USMLE Step 2 CS Ophthalmoscope model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgimou

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the exact name of the ophthalmoscope model that is provided at Step 2 CS testing centres?

I don't have an ophthalmoscope and I'm about to buy one. I would like it to be exactly the same model as the one that I will use at Step 2 CS.

Please help me out. Having googled for a reasonable amount of time I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Waste of money and completely unnecessary.

The ophthalmoscope we used was attached to the wall.

I know many people would agree with you, but here is my reasoning.

I'm an IMG. I have never used an ophthalmoscope. I know I might need to use one at Step 2 CS. Hence, I need to learn how to use it. For this I need to buy one. I'd rather it be exactly the same as at the actual exam.

So does anybody know what model is provided at Step 2 CS?

You can try looking up on YouTube video. A lot of simple but helpful videos out there. Left hand left eye, right hand right eye is the the most basic lol

Members don't see this ad :)
You can try looking up on YouTube video. A lot of simple but helpful videos out there. Left hand left eye, right hand right eye is the the most basic lol
Thanks for the hint. I have already done that. Now I probably need to practice this skill. So I need an ophthalmoscope. And I would like to know the model used at step 2 cs. Does anyone happen to know the name of the model?

Thanks for the hint. I have already done that. Now I probably need to practice this skill. So I need an ophthalmoscope. And I would like to know the model used at step 2 cs. Does anyone happen to know the name of the model?
I believe the ones in Houston were the Heine EN100 ophthalmoscope and otoscope combo. They wholesale for about USD$950, but if you are only going to buy one it will cost you considerably more through a dealer.

Or you could practice at home using a spoon or a wooden stick, and at the testing site spend 60 seconds learning the model's exact operation during the exam orientation. That's what the Americans do and they do okay on this exam.

How did you get through US style clinical training (or clinical training from any country, really) and never use an ophthalmoscope though? Genuinely curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I believe the ones in Houston were the Heine EN100 ophthalmoscope and otoscope combo. They wholesale for about USD$950, but if you are only going to buy one it will cost you considerably more through a dealer.

Or you could practice at home using a spoon or a wooden stick, and at the testing site spend 60 seconds learning the model's exact operation during the exam orientation. That's what the Americans do and they do okay on this exam.

How did you get through US style clinical training (or clinical training from any country, really) and never use an ophthalmoscope though? Genuinely curious.

Sazerac, thank you for answering my question. $950 seems quite expensive, but I think I'll figure something out.

I am an IMG, and for some reason ophthalmoscopy is not a part of general clinical training in my country. I realize this is a gap in my clinical skills, so I'll work on it.

From what I've read on forums, I got the impression that many US students tend to say that buying an ophthalmoscope is a waste of money. If you have one in the hospital that you can use at any time, then it probably is a waste of money. But if buying one, is the only feasible way to get confident with the instrument (and for me this is the case), then I'd rather get one.

Sazerac, thank you for answering my question. $950 seems quite expensive, but I think I'll figure something out.

I am an IMG, and for some reason ophthalmoscopy is not a part of general clinical training in my country. I realize this is a gap in my clinical skills, so I'll work on it.

From what I've read on forums, I got the impression that many US students tend to say that buying an ophthalmoscope is a waste of money. If you have one in the hospital that you can use at any time, then it probably is a waste of money. But if buying one, is the only feasible way to get confident with the instrument (and for me this is the case), then I'd rather get one.

95% of your patient encounters during CS will not require/need an ophtalmoscope exam. For the ones that one would be expected, half the time you will probably run out of time to do a proper complete exam and you can probably make up the missing points doing some other expected physical exam (i.e. another aspect of a good neuro exam looking for increased ICP). Regardless, even if you were to do an exam, you will not have findings associated with it. It is a minimal portion of the exam (I honestly can't even remember using it during the exam). Of course at some point you should learn how to use it, but you don't need to for CS.

TLDR: You don't need to use an opthalmoscope to pass CS.

95% of your patient encounters during CS will not require/need an ophtalmoscope exam. For the ones that one would be expected, half the time you will probably run out of time to do a proper complete exam and you can probably make up the missing points doing some other expected physical exam (i.e. another aspect of a good neuro exam looking for increased ICP). Regardless, even if you were to do an exam, you will not have findings associated with it. It is a minimal portion of the exam (I honestly can't even remember using it during the exam). Of course at some point you should learn how to use it, but you don't need to for CS.

TLDR: You don't need to use an opthalmoscope to pass CS.

Thanks for the info, xffan624.

Would it be correct to say that doctors in the US use ophthalmoscopy routinely?