step 1 score cutoff for derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the minumum step 1 score you should have to feel decent about applying into derm?

Members don't see this ad.

what is the minumum step 1 score you should have to feel decent about applying into derm?

Forget about cut-offs. If you want to do it, go for it and sink your heart and soul into it even if you got a 183 on step 1. Those who are truly driven can land a spot in any field, regardless of their numbers.

i just got my board score, so i just was wondering what a reasonable minimum score would be to apply into derm

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was a second year med student, a ucla faculty member told me they had a cut off for interview of 230. May have changed since then, but i think over 230 you should make it pass most cut offs. Hope that helps.

but that doesnt mean you are in, or that you will get an interview, they look at a ton of other stuff before making either of those decisions... it just means that they will actually look at that other stuff (if it is a true cut-off), my PD doesn't make it sound like it matters if you get a 235 or a 265........ as long as it is above "decent" b/c there are so many other things about the applicant that they consider... congrats on finishing step I and welcome to 3rd year!

i guess i made the cut off then... but barely! i'm no superstar like long dong:p

i'm assuming different schools have different cut offs... what would you say ucla's cut off is? 245 and no shot if not aoa?

i guess i made the cut off then... but barely! i'm no superstar like long dong:p

i'm assuming different schools have different cut offs... what would you say ucla's cut off is? 245 and no shot if not aoa?

I'm no superstar just lucky to have matched.

As for ucla, last cycle I know they interviewed plenty of people who were in the 230s and not aoa. And most of them even matched somewhere if not there. 11 of my classmates matched in derm last year and as recall only 3 of them were aoa, I was one of them who matched and wasn't aoa.

So what you've got to do now is work your butt off on the wards, get good evals and LORs, publish some derm stuff, bring something special to the table (e.g. easy to work with, write a book, extra degrees jd/phd etc) and get to know people in derm ether at your home program or at aways who well vouch for you. One more thing did I mention you have to get to know people, so start rubbing elbows with the derm department like yesterday or from day one of med school. Hope that helps and good luck.

Hi all. I just got my scores back as well and I got a 226. I wish I had done a little better but I guess that was what I deserved on that day. I'm interested in derm but have a relatively limited background in derm. I have non-derm research and was lucky enough last application cycle to get into a great med school. Is it worth applying in derm? I would be crushed to not match on match day.

Thanks for your seasoned advice!

Hi all. I just got my scores back as well and I got a 226. I wish I had done a little better but I guess that was what I deserved on that day. I'm interested in derm but have a relatively limited background in derm. I have non-derm research and was lucky enough last application cycle to get into a great med school. Is it worth applying in derm? I would be crushed to not match on match day.

Thanks for your seasoned advice!

I guess I'll bite since no one else is. How do you expect to go out with the hot girl at the club if you don't even try to talk to her. Same thing with the match, if you don't apply how are you going to know if you'd match. And if you didn't match at least you know you tried, and got rejected by the hot girl, instead of going the rest of your life saying what if.

Don't let rumors of cut offs dissuade you from applying. Like the poster ND said above "Those who are truly driven can land a spot in any field, regardless of their numbers." If you look at the match stats people with 180s and 190s have matched in derm. While I was doing 4 year rotations one program had about 1/3 of their derm residents not match the first time around. Many of the residents there had done research fellowships after internship and a few actually even done 2 research fellowships (something like 4 years of research) before they matched. One of the residents told me "if derm is what you want, then derm is what you'll get. If you work hard, someone well eventually take notice, even if you don't have the numbers."

Research fellowship after internship is only one option if you don't match, there are many options which I thought about myself to beef up my application if I didn't match last cycle. One option to beef up you app before applying would be to work your butt off during 3rd year, try to honor all rotations and make AOA. You can also take step 2 early enough so that you can show improvement on it. Another option would be to take a year off to do research in derm and at the same time study for step 2 like there is no tomorrow. If you feel inclined even get an extra degree while you are at it, masters or phd. If you don't match I've seen people do other residencies and apply, there are people who have done a full path residencies and then a dermpath fellowship to eventually match in derm. The one option that I was going to do if I didn't match was to not graduate in 07, but take a year off to do basic sci research and reapply as a senior graduating in 08. And if that didn't work do my internship, then a fellowship and then reapply.

