Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modanq

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have data on what the mean board score, median board score, % AOA, % With publications, and average number of schools applied per applicant/matched student are for integrated PRS programs. I know that ERAS/AAMC puts out data on thier match. I was wondering what plastics is like.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Data from 2005 PRS match:

Step 1 Mean: 272
Step 1 Median: 275
98% AOA
92% Junior AOA
95% First author publications
Mean number of applications 42

Hope this helps!

So that's obviously total BS.

What does it matter? Can you go back in time and change your Step 1 score? Can you magically make yourself get AOA if you haven't been getting the grades from the start? Will Rod Rohrich put you on one of his four papers that's in PRS each month?

Do the best with what you have. You might go far. You might fall on your face. At least you tried, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I guess. Its always nice to know how far below the average I am.

I agree with what you're saying. Obviously, straight PRS is hard as hell to match into, but I really don't like the idea of gen surg. as a back up.

What are your thoughts on that?

Obviously, straight PRS is hard as hell to match into, but I really don't like the idea of gen surg. as a back up. What are your thoughts on that?

Not to butt in on Max's postings, but I suggest you consider your reasons and motivations for being a plastic surgeon. As you may have read elsewhere in this forum (and perhaps the plastic surgery mentor forum), life as a plastic surgeon is not like on TV...at least not for the vast majority. Getting into a residency or a fellowship takes time, serious committment, and motivation to put up with a process that's not always fair. There are plenty of folks in plastics who are not in that rare segment of the population that's considered "intellectually brilliant" (myself included), but instead they worked their butts off to get where they wanted to be.

This includes people who, like me, worked like a fiend during five years of general surgery because their Step scores weren't high enough to get in out of medical school. Then there are those that did an additional fellowship year after surgery in hand or micro or burn to get a spot. Not to mention some of the IMGs that may have done a surgery residency in another country, came to the U.S and did ANOTHER surgery residency, and even then may have had to do an extra fellowship year or be a lab slave in order to get into plastics.

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I can't help but feel that most of us in plastic surgery wanted surgery as a career. I would have been happy with my life as a general surgeon had I not gotten a fellowship. In other words, it wasn't a choice between IM and surgery.

So again, it comes back to what's motivating you. If it's something surgical, there's ortho, ENT, uro, etc. If it really is plastics, then be prepared to do what it's going to take to get there.

--M

Excellent post, M. I think it cannot be stressed enough that plastic surgeons on Dr. 90210 is not how the vast majority of plastic surgeons are like. Even if you were to open a practice in LA/Miami, the amount of work you have to put in is absolutely incredible... not to mention the precariousness of maintaining a viable private practice in such high-profile locations.

2007 Data

% graduating from top 40 research school: 60%
% AOA: 36.5%
Mean Step I: 241
Median Step I: 243
25th percentile: 231
75th percentile: 251
Mean Step II: 244
Median Step II: 246
25th percentile: 235
75th percentile: 257
Mean number of abstracts/presentations/pubs: 6

I totally agree with you guys with regards to the motivating force behind a career choice. Thanks for the advice.

Do we need to mention media...? Maybe, some people might still think that. I thought there we're all med students, residents, fellows, etc on this listserve. Anyways, I have been peeling through the PRS journal for a while now and really like the cases, in reconstruction hand, cranio-facial, and the technology, etc. Those sound like fun cases. I was also able to shadow two plastic guys here at Nwestern. I feel like I am building the proper exposure to make a wise decision and your guy's input will help. Plastics is def. on the differential. I have a year and a half to figure things out.

A couple of my third year buddies told me to get some insight into feilds now becuase when third year comes its like a flash before you start planning aways.

Can some of the fellows, residents, talk about the pros and cons of choosing PRS over some of the other gen surg fellowships. Any other advice in getting PRS exposure. I have mainly seen Academic stuff. Should I see what an office practice is like?
Peds surg. sounds fun, although I haven't had any exposure.
People say that cardiothoracic is dying out, but I haven't had a chance to flesh out the junk rumor from the truth. Let me know if you have any thoughts.