Steering The Ship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillNyethePODGuy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All, long time lurker, first time opening a thread so be gentle ;)

As the name suggests, what can us Pod students do to better steer the ship of Podiatry in the right direction? Asking current students as well as anyone out in practice!

After looking through several threads regarding scope, infighting, getting jobs, residencies, hospital credentialing, board certification etc and it all comes back to a few basic issues within our community: selfishness and a lack of a united front. With other allied health and mid-levels gaining scope, we need to keep our share of the "doctor" market.

I may be a fresh student, still idealizing the field and what I've gotten myself into, but I chose Podiatry because it checked all the boxes between surgical capabilities (note I used 'capabilities' not surgical reality), specialized medicine, and a relatively wide ability to "choose your own adventure" (read: PP vs MSG vs Hospital; academic research, etc). I enjoy my classes and look forward to actually learning medicine/surgery etc so this isn't a "i goofed by choosing pod" type thing either.

The field, as I've come to understand, has undergone a lot of change from scope to education especially in the last decade, the whole bit. No history lesson but as a specialty and physicians, we're capable even more growth. Yes, I am aware of that ACFAS Joint Task Force about the USMLE and the AFOAS position statement regarding podiatry. I know that these are great first steps to *real* MD/DO parity (even though APMA said we have parity, so ya know its the truth) but they highlight the issues within the community: they acted on their own by assembling the task force, not consulting schools and other stakeholders. To me, the position statement of AFOAS seemed indifferent, leaning towards inclusivity. They are willing to back us and work with us but we have to present a united front to the USMLE and ABMS and make the hard choices as to what needs to happen. Simply asking to take the USMLE did more harm than good.

Between the boards being money hungry and competitive with one another (looking at you ABPM (glaring at the COQ stupidity)) and old pods being violently indifferent if not outwardly selfish, us young folk entering the field face an uphill battle with Podiatry.

What do you think? Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is just like anything... make your own luck.

Some quick tips:
-ditch the inferiority complex
-get good residency training
-pass boards (student, resident qual, attending cert)
-be flexible on location - definitely for good residency training, as you find reasonable for jobs
-realize that a first "terrible" associate job can still pay bills, teach skills, and may make you appreciate a new job/entrepreneur gig more later on
-realize that hospitals and groups largely have little idea of our training or lack thereof... this works for and against you
-realize that podiatry is somewhat saturated, and there's often a person (or many) who'd do your job MSG/PP/ortho/hosp for less pay
-if you have bad training, are not likable, and/or set up shop in a saturated area, you may very well crash & burn... ideally do none of those 3
-realize that DPM is a very good job and good income all things considered for 95% of those who apply themselves
-develop an optimistic and gratitude mentality, hobbies, logical budget, positive mental outlook or risk dissatisfaction (for any profession)

Scope/parity stuff is a fool's errand... podiatry is different and always has been. Let them do what they're good at and do what we are trained for at a high level. Most pod schools don't prep students for USMLE, and most pod students aren't strong enough to pass it (just look at Caribb MD school stats). If some pod students did pass, we'd just hear about how scores aren't on par with ortho, etc. It's a trap and not wise to engage... AOFAS is not stupid; they know this 100%. If podiatry schools changed enough in terms of admission standards, curriculum on general med and gen path, rotations, etc to pass USMLE steps, they'd have to trim lower extremity anat, podo path, podo rad, podo surg, pod clinics, etc. They'd then just become med schools... and podiatry would probably be a 4yr or 5yr residency in the MD match - just like ENT or OB or Derm or Optho etc procedure specialties.

I would let others play politics and ego games. Unless you have a burning desire to be in the thick of the politics (and therefore corruption$), just focus on what can be a pretty awesome gig with many free weekends, good coin in your accounts, ability to help a lot of ppl with their pain or issues. I can say that the dozens of MDs at my hospital could NOT care less if I would or would not have passed USMLE a dozen years ago; they didn't take NBPME or whatever it's called now either. They simply want someone competent and likable to send their F&A stuff to, BS with in the cafe or hallways, get a progress note or "thank you" or XR printout from once in awhile. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

As the name suggests, what can us Pod students do to better steer the ship of Podiatry in the right direction? Asking current students as well as anyone out in practice!

After looking through several threads regarding scope, infighting, getting jobs, residencies, hospital credentialing, board certification etc and it all comes back to a few basic issues within our community: selfishness and a lack of a united front. With other allied health and mid-levels gaining scope, we need to keep our share of the "doctor" market.

I may be a fresh student, still idealizing the field and what I've gotten myself into, but I chose Podiatry because it checked all the boxes between surgical capabilities (note I used 'capabilities' not surgical reality), specialized medicine, and a relatively wide ability to "choose your own adventure" (read: PP vs MSG vs Hospital; academic research, etc). I enjoy my classes and look forward to actually learning medicine/surgery etc so this isn't a "i goofed by choosing pod" type thing either.

The field, as I've come to understand, has undergone a lot of change from scope to education especially in the last decade, the whole bit. No history lesson but as a specialty and physicians, we're capable even more growth. Yes, I am aware of that ACFAS Joint Task Force about the USMLE and the AFOAS position statement regarding podiatry. I know that these are great first steps to *real* MD/DO parity (even though APMA said we have parity, so ya know its the truth) but they highlight the issues within the community: they acted on their own by assembling the task force, not consulting schools and other stakeholders. To me, the position statement of AFOAS seemed indifferent, leaning towards inclusivity. They are willing to back us and work with us but we have to present a united front to the USMLE and ABMS and make the hard choices as to what needs to happen. Simply asking to take the USMLE did more harm than good.

Between the boards being money hungry and competitive with one another (looking at you ABPM (glaring at the COQ stupidity)) and old pods being violently indifferent if not outwardly selfish, us young folk entering the field face an uphill battle with Podiatry.

Be the best damn podiatrist you can be, and make others around you better while you’re at it

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

yes

I remember being this young...what a bright little fire.

Be the best trained you can be.
Prove your competency to other departments with your work ethic, results, and personality.
Don't be a d***.

Those who see what you are capable of and what you can provide will value you.

Things in school are completely different compared to residency the work world.

Don't let the "I'm a mEdiCaL sTuDeNt nOw" get to your head. You'll only make your own school/class look bad trying to get into a p**sing contest with other PT/PA/MSN/MD/DO/DDS students.

Be teachable. Be approachable. Work hard and help those around you who deserve it. Those 3 things alone will change how people look at podiatry students and the profession.

Reactions: 2 users

The ACFAS joint task force and the push for USMLE is dead.

USMLE Response to Request for DPM Eligibility​

October 19, 2021​

Podiatric education and training, while comprehensive for the advancement of quality podiatric care, may be too narrow given the USMLE’s focus on the generalized practice of medicine across all medical and surgical specialties.
Opening USMLE to DPMs is not permitted under the contractual agreement between FSMB and NBME establishing USMLE, which limits eligibility to students and graduates of medical school.
We must respectfully decline your request.

Do schools tell current students that this is still a possibility? I hope not.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm over it. I just hope I can pass, do decent work, help my patient feel a little better, not starving poor and not be as bad as some of my classmates who are 007 licensed to kill. I'm no super star student, but most don't belong doing this or treating people in general.

Get good, ethical, well rounded training. Not a program where you observe ortho or triple scrub a bunion.
Do not post on IG with a stethoscope around your neck and show off
Do not let ABFAS ACFAS ABPM brainwash you, reason everything yourself
Do not be a hero
If you do #1, don’t bother wasting another year or two with a fellowship.
You can do well in this profession. And for the record - podiatry is NOT medicines best kept secret. Tired of hearing that phrase over and over.

Reactions: 4 users
Get good, ethical, well rounded training. Not a program where you observe ortho or triple scrub a bunion.
Do not post on IG with a stethoscope around your neck and show off
Do not let ABFAS ACFAS ABPM brainwash you, reason everything yourself
Do not be a hero
If you do #1, don’t bother wasting another year or two with a fellowship.
You can do well in this profession. And for the record - podiatry is NOT medicines best kept secret. Tired of hearing that phrase over and over.
medicine's best kept secret is getting an MD and then doing something that is cash pay only.

medicine's best kept secret is getting an MD and then doing something that is cash pay only.

It’s medicine’s best kept secret for the “well seasoned” podiatrists making a killing from taking advantage of new associates. Good luck finding a job where you will be paid like a doctor (MSG/hospital/ortho practice).

Reactions: 3 users