Step 1: when do they stop caring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGeek42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now here's a question of probably only theoretical interest. I presume nobody cares how badly you've failed, but past what number do they stop caring how well you did? Are people with 250 and 260 treated differently by residency programs? How about 260 and 270?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that most programs use step I scores as a cutoff. In other words, they won't differentiate between applicants who scored 245 versus 260 if their cutoff is 240. I would say that if you score 240+, you will be safe in terms of cutoffs for just about all specialties. A radiology prof just told us all today that once the secretary of the PD decides who gets interviews by looking at board scores, school, grades, etc; your interview makes or breaks your application. That's not to say other things don't matter because they do because a lot of times, the interview is the first time that your interviewer is even looking at your application and probably will be the only time that he or she will read your application carefully. So if you have outstanding research experience and the interviewer likes that, that should be reflected in his or her evaluation of you. Remember that faculty members are looking for residents who they would enjoy being around and wouldn't mind working with above everything else because a bad resident can make other residents and faculty members lives miserable even if he or she scored 270 on their step I.