Step 1 Studying During M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnie11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to begin (lightly) preparing for Step 1 alongside a systems based curriculum? Is there a particular resource (First Aid, Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Sketchy etc.) that would be valuable to pass through once prior to starting a stricter study schedule during M2/dedicated? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the best way to begin (lightly) preparing for Step 1 alongside a systems based curriculum? Is there a particular resource (First Aid, Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Sketchy etc.) that would be valuable to pass through once prior to starting a stricter study schedule during M2/dedicated? Thank you!
I don't start M1 till July, but from what I have heard from current students during interviews and on here is that the best way to prep for step 1 is to focus on classes during M1 and actually understand the material, not just memorize. Also, first aid is good to follow with your classes

Learning it well the first time will save you having to extensively review during dedicated/M2 blocks. Put the work in now so you won't have to later.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your curriculum is systems based, I'd recommend trying to get a group discount for a 21 month Pathoma sub to use alongside your classes. Also, go through the corresponding FA section as well. Otherwise focus in your classes and learn the fundamentals by reading a textbook of your choice.

You shouldn't be studying for Step I during M1. Save it for Xmas of M2.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not in med school yet but my take is why not use "board" resources (B&B, Sketchy, Pathoma etc) to learn the material well? Especially if your curriculum is pass/fail. It's not like your profs are going to fill your tests with the most minute, lowest yield material. Because it's just that. Low yield and not as important as material presented in board resources. To me you should easily be able to use B&B and Pathoma to learn material well and supplement with lecture material as needed as well as use Sketchy as a learning tool to memorize bugs and drugs. Especially because you don't really know how well the professor is going to teach said material whereas B&B and Pathoma are known to be incredible for learning.

Reactions: 1 user
Rising M2 here.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to master the concepts the first time around. If you don't then that is just wasted time that you can't afford. That is 100% without a doubt the best thing you can do. It shows you what you are capable of academically and contributes to class rank/AOA ranking if that matters to you and your career aspirations.

I would try and get familiar with ANKI and see if it works for you. If it is something you can get down with, I would highly recommend ZANKI which is essentially First Aid in flashcard form. It is free to download on Reddit. Perhaps keep up with relevant topics as you cover the organ systems in your curriculum (provided your school is systems based). I have found it INFINITELY more useful than simply reading the FA text.

I would avoid getting into any more serious boards studying than that M1. You really want to get your feet wet, get grounded, and work out how to study.

Take this advice with a grain of salt. I am just a single medical student (US MD) at a single school with no STEP 1 score yet.

I focused solely on my classes the first year and I have few regrets. Catching up on Zanki and beginning board planning this summer and, while there are details I don't remember (which cluster of differentiation is decay accelerating factor again?), I feel confident that the topics I have covered were covered well.

That is about the best I could have hoped for. Will people do better on STEP than me? YOU BET. Do I feel confident enough to that I can work hard to the score that I need? YOU ALSO BET.

Reactions: 4 users