STEP 1 Advice Needed! Doctors in Training vs. USMLERx vs. Boards and Beyond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kred

Reaction score
Advice Needed! Doctors in Training vs. USMLERx vs. Boards and Beyond for STEP 1

I'm an IMG from India, and I'm prepping for Step 1. I kind of feel lost and overwhelmed with so many resources available and I'm getting confused as what to use.

I would like to go into OBGyn, so I'd like to score around 250.

I have access to Kaplan materials (videos and text) already and have been using that but I'm struggling to find a structure.

I know the mandatory resources I should be using are First Aid, UWorld and Pathoma/Goljan.

I just need advice, if you will, on how to structure my days as an IMG (because we're weak in basics since we don't have lecture notes to rely on like US med students do). Also, which is better for going over First Aid? DIT, UsmleRx Express videos, or Boards and Beyond?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Advice Needed! Doctors in Training vs. USMLERx vs. Boards and Beyond for STEP 1

I'm an IMG from India, and I'm prepping for Step 1. I kind of feel lost and overwhelmed with so many resources available and I'm getting confused as what to use.

I would like to go into OBGyn, so I'd like to score around 250.

I have access to Kaplan materials (videos and text) already and have been using that but I'm struggling to find a structure.

I know the mandatory resources I should be using are First Aid, UWorld and Pathoma/Goljan.

I just need advice, if you will, on how to structure my days as an IMG (because we're weak in basics since we don't have lecture notes to rely on like US med students do). Also, which is better for going over First Aid? DIT, UsmleRx Express videos, or Boards and Beyond?

Thanks so much!

Hey bud
Let me start off by saying that none of the resources that are meant for review purposes are gonna give you a detailed, in-depth understanding of fundamental and advanced concepts. Terribly sorry to say that, but it is what it is. But fret not, the exam isn't all about knowledge, you need test-taking technique as well. If you're gonna take it in six months, or less, then my recommendation would be 3 months of intensive review; Boards and Beyond is amazing but it's not for one specific step exam, so I'd say go Kaplan and take it slow over the next three months but really get the high-yields down. Plus, Kaplan lecturers explain stuff from scratch so it might help with your deficits in the basics. Once your review is done, do as many MCQs as humanly possible (Uworld, kaplan qbank are great, haven't tried Rx) and take as many NBMEs as you can afford. Use the last month or two to build your stamina. If you can't sit in a room for eight hours and solve MCQ after MCQ, there is no point of all that intensive review.
TL;DR - my humble recommendation, half our your time to review from Kaplan because the lecturers take time with things, half of your time doing MCQs, developing stamina, and mastering test-taking strategy.
Godspeed

Hey bud
Let me start off by saying that none of the resources that are meant for review purposes are gonna give you a detailed, in-depth understanding of fundamental and advanced concepts. Terribly sorry to say that, but it is what it is. But fret not, the exam isn't all about knowledge, you need test-taking technique as well. If you're gonna take it in six months, or less, then my recommendation would be 3 months of intensive review; Boards and Beyond is amazing but it's not for one specific step exam, so I'd say go Kaplan and take it slow over the next three months but really get the high-yields down. Plus, Kaplan lecturers explain stuff from scratch so it might help with your deficits in the basics. Once your review is done, do as many MCQs as humanly possible (Uworld, kaplan qbank are great, haven't tried Rx) and take as many NBMEs as you can afford. Use the last month or two to build your stamina. If you can't sit in a room for eight hours and solve MCQ after MCQ, there is no point of all that intensive review.
TL;DR - my humble recommendation, half our your time to review from Kaplan because the lecturers take time with things, half of your time doing MCQs, developing stamina, and mastering test-taking strategy.
Godspeed
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :)

Hi kred I definitely agree with the structure as suggested by Adm TS 13. Along with that you need a little cut off from outer world and need a lot of time studying and practicing a lot of stuff no matter whats going in and around the world, first and foremost thing is your career.
So go on a thorough study of kaplan videos and collecting your own notes. Also Rx is a good source of learning and practicing for MCQs and exams.