USMLE Step 2 CS [Oct 7 - Nov] Reporting Period Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

de21218

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
just a few more days....

Members don't see this ad.

I am extremely nervous, I hate waiting for test results especially this exam. Very few objective measures to guide more subjective

Same here very nervous.

Mistakes I made:
1. Case 1: didn't ask proper questions forgot the mnemonic, got a little flustered. Didn't do PE properly.
2. Case 4- didn't do proper PE for MSK patient.
3. Rest of cases went alright, but in my closure I always mentioned that I will order such and such tests then will discuss diagnosis based on results.
4. didn't talk to patient while washing hands.
5. probably lots of other minor or major mistakes: not sure if I mentioned something in PN that I didn't ask or do in PE.
6. My 2 DDx on most cases, but didn't know for sure basically felt like I was guessing.
7. remember counseling only 1 patient with smoking and alcohol.

Things I did right->
knocked, was courteous when doing PE, showed empathy, offered glass of water when patient coughed. always did a closure except in one case I ran out of time.
didn't miss writing any of the PN sections.

Will update. hope we all pass.

IMG here, never saw patients since 2013 and will never see one again if i passed this exam :rofl:
Took my exam in Chicago, its my second attempt !!!! really scared even i feel that i preformed decent but still scared because of the flashbacks, few cases (4 cases out of 12) i had to stick with only 1 differential and thats all, i mean i couldnt get more because i didnt have enough support.
In one case i wrote a physical sign spelling wrong due to high intensity of the exam !! even though i preformed it and it was +ve ! another case i forgot to ask a very important question that will clear the diagnosis 100 %. For the challenging question i feel it was 50/50 but what made me comfortable was after finishing a challenging question i let them ask another one !
2 cases that i mistakenly talked unclear "due to STRESSSSSS !!! " ( my first attempt my SEP was very high).
What im scared about is the ICE because the first attempt i only needed one star to pass this exam !!!!!!!! i made sure i put at least +4 justification ( one case i put around 12 justification )
One case i shocked the pt. with my diagnosis and yes the pt. was shocked. Another pt. had around 4 things to council about half of encounter was counseling :'(
Things i think i did great in this exam :
1- knocked the door
2- called the pt. by his name and asked his preferred name
3- while i put gloves on my hand i talked with the pt. ( and made sure i was looking at him ), smile and talk about life
4- Showed empathy, and showed that im really concerned about his situation
5-finished all the encounter except 3-4 cases before time
6- i think my work up was superb but forgot 1 or 2 tests in the entire encounters and one work up i misspell it

------------------------------------
I really hope i can pass this time i really dont want to repeat the whole process ! it was creepy and painful :bucktooth::arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy ****
i passed with a very high performance !!! in all 3 sections !!
OMG OMG i cant believe it !!!

Reactions: 1 user
I PASSED. I took it phily also an IMG from US. Don't take this exam lightly. I read through all of FA and did the Uworld PE videos. practiced timing myself with 10 cases daily for the last 7 days. before that for 2 weeks I went to information and tried to get myself accustomed to what I need to do like memorizing the mnemonics and such.
good luck to the rest.

Crap, I'm too too scared to open the email. My hearts racing too fast right now. Got worried at one second since I didn't get an email, but since my wifi is horrible, i see the email in my inbox.

Took in Houston on August 25th, very scared I failed, do the scores come out in any sort of order? I have nothing in my email.

Took mine in late July in Chicago. Was a little too close on the ICE portion but passed anyway. Congrats everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed with high performance. My second time taking this exam and I can honestly tell you I didn't change much of anything. It was the luck of the draw. The exam should be discontinued. Anyhow if anyone wants to know what I did please feel free to contact me

I passed with high performance. My second time taking this exam and I can honestly tell you I didn't change much of anything. It was the luck of the draw. The exam should be discontinued. Anyhow if anyone wants to know what I did please feel free to contact me

Where'd you take the exam each time?

I passed! OMG I'm soo happy! That was one of the most nerve-wracking opening of scores I've ever had. I was literally shaking! Thank God! I passed Yay!!!
Took 8/4 in Houston, Texas

Last edited:
Best advice I can give is to find a partner, either in person or on Skype, and go through all of the cases in First Aid. Time yourself in order to pace yourself. Have your H&P mnemonics. Practice writing out the note after each case...timed. Don't feel like you have to examine every system in a focused physical exam. As annoying as it is to practice, this is the only way to prepare yourself. Feel free to PM me with more specific questions.

Anyone know if you took the exam at the start of a reporting period block whether you can expect to get your results back at the earlier end of the reporting period? Or is everyone all at once. I took mine in the first week of the given period, and i believe the reporting period for my exam is Dec-9-Jan 7. Hoping to get it back very early december (took my exam in early september)

Anyone know if you took the exam at the start of a reporting period block whether you can expect to get your results back at the earlier end of the reporting period? Or is everyone all at once. I took mine in the first week of the given period, and i believe the reporting period for my exam is Dec-9-Jan 7. Hoping to get it back very early december (took my exam in early september)

I took mine near the end of the testing period and still got it on the first day of the reporting period. Everyone I have personally spoken to has got their scores on the first day of the period. Just for your knowledge, I have pasted the official policy below (I'm guessing you've already read it but there it is anyway):

For each "Testing Period" in the above schedule, Step 2 CS scores are released every Wednesday over a corresponding four-to five-week "Reporting Period." It is expected that results for the vast majority of examinees who take the exam during the testing period will be reported on the first Wednesday of the Reporting Period. Results for 98%-99% of examinees who take the exam during the testing period are reported by the third Wednesday in a Reporting Period. For a small percentage of examinees (1%-2%), scoring and quality assurance may be not completed in time for these examinees to be reported by the first three reporting dates; these will typically be examinees who took the exam in the latter part of the testing period. Results for these examinees will be reported each week throughout the reporting period, and should be reported no later than the last day of the score reporting period.

I took mine near the end of the testing period and still got it on the first day of the reporting period. Everyone I have personally spoken to has got their scores on the first day of the period. Just for your knowledge, I have pasted the official policy below (I'm guessing you've already read it but there it is anyway):

For each "Testing Period" in the above schedule, Step 2 CS scores are released every Wednesday over a corresponding four-to five-week "Reporting Period." It is expected that results for the vast majority of examinees who take the exam during the testing period will be reported on the first Wednesday of the Reporting Period. Results for 98%-99% of examinees who take the exam during the testing period are reported by the third Wednesday in a Reporting Period. For a small percentage of examinees (1%-2%), scoring and quality assurance may be not completed in time for these examinees to be reported by the first three reporting dates; these will typically be examinees who took the exam in the latter part of the testing period. Results for these examinees will be reported each week throughout the reporting period, and should be reported no later than the last day of the score reporting period.

wow congrats on passing cs....how many simple and big mistakes you committed on exam including Hx and PE/PN......How comfortable you passed above borderline in eah component of scoring....

wow congrats on passing cs....how many simple and big mistakes you committed on exam including Hx and PE/PN......How comfortable you passed above borderline in eah component of scoring....

My score profile is below. I made quite a few mistakes. I took it in August, so it's hard to remember now (although I felt I could remember dozens right after):
These included forgetting to do a neuro exam on a broken limb 2/2 abuse, forgetting to asking about smokers in the home for a kid with asthma and frequent AOM, running out of time for counseling with one patient, not knowing a diagnosis for 1 or 2 of the cases, and the list goes on and on. Just remember that all NBME/USMLE exams, the curve is very generous.
upload_2015-10-26_13-21-11.png

Last edited: