Stay and pay for PA vs debt free MD + family relocation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBlend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have probably read every "pa vs md post" both here on SDN as well as on PA forums. It is a very difficult decision and am hoping for some experienced advice about my particular situation.

I am already 26 years old, married,and have a 4 year old daughter. I am now just a junior in a BS Public Health program and am completing all pre-reqs for MD and/or PA programs. I know that a career in medicine is my passion. I have worked in a hospital for about 5 years now as a telemetry/ekg/treadmill tech, my wife is a nurse.

My dillema is that if I get accepted to a Med school in Michigan I would not have to pay tuition. this is because I qualify for the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver. The major downside would be having to relocate my wife and daughter to Michigan with it's economic troubles, crime etc... for the 4 years of med school vs staying put and going to PA school here.
My wife is terrified at leaving where she has lived her entire life and all of her and my friends and family. I know many many people have endured much harder times to get through med school than relocating with just one child, but I wanted to hear what you folks had to say.

Is a nearly debt free MD worth increasing the stress on my marriage? And How can I possibly be sure that I wouldn't be just as happy as a PA even with the debt, but being able to keep my daughetr near all of her grandparents and in the same school district? I understand the major differences between PA and MD's roles and responsibilities, but I also read very mixed messages about the number of hours worked by each and the real benefit of the PA profession for people that value their family as much as their career. Thanks to all who read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Considering how many people relocate to go to med school, it's hard to consider a temporary move from IN to MI as much of a hardship. You could even drive home for weekends and holidays without too much difficulty. I lived in IN growing up, and we visited my grandparents in MI all the time.

Becoming a doctor isn't like falling off a log. If you're not willing to make some sacrifices along the way, you simply don't want it badly enough. That's not even accounting for the fact that you'd be passing up an opportunity to attend medical school for free.

Of course, it's better that you recognize this now than halfway through school.

UM Med is in Ann Arbor, MI, which is a relatively preserved area of Michigan. The university and related healthcare companies employs most of Ann Arbor, so I think the economy is a bit better than you'd find in other parts of MI.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP:

Why not visit there, and take your family with you?

You can see for yourself, and your wife can see for herself, and together you both can make a more informed decision.

Go MD. And 26 isn't old.

Your still young, weigh your options and talk about everything.

I'm 29 and have about 2 more years before I can even start looking at applying to a school. I am also married with 2 kids and we are considering everything possible that could make it work, even if I have to visit home on down times.

The only real thinker for us is the location of the schools. I plan on applying to schools that are within a certain radius of my home, but that bridge will be looked at more closely when that time comes.

Ann Arbor does seem pretty isolated and obviously U Mich Med would be my first choice. Other option is Michigan State's CHM program in Lansing.

Even if I had to pay the entire cost of Med school I still don't know how to decide.

My kid is 4 now, roughly 5 years to finish PA and she is only 9ish and I have a manageable debt AND the whole time I was in school we had our family nearby for support.

MD track on the other hand, in about 6 years and I have just finished med school still have residency ahead of me. By the time I am picking my own hours and able to take time off when I want, my kid is a teenager. BUT I have a fraction the debt and an MD after my name.

It seems like for every post I see about the PA profession being more family friendly and claiming to work less hours than an MD, I'll read another POST saying that the PA's have to work all the weekends, holidays and such that the MD doesn't want. So for the MD route am I simply trading family-absentness sooner rather than later as a PA? I have a few MD friends and they mostly say," go PA." Yet, I have a voice in my head saying go MD while at the same time looking for a reason to not go PA instead. Would I be doing a dis-service to myself, my family, or to all the people that if given my situation would jump in with both feet by not doing just that?