stats of current PM&R residents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shehak20000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a freshman with hopes of becoming a pediatric physiatrist.

As a general question about med school, i was hoping you guys could post your STATS, as in:

1. What undergrad you went too
2. GPA
3. MCAT score
4. Volunteer work/paid employment (clinical and non-clinical)
5. Anything else special that you did that you think helped or even hurt your application.
6. Where you interviewed at
7. What your final acceptances were, and where you are now....

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

shehak20000 said:
Hi all,

As a general question about med school, i was hoping you guys could post your STATS, as in:

2. GPA
3. MCAT score
5. Anything else special that you did that you think helped or even hurt your application.

thanks!

Are you sure you aren't that Temple interviewer?

I preface my responses by saying that I am entering the match and not a resident.

I would just worry about getting into the medical school of your choice first, and then worry about where you want to go. You may not want to enter medschool after college. You may develop an interest in hem-onc or ent or em. Do well in medical school and the world will be you oyster with regard to rehab programs. Colorado, U of M and UCDavis are strong in peds from what I remember, maybe Cinci, maybe Penn because of CHOP? The U of W PD is double certified PMR/peds.

Getting at 30+ for MCAT seems to help for getting into medschool. 10s-12s are average for most matriculants at most schools though there is some variation. For GPA a 3.7+ is helpful. Any school will do, it need not be Harvard. Know someone who entered UCLA med with community college straight As for premed sciences. Good grades never hurt anyone.

Many have done some volunteer work in "helping/touchy feely" areas prior to medschool.

I did a volunteer clinic during medical school which I ended up talking to a lot of interviewers about. They thought it was neato.

And since most people enter residency thru the match, you can only match to one place. It is all or nothing.

Hope that helps.

Jefferson has a combined peds/rehab program. In philly, I do not believe that temple or upenn does.

CasaElGato said:
Are you sure you aren't that Temple interviewer?

I preface my responses by saying that I am entering the match and not a resident.

I would just worry about getting into the medical school of your choice first, and then worry about where you want to go. You may not want to enter medschool after college. You may develop an interest in hem-onc or ent or em. Do well in medical school and the world will be you oyster with regard to rehab programs. Colorado, U of M and UCDavis are strong in peds from what I remember, maybe Cinci, maybe Penn because of CHOP? The U of W PD is double certified PMR/peds.

Getting at 30+ for MCAT seems to help for getting into medschool. 10s-12s are average for most matriculants at most schools though there is some variation. For GPA a 3.7+ is helpful. Any school will do, it need not be Harvard. Know someone who entered UCLA med with community college straight As for premed sciences. Good grades never hurt anyone.

Many have done some volunteer work in "helping/touchy feely" areas prior to medschool.

I did a volunteer clinic during medical school which I ended up talking to a lot of interviewers about. They thought it was neato.

And since most people enter residency thru the match, you can only match to one place. It is all or nothing.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also not a resident, but applying for residency.

It's good that you have a direction that you're inclined towards. However, do not limit yourself so early. You have plenty of time. There are third year medical students who are currently very unsure of what they want to go into. Use college to learn as much as you can about yourself and see what makes you happy. If you're set on pediatric physiatry, great, but do so after evaluating other things also so you are sure.

If you're looking for peds/PMR, there are several options:

1: You can do a combined residency (there are four programs I believe)

Pro--5 years, one place, already have matching, etc set
Cons (Possibly)--Will allow you to work with kids only as far as I know, someone else can correct me.

2: Peds fellowship on top of PMR residency

Pros--Can work with kids and adults
Cons--Extra year

Keep in mind though that you are 3-4 years from medical school, 7-8 years from residency, and at least 11-12 years from practicing on your own. It's a long track, take one step at a time. The stats you get now may be irrelevant when you apply. For example, ten years ago, dermatology was up for grabs. Now, it's one of the most competitive residencies out there. Trends change, especially over a decade.

shehak20000 said:
Hi all,

2. GPA
3. MCAT score

thanks!

Peds-PM&R residents now have to complete a one year fellowship after the 5 year combined program (all of the combined programs are developing one year fellowships.) So it takes six years if you do either the combined program or if you do a 1 year internship, 3 year PM&R residency, and a 2 year Peds-PM&R fellowship.

Going through the combined program allows you to be a pediatrician and a physiatrist (who can take care of adults and kids.)

If you don't do the combined program, and do the fellowship instead, you're a physiatrist who can take care of adults and kids.

There are only 4 combined programs in the country--I think they are Colorado, Jefferson, Cincinnati and I can't remember the last one. I only know of one fellowship.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

violet1024 said:
Peds-PM&R residents now have to complete a one year fellowship after the 5 year combined program (all of the combined programs are developing one year fellowships.) So it takes six years if you do either the combined program or if you do a 1 year internship, 3 year PM&R residency, and a 2 year Peds-PM&R fellowship.

Going through the combined program allows you to be a pediatrician and a physiatrist (who can take care of adults and kids.)

If you don't do the combined program, and do the fellowship instead, you're a physiatrist who can take care of adults and kids.

There are only 4 combined programs in the country--I think they are Colorado, Jefferson, Cincinnati and I can't remember the last one. I only know of one fellowship.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

One of my classmates is applying to peds PM&R and from what I recall, she said there were three programs with only one spot a piece. Someone may want to double-check all this.

shehak20000 said:
Hi all,

2. GPA
3. MCAT score

thanks!

I'll jump

1) University of Michigan
2) 3.4
3) 33
4) Worked as a pulmonary function tech at UMHospital, had an American Heart Association summer research project
5) MPH helped tremendously; went from 2 interviews to more interviews I could shake a stick at
6) Wayne State, NYMC, CRWU, VCU, GWU, EVMU, Wake Forest, MCO, etc.
7) NYMC, Wake Forest, Wayne State, withdrew my pending apps after getting into Wayne (in-state, and thus, cheap!)

Take this with a grain of salt, as it is obviously dated :laugh: