Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lame_brain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a silly question but...for Step 2 CS did you shake the patient's hand when you went into the room and introduced yourself? I know First Aid recommends it, but it seems kind of bizarre to shake the patient's hand before washing your hands (especially since you just came from examining another patient).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the examinee should begin every single encounter by shaking the patient's hand and introducing him or herself as Dr. XXXXXX

I know this is a silly question but...for Step 2 CS did you shake the patient's hand when you went into the room and introduced yourself? I know First Aid recommends it, but it seems kind of bizarre to shake the patient's hand before washing your hands (especially since you just came from examining another patient).

Make sure you wash your hands when you leave a room. (or use alcohol pump) Then you have less to worry about when you shake their hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this dumb or could you wash your hands when you enter the room then shake their hand?

I shook SP's hand when i entered the room and washed my hands before i started doing the physical exam.

Is this dumb or could you wash your hands when you enter the room then shake their hand?

You could, but then it would be rude when they hold out their hand to walk over to the sink. Just walk in the room, shake their hand, introduce yourself, then go over and wash your hands. When you are done the exam, go wash your hands again just to be sure that they see you.

This is not something to worry about. Just make sure they get washed early on and you drape the patient appropriately.