Derm is a tough match, even those with 260+ have been known not to match. So I think it would be smart for most applicants to be prepared for the worst, in case your match codes on you, you have a plan of attack. But in the mean time you have to get the rest of ur application in oder. Like others have said the match is more then ur step 1.

For more advice you can go to www.dermboard.com or www.derminterest.org The later site actually has PDs posting answers and advice, but for the raw uncensored stuff goto dermboard. Hope that helps.

I don't know if this question is appropriate for this thread, so hopefully I don't get flamed. Anyhow, how does the match work exactly? Do you have like a little application where you choose one specialty and a certain number of locations you choose for that specialty that you would like to match to? Or do you have a number of specialties on that list each having a few locations you wouldn't mind doing the residency at?

thanks in advance,

Rich

I guess I'll bite since no one else is. How do you expect to go out with the hot girl at the club if you don't even try to talk to her. Same thing with the match, if you don't apply how are you going to know if you'd match. And if you didn't match at least you know you tried, and got rejected by the hot girl, instead of going the rest of your life saying what if.

Don't let rumors of cut offs dissuade you from applying. Like the poster ND said above "Those who are truly driven can land a spot in any field, regardless of their numbers." If you look at the match stats people with 180s and 190s have matched in derm. While I was doing 4 year rotations one program had about 1/3 of their derm residents not match the first time around. Many of the residents there had done research fellowships after internship and a few actually even done 2 research fellowships (something like 4 years of research) before they matched. One of the residents told me "if derm is what you want, then derm is what you'll get. If you work hard, someone well eventually take notice, even if you don't have the numbers."

Research fellowship after internship is only one option if you don't match, there are many options which I thought about myself to beef up my application if I didn't match last cycle. One option to beef up you app before applying would be to work your butt off during 3rd year, try to honor all rotations and make AOA. You can also take step 2 early enough so that you can show improvement on it. Another option would be to take a year off to do research in derm and at the same time study for step 2 like there is no tomorrow. If you feel inclined even get an extra degree while you are at it, masters or phd. If you don't match I've seen people do other residencies and apply, there are people who have done a full path residencies and then a dermpath fellowship to eventually match in derm. The one option that I was going to do if I didn't match was to not graduate in 07, but take a year off to do basic sci research and reapply as a senior graduating in 08. And if that didn't work do my internship, then a fellowship and then reapply.

Derm is a tough match, even those with 260+ have been known not to match. So I think it would be smart for most applicants to be prepared for the worst, in case your match codes on you, you have a plan of attack. But in the mean time you have to get the rest of ur application in oder. Like others have said the match is more then ur step 1.

For more advice you can go to www.dermboard.com or www.derminterest.org The later site actually has PDs posting answers and advice, but for the raw uncensored stuff goto dermboard. Hope that helps.

this was such good advice. thank you :)

One more thing did I mention you have to get to know people, so start rubbing elbows with the derm department like yesterday or from day one of med school.

As an entering MS-1 who is planning on pursuing derm, how do I "rub elbows" with my home program from day one? I'm kinda clueless on where to begin?

I would find someone who is on faculty at your derm program and practices, hit them an email and see if you can shadow them one day. Then you could go from there. Mention you really are interested in derm, research, etc. Don't go nuts, but put it out there and things should come.

Hey LD, question. How often do you think is good to attend your home program's grand rounds. It's held here weekly, except the last week of the month. I've heard go once a month, I've heard go every single time. I want to do this all right, but I reeeeally dont want to be that annoying god-awful student. Your thoughts would be much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As an entering MS-1 who is planning on pursuing derm, how do I "rub elbows" with my home program from day one? I'm kinda clueless on where to begin?

Read what crys20 posted, I would just add that when you actually do meet with your derm faculty be ready to answer why derm? As a first year they might want to know how you came about being set on derm so early. You might even want to do a pub med search on that faculty to see what they have published so you can connect/smooze with them.

crys20 said:
Hey LD, question. How often do you think is good to attend your home program's grand rounds. It's held here weekly, except the last week of the month. I've heard go once a month, I've heard go every single time. I want to do this all right, but I reeeeally dont want to be that annoying god-awful student. Your thoughts would be much appreciated!
IMHO you've got to feel it out, much like dating. You want to see these people alot and get them to know and like you, but you don't want to spend to much time that they can't stand you. Like you said you don't want to be that annoying student. But you don't want to be like me ether, for a time I went to grand rounds every week but I was pretty quiet and only spoke when spoken too. I never got noticed, it was like I wasn't even there, come interview time some faculty didn't even know me.

