Step 2 Cs -fundoscopy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC2KGILL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
can anyone please tell me how often we have to do fundoscopy during step 2 CS?I think i am not very good at it.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not encounter any cases in which Fundoscopy was indicated. It's unlikely to show up on your exam. Even if it does, you just have to go through the motions and physically do it, so you'll get the points anyway!

I had a couple cases where it was indicated (syncope, HTN, DM), but b/c of time decided (beforehand for all cases) that I would not do it. I passed w/o doing it...

I did it for 2 out of my 12 cases in philly. I think its good to do if you have time in any case with HTN or vision changes (my 2 cases), because it shows that you're thinking about serious complications, not just going through the motions. and the best part is, they have no idea if you're doing it correctly...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the biggest problem is "pupils dilated"
It is very difficult to see fundi in a normal eye.
With light reflex, the pupils become even more smaller.
How can we see fundi through such a small pupil?
I have some Oph doctor friends. They told me that a very experienced Oph doctor can see the fundi without pupil dilate.

Turn down/off the room lights. Make sure your ophthalmoscope isn't cranked up to the max light output. You just need to see, not burn a hole through their head.
I think the biggest problem is "pupils dilated"
It is very difficult to see fundi in a normal eye.
With light reflex, the pupils become even more smaller.
How can we see fundi through such a small pupil?
I have some Oph doctor friends. They told me that a very experienced Oph doctor can see the fundi without pupil dilate.

Turn down/off the room lights. Make sure your ophthalmoscope isn't cranked up to the max light output. You just need to see, not burn a hole through their head.
What??? I thought the point was to look until their head caught on fire. Man, maybe I should repeat my ophtho rotation.