Stat Rad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a question for the community I have never seen addressed. Radiology in my area is routinely taking 3+ hours to read CT scans, sometimes with urgent or critical findings. If we are sued for a bad outcome due to radiology delay, can we personally sue the radiology group for malpractice? If I'm sued due to their negligence, it definitely results in damages to me that they should be liable for.

Can’t you find obvious things on CT before the final reads?

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate your perspective, radbro - but you guys are still making absurd bank.

When you adjust for hours worked and intensity and pace, our pay is not too different from ER.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a question for the community I have never seen addressed. Radiology in my area is routinely taking 3+ hours to read CT scans, sometimes with urgent or critical findings. If we are sued for a bad outcome due to radiology delay, can we personally sue the radiology group for malpractice? If I'm sued due to their negligence, it definitely results in damages to me that they should be liable for.
If you want a whole department, admin, your CMG, and some of your partners to hate you; sure but what are you suing for? Its your medmal paying, not you. Emotional distress? punitive? good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
The lawyers will name the rads and hospital and Ed doc and the employers or staffing agencies of the er doc and rads doc.

If they don’t sue rads cause they forgot you surely could sue. Heck your med mal will likely do it for you /them.

Other than a ding in your record it’s the insurers money when you settle.

Of course. I can see a kidney stone or brain bleed, but subtle findings on abdominal CT often escape me.

I have to be corrected sometimes because I "overcall" transverse colitis on a CT abd/pelv, when really "its just the mesentery" and I need to look at more coronal series. Most of my elderly abdominal pain patients (remember, I'm in the United States Capital of Old People) report epigastric pain along with every other symptom that they've ever experienced.