Stellate for parosmia due to long COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did a stellate for PTSD on a veteran of ST6/SAD last week. 'They' flew the guy in from a remote area to be treated. I joked with him about whether or not the sentries on the roof gave him any trouble after he fast roped down from the Blackhawk. I can't tell you what an honor it feels like to be trusted with his care and allowed to help a warrior of this caliber.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do find it comedic that the ones that seem to be most vocal against having done this - 10 years ago - are the ones who are most vocal about advocating for treatments that do not have good scientific basis, both present day and back 10 years ago.

Are any of y'all doing this 2 injection technique for PTSD?

Dual sympathetic block - "cervical sympathetic blockade at the C6 level followed by the C4 level targeting superior cervical ganglion"

Are any of y'all doing this 2 injection technique for PTSD?

Dual sympathetic block - "cervical sympathetic blockade at the C6 level followed by the C4 level targeting superior cervical ganglion"
A colleague of mine, who by far does the highest # of these in our clinic, does a dual block for every patient.

I have stuck to just a C6 block and get pretty remarkable results. I haven't really felt the need to include C4.

CT guided? nice, how did you get that training?

I didn’t. My initial comment was mocking CT guided stellates—way too much time and radiation. I just use fluoro or ultrasound.

My colleague asked me to do this, was very happy with results, but what was more surprising to me

Before doing

I talked to my neurologist buddy who trained with me at Stanford - he pointed me to an ENT at Stanford who does injections through the nose at Stanford for anosmia with PRP

But that’s not the surprising part

He said that occluding a nostril will allow you to evaluate left v right olfactory sense

I double and triple checked with him to make sure I was understanding him correctly, and he affirmed

So I wonder why the descriptions of this technique in treatment for anosmia

Have not been evaluated for unilateral anosmia improvement

Since we never do stellates bilateral on the same day

It would seem to be a very elegant mechanism to evaluate it

Then, again, I have not read the papers, maybe they do comment on that?

If so, please let me know, and I’ll go read them

Forgot to mention, I found it very interesting that olfactory sense has a laterality to it

Reactions: 1 user
Whoever denied it

Likely supplied it

Forgot to mention, I found it very interesting that olfactory sense has a laterality to it
Theoretically, this should make it easier to identify the supplier if one is able to decipher which direction the smell is coming from.

This is actually a feature of the RC-135 “Nuke sniffer” planes. They have sensors on each side of the plane, and they compare the levels of each to determine direction of source.

Now, back to the fart jokes. Apologies for the interruption.

Reactions: 1 user