As a first year they might want to know how you came about being set on derm so early. You might even want to do a pub med search on that faculty to see what they have published so you can connect/smooze with them.

In my case my father is a dermatologist. He is a clinician and has not really been involved in any research. Of course I've been around him and his practice my entire life (worked in his practice on the administrative side), and most recently attended some Academy of Dermatology meetings with him. I don't feel that I need to shadow to know what I am getting into. I just want to know how I can network from this point. My father knows no dermatology faculty in the area where I'm going to med school.

Thanks again for your help.

The point of shadowing isn't to see what derm is like, it's to make one initial connection with people in your home program. Once you know one person, it's easier to do things like find out who's doing research and get involved with them, go to grand rounds, meet the PD, etc. Alot of times the name of the game is doing things you don't want to do to get where you want to be.

so I only got a 222/92 on step 1. I am a 3rd year student. I have one published derm research article and I am just starting another derm research project. I honored most of my classes the first 2 years, so I'm hoping to get aoa. I also consider myself friendly, laidback but hardworking, easy to work with, and get along with. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on what my chances are of matching the first time around. I realize my step one scores kinda suck. I am willing to go anywhere really. I also wanted to know if, since I am willing to go anywhere, where are the "easier" programs to get in to, since I would like to do an away rotation there.

crys20, thanks for the advice. I think that I will follow up on your suggestion.:)

do most ppl introduce themselves to the chair of the derm dept after they decide that they definitely want to do derm?

also, when would be a good time to start going to grand rounds? just randomly during 3rd year?

i went randomly this summer b/w MS1 and MSII. i met a derm on faculty as a first year because she was assigned to me as my preceptor to learn physical skills. so met her, expressed an interest in derm, got involved with her research projects - got exceptionally lucky really. she had a party at her house for all the derm residents, faculty, etc. one of the residents i met i emailed the next day and asked about grand rounds. everyone was very welcoming and lovely! if anyone knows your interested in derm, and you form even a little bit of a relationship with them i think things come because they know how they need to introduce you too.

I was wondering numbers wise, how many people nationwide apply for dermatology each year, versus how many slots and how many people get accepted each year. Or If someone could tell me where to look this up.

Thanks

Rich

so I only got a 222/92 on step 1. I am a 3rd year student. I have one published derm research article and I am just starting another derm research project. I honored most of my classes the first 2 years, so I'm hoping to get aoa. I also consider myself friendly, laidback but hardworking, easy to work with, and get along with. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on what my chances are of matching the first time around. I realize my step one scores kinda suck. I am willing to go anywhere really. I also wanted to know if, since I am willing to go anywhere, where are the "easier" programs to get in to, since I would like to do an away rotation there.

Like I said above to the other person with the step 1 in the 220s you never know if you don't try. Having published in derm already is a big plus, and hopefully you can get some more out by time of applications. If you can continue to honor your rotations and get aoa that'll help. Also you might wanna take step 2 early and try to rock it. I didn't have any pubs, wasn't aoa and didn't know faculty well when I applied, and I think this was the reason I only had 4 interviews (very demoralizing/humbling).

Since you've already published your derm faculty should already know you, just make sure they vouch for you being "friendly, laidback but hardworking, easy to work with, and get along with." This alone might do more for you then having a high board score, since derm is such a small field. Who you know is very important, that's why I keep on harping on rubbing elbows starting yesterday.

As for "easier" programs to get into, IMHO I don't think any exsist. I think most applicants if they get in should count their blessings and praise the lord. You could focus on your home program and those programs deemed geographically undesirable (superstars less likely to rank these places high, means better for us mear mortals).

rich1234 said:
I was wondering numbers wise, how many people nationwide apply for dermatology each year, versus how many slots and how many people get accepted each year. Or If someone could tell me where to look this up.

If you go here on page 22 it states 546 people ranked derm for 316 spots in 2005. As I understand it these are the people who applied and got interviews and not all those who actually applied. From a source on another board I've read that ~900 applied for ~300 spots. If I find a link I'll post it.

My PD did tell me that 50% of people match at their home PD or one they did an away at