Step 1 P/F choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rexcouver11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I'm an M2 at a midtier school with a strong home derm program. I expect to have a solid number of publications and feel like I am building connections in the department. Our curriculum is set up in a way that our dedicated period occurs during the step 1 p/f change, meaning that I have the choice to take it scored or pass/fail. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether or not you think it would be an advantage to have a high score when compared to applicants who just have passes or if you think it would be a stupid gamble to take it scored. It's a decision I didn't think I would have to make and I'm unsure what to do. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M2 at a midtier school with a strong home derm program. I expect to have a solid number of publications and feel like I am building connections in the department. Our curriculum is set up in a way that our dedicated period occurs during the step 1 p/f change, meaning that I have the choice to take it scored or pass/fail. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether or not you think it would be an advantage to have a high score when compared to applicants who just have passes or if you think it would be a stupid gamble to take it scored. It's a decision I didn't think I would have to make and I'm unsure what to do. Thank you!

I think it would depend on whether or not you are a strong test taker.

If so, having a high score on Step 1 is always going to be better than just a pass

Reactions: 1 user

I would take it P/F. It's likely that most of your peers will and derm programs will move largely beyond Step scores to evaluate candidates - From an "inside" perspective - clinical grades are way more important to me than Step scores when evaluating applicants anyway.

A high score gets you past filters in a derm, but doesn't provide much else in benefit. A low score may look negatively on you. Why take the risk if there is little benefit to a high score and potential for risk if you get a low score.

Reactions: 1 user