STEP 1 ........CT, MRI, Slides,Pics...........?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmommy1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Does Anyone know if we REALLY need to KNOW how to identify all the pics..ct's, path slides, mri's on step 1 .....etc.........or can one predict and answer based on the question history and clues etc...given in the text??????

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Sometimes you can get by without the path pics...however, you SHOULD know radiology for the step 1 anatomy section.

Hey thanks medgeek42....have you taken step 1 yet....sounds like you have...i've heard there's lots of ct's and mri's , know anything bout that?

I wouldnt say LOTS, from what I have seen. I can think of a few relevant situations where MRI/CT would be indicated, but I couldnt imagine it even comes close to affecting 10% of the test. Anyone have a different experience? WHat always gets me are those drawn neuroanatomy cross-sections with the "localize the infarct" type questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now to 'localize the infart' wouldn't they give enough relevant clinical features to figure it out w/o the pic.

Originally posted by drmommy1
Now to 'localize the infart' wouldn't they give enough relevant clinical features to figure it out w/o the pic.

yep, they give enough info to localize it, but it is still a pain! i hated those cord/brain stem cross sections myself....

i had maybe 5 images on my whole test. the neuroanatomy question that i recall was a picture, and they made me identify cranial nerve 7, pretty straitforward. personally, i think that learning images is a) low yield and b) unnecessary because the info from the vignette is usually enough. focus on other things...