Stats on this year's match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for stats on this year's match. Curious how many PM&R applicants were competing this year and how many ended up with zilch. UMich who had 1 opening during the scramble said they had received over 200 inquiries into the position. That seems astronomical! Who are all of these people? People who did not participate in the match at all? IMGs? People who got dumped from other specialties?

Is it normal to have this much competition? I'd be curious what the "fill" rate for PM&R was this year.

Congrats to all who had a successful match!!!

I gave it my all! Heart and soul! Got to get-up, wipe off the dirt, stand tall and proud and give it another shot! :D If anyone has any advice, words of comfort, words of wisdom--it's much needed!

Members don't see this ad.

TreeOfLife said:
I am looking for stats on this year's match. Curious how many PM&R applicants were competing this year and how many ended up with zilch.

I was one who ended up with "zilch." I am an american medical graduate with not so hot board scores, but everything else seemed average or at least somewhat competitive. Had some very good interviews and positive experiences on the interview trail and afterwards with post-interview communication with PDs. I have no idea what happened! U Mich and Mayo are acting mighty stingy with their spots, but oh well, I guess it was not meant to be this year. I am curious to the match stats also. I have absolutely no idea of what to do for next year...because I will be reapplying and my prelim is in a place with no rehab dept. Any advice = greatly appreciated.

DrGucciGal said:
I was one who ended up with "zilch." I am an american medical graduate with not so hot board scores, but everything else seemed average or at least somewhat competitive. Had some very good interviews and positive experiences on the interview trail and afterwards with post-interview communication with PDs. I have no idea what happened! U Mich and Mayo are acting mighty stingy with their spots, but oh well, I guess it was not meant to be this year. I am curious to the match stats also. I have absolutely no idea of what to do for next year...because I will be reapplying and my prelim is in a place with no rehab dept. Any advice = greatly appreciated.

The numbers for this year from what I've heard are grossly similar to the numbers for last year.

Wash U has a site with the number of un-matched candidates over the last few years.

http://medicine.wustl.edu/~residenc/outside/spec/PM_info.html

From 2001-2004 the number of unmatched US seniors has been 2, 3, 9, and 17 corresponding to a US senior match rate of 98, 97, 94 and 92% respectively. Wash U calls it an intermediate competitive specialty - others include anesthesiology, EM, peds, path, and psych.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrGucciGal said:

What about some of the other programs out there-I interviewed at NRH and although I ranked it 'lower' on my list I ranked it after talking extensively to current residents after my interview. Sinai I did not rank but it was a location issue. Jeff? Have you contacted all openings? I wish you luck.

btw-when I interviewed at LSU many of the apps were interns and I got the impression they must be interested in taking PGY-1's, note that they only took 3 spots for PGY-2 but have the capicity for more per year? Maybe Paz___ can comment on this?

macman said:
What about some of the other programs out there-I interviewed at NRH and although I ranked it 'lower' on my list I ranked it after talking extensively to current residents after my interview. Sinai I did not rank but it was a location issue. Jeff? Have you contacted all openings? I wish you luck.

btw-when I interviewed at LSU many of the apps were interns and I got the impression they must be interested in taking PGY-1's, note that they only took 3 spots for PGY-2 but have the capicity for more per year? Maybe Paz___ can comment on this?

The program only had three openings this year, and took everyone into the PGY-1 year, from what I understand. (To be explicit, that means we filled, and from what I understand, did not go more than a few spots down our rank list. I further understand they did not interview foreign grads or anyone who failed Step 1).

Ours is an unbalanced program at the moment, and so it is anticipated that there may be more positions open come next year, but whether they will be PGY-1 or 2 is info beyond my pay grade.