State Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, which states offer the "easiest" acceptance into their medical schools? Please, I don't want anybody to lash out for me asking this question since I know it has the potential for controversy...I just want to know, by being a resident in which state will being accepted into their medical school be the "easiest"?
Dana

Members don't see this ad.

I hear that Texas and Ohio are good states because of the number of medical schools located in each state. I don't know if they are easier, but at least you get looked at by a number of schools instead of just one or two.

I know for a fact that the UT system is among the more competitive state systems in the country. Being a resident in TX isn't that great for med school, as is being a residnet in CA or NY.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turtleboard, I don't entirely agree with your statement. As a graduate student at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston I have some knowledge of the application procedure and applicant numbers. Roughly speaking, each of the 4 UT schools(Dallas, Galveston, San Antonio, Houston) interviews about 1000 applicants for 200 positions. Additionally, there are another 3 state schools (A&M, Tech, TCOM) and Baylor (which does take alot of TX students). This is alot of available seats in the state reserved almost exclusively for TX residents. Furthermore, the application pool is not as large as one may expect.

Sheer size of the system doesn't have as much to do with competition to get in, as does the number of applicants in the state. I always remember reading somewhere that TX has a great many premeds, and practically all of them apply to a UT or state-sponsored school.

Tim of New York City.

Turtleboard, even though I believe that competition in the TX system is not quite as tough as some other states, that was not the original point the I wanted to make. I understand that others may have different points of view. What I was trying to suggest (poorly suggested, I admit) is that it is better to be evaluated by 7 or 8 AdComs than just one. Perhaps one of them will see something that the others don't; or perhaps one of them is looking for a different kind of student than the others. I believe this gives residents of these states such as Ohio and Texas a bit of an advantage.

[This message has been edited by bri1856 (edited 01-28-2000).]

I would say that the University of Oklahoma med school is among the easiest to gain acceptance. I grew up and went to high school there before coming to college in Texas.

Texas is much more competitive because there are so many premeds here.

The one real disadvantage of Oklahoma is that there is only one MD program in the whole state. Since i'm still an oklahoma resident even though i've lived and worked in TX the last 3 years its my best shot for getting in. Baylor, even though its a private school, accepts an entering class averaging around 70% TX residents.

I believe OU has an acceptance rate somewhere around 50% for state residents, which is about the best that I'm aware of.
For those of you that dont believe me, check out the following website (www.admissions.ouhsc.edu). Go to Reports/Statistics and then select 1999-2000. First check under the applicant category for state residents for the Medicine-MD program (280 for Fall 1999) and then check under the admitted category (159 for Fall 1999). Do the math and its slightly better than 50% acceptance rate.

I'm not sure how you would gain state residency, but I know that for TX you have to be working and living in TX for a full year WITHOUT attending school full time in order to make the transition.

I'm saying this if you place absolutely no value in what school you want to go to, then you might want to check OU out. I'm not sure what the quality of the school is, but its probably somewhere in the lower 50% of med schools.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

U of DM, they let me in...They will regret it, too!

Reed:

What did you mean in your last post? U of DM and they will regret it too... Please shine a little light on your post.

Go Hawkeyes

I believe that U of Indiana guarantees you an interview if you are a state resident.

West Virginia has three medical schools. For a really small state that is alot. The MCAT averages at Marshall and WVSOM are pretty low, but don't get me wrong, they are both excellent schools. Marshall accepts about 95% in-state and WVSOM about 70%. WVU's averages are slightly higher, but also accept 95% in-state.

Hawkeye, it was just a joke. Are you going to attend DMU too?

Reed:

I was pretty sure that was the intent of your post. Actually I am only a sophomore at the University of Iowa, and just hoping that I can get into medical school somewhere. I am considering Osteopathy also. Good Luck in the future!!

Go Hawkeyes