States That Lack Direct Access, Discussion of the DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what the problem with it is exactly..........

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's where your company/their insurance pays for your medical care if you get hurt on the job. Maybe you should google it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^Let me rephrase.....I was aware it was time off and you have some compensation away from work. Wasn't aware it was all paid by company. In your volunteering experience, what were issues you saw? Are people trying to milk all the time they can get or something?

Last edited:
^Let me rephrase.....I was aware it was time off and you have some compensation away from work. Wasn't aware it was all paid by company. In your volunteering experience, what were issues you saw? Are people trying to milk all the time they can get or something?

Workers' Comp (WC) can be pretty complicated. You seem to have a grasp on it. When a worker is hurt on the job (work-related injury is defined differently from state to state), the company investigates the incident (usually by HR or EHS) and then fills out an OSHA 301 form or company equivalent if the incident meets federal/state criteria (worker time off, needle stick, death, limb loss, etc.). They must also fill out an OSHA 300 log to be published for employees annually. The worker is usually sent to the contracted occupational health clinic for an evaluation and medical treatment. The medical evaluator determines if the worker may return to work at full duty, restricted (light duty), or no work. At that point, the company's insurance pays the bills. Now, here's a kicker, if medical follow-up is required, the worker does not have to be comped for the time they miss at work for medical appointments after the first medical visit in many states.

The worker usually has the option of obtaining a third party opinion, although the company keeps a list of "available" alternative medical clinics the employee may use.

In my own experience at a high volume OP clinic, 1/4 of the WC patients I see are demonstrated malingerers. I've observed patients limp in the clinic, just to sprint race their cousin back to their car when therapy was finished. I'm not that good. And I'm sure as hell documenting my observations. I also had a patient be right up front with me: "Aye bro, my back was actually fine until I was lifting heavy boxes for BART, for my friend on the side, nawimsayin'. But that's between you an me though, I gotta get paid, bro." Mind. Blown. No one said Oakland people were bright, but wholly CI consult. It's like they come in with a box of yellow flags to throw in my face. The other 3/4 are legit (or more clever).

Edited for my ESL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
A little late to this discussion, but SC currently has direct access up to 30 days. If 30 days pass by, and the patient is not relieved of their symptoms, then a doctor's referral is required. Also, like the person above, Worker's Comp is very complicated. Some patients try to cheat the system, while others desperately need care and can't get it through worker's comp. WC's only authorize a certain number of visits and in many cases it is hard to treat the patient effectively when they only get 6 visits and these visits are expected to be used in a two weeks time. I work in a OP clinic and I would definitely say at least 1/3 of our intake comes from WC's.

Reactions: 1 user
A little late to this discussion, but SC currently has direct access up to 30 days. If 30 days pass by, and the patient is not relieved of their symptoms, then a doctor's referral is required. Also, like the person above, Worker's Comp is very complicated. Some patients try to cheat the system, while others desperately need care and can't get it through worker's comp. WC's only authorize a certain number of visits and in many cases it is hard to treat the patient effectively when they only get 6 visits and these visits are expected to be used in a two weeks time. I work in a OP clinic and I would definitely say at least 1/3 of our intake comes from WC's.

How is the MD, DC, etc. collaboration going in your clinic in terms of respect, patient outcomes, unnecessary barriers to care, etc.?

Can you expand on this? I thought it was mostly MD opposition. (odd because I only see collaboration helping the community and both professions without overstepping at all into MD territory).

Chiropractors were in strong opposition because they felt that PTs couldn't do what they do (grade V mobilization) and they couldn't perform medical screening well. Good thing for PTs that it passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk