step 2 CS - fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BearsBeetsBattlestar

CS Lewis
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! IMG here! I took step 2 CS recently and I'm already freaking out... I'm afraid I might have failed:( So I beg you guys for your honest opinion about what I did wrong. I'm specifically concerned about my ICE (PE most importantly). It would be really great to hear people's experiences, bad or good.

1. I performed a VERY focused PE in all cases... Meaning no heart, lungs unless it was a CVS/RS case (there were about 4 of them) and a CVS in 1 psych case. My question is: how important it is to write a complete PE section? How is it graded?

2. 3 RS cases: did RS and CVS, but no HEENT. I was always afraid of running out of time and not being able to counsel properly.

3. In one case (one of the last ones) I was really tired and the SP talked really fast.. She asked a question and I couldn't understand properly. I asked her to repeat and I still couldn't understand, so I said: "don't worry, I'll make sure I'll help you, blah blah". I didn't have trouble understanding the other pt though. Actually I had 2 more awkward moments w 2 other pt..Not w regards to understanding them, just awkward moments when I said smth weird.

4. I forgot to ask Ob/gyn questions for a lot of F pt

5. I almost always ran out of time on my PN. But I made sure I wrote my DDX and work up. My PE was always VERY short though;/ (especially bc I usually didn't do the CVS and RS on the pt).

Things I did right:
1. Introduced myself, knocked on the door.
2. asked if they felt comfortable
3. tried to answer all their questions as much as i could.
4. washed my hands always. Tried to be empathetic.
5 tried to explain what could be the cause of their symptoms in a simple way.
6 Almost always finished on time or 1 min before
7 did counseling
8. I had good DDX I believe... Although for some of the cases I had only 2, and it was usually supported by 3 points in average.. Some of them by 2 (the least probable ones). Some by none (third one.. Usually bc ran out of time)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First off, congratulations on getting through it. A lot of people think they failed right after, even though the overwhelming majority pass.

In terms of the PE, I think focused PE is best, but I also did CVS and RS for everyone so I could add it to the note. Don't think it will make a difference between passing and failing though.

I only did HEENT if it was needed, so don't worry about not doing HEENT for everyone.

The patient you were having trouble understanding- I have seen in other posts that people have had SPs that was difficult to understand. It may be part of the dynamic of the case. I personally did not have any difficult to understand patients, but once again, I don't think its going to make the difference between pass and fail.

Hope this helps...i know it sucks waiting so long for results now

First off, congratulations on getting through it. A lot of people think they failed right after, even though the overwhelming majority pass.

In terms of the PE, I think focused PE is best, but I also did CVS and RS for everyone so I could add it to the note. Don't think it will make a difference between passing and failing though.

I only did HEENT if it was needed, so don't worry about not doing HEENT for everyone.

The patient you were having trouble understanding- I have seen in other posts that people have had SPs that was difficult to understand. It may be part of the dynamic of the case. I personally did not have any difficult to understand patients, but once again, I don't think its going to make the difference between pass and fail.

Hope this helps...i know it sucks waiting so long for results now

Thank you very much for your reply! This waiting is a freaking torture...It's really nice to hear someone else's experience :)

Sooo did you pass? It's such a bummer when people don't post their outcomes. Hope you got by, friend!

Members don't see this ad :)
I PASSED!!!!!
Thank God, not me. All the glory to Him. I was sure I was gonna fail, not bc I'm not capable, but I had very little prep time (less than 2 weeks), and even in those 2 weeks I didn't really use my time wisely. Maybe i was a bit depressed at the time.
I did so many wrong things...

I've been praying hard for the last days, and last week I had a dream that I would pass, bc Jesus would honour me. I prayed again yesterday and I felt a very powerful peace in my heart, so I started to thank God for the pass, yesterday already. And I knew it would be by a borderline on the ICE component (almost failing). And so it happened. God is great!

Btw, my permit link didn’t disappear at all. It’s still there.

Study hard, be confident on the test day. But never hesitate to ask for HIS help. May God bless all of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users