devastating. Everyone else does better on step 2 so a 238 is like a 30th percentile now. I'm just wondering how much programs care about step 2 at this point if you did well on step 1. But even then a 30th percentile score is feels like a death sentence
It would potentially affect the decisions of PD's in specialties with way more applicants than spaces.
They need to use something to screen when all the candidates are overqualified.
Most everyone else just wants to see a good margin of passing.
Luckily, most folks will just be happy just to see a strong Step 1.