Starting SGU in August vs. January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piotrkol1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how/if the academic calendars vary if you start at SGU in August compared to January? I see that five terms comprise the first two years of basic sciences. Does that mean that there is no summer break or where is the fifth term squeezed in? If I start in January 2020 does that mean I would start clinicals in January 2022? Furthermore, I'd be more inclined to do the KBT program and live in Newcastle during the first year. Do groups start there in January as well or only in August?

Members don't see this ad.

If you Start January 2020 then you will finish term 5 December 2021 and then take step 1 around March 2022 and start clinicals around may 2022. You will have about a 5-6 week summer break in 2021 between terms 4 and 5. Terms 3/4 are your long 6 month time on the island at once. Beware if you do the KBT program, US federal loans are not accepted for that KBT program, so you have to do private loans or cash. You can start KBT in january or august. There is literally no difference between August and January start dates, just start when you are MOST ready- emotionally, physically, mentally, financially, etc. Do not rush it. Same classes, same exams basically, so no difference, just a little smaller class size in January but you're broken up into smaller groups for everything so it doesn't really matter.

If you start January 2020 then you will finish term 5 December 2021 and then take step 1 around March 2022 and start clinicals around May 2022. You will have about a 5-6 week summer break in 2021 between terms 4 and 5. Terms 3/4 are your long 6 month time on the island at once.
Thank you for providing some clarity. I am assuming that there would also be a summer break between terms 1 & 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for providing some clarity. I am assuming that there would also be a summer break between terms 1 & 2?
Yes, if you start in January you will have about 3 months break between terms 1 and 2 (summer). If you start in August, you will have a 1 month break (winter) between terms 1 and 2.

So I've been doing a bit of research on this topic and I've come across that starting January may lead you to finish your clinicals 6+ months before you start residency program. Would this not make your loans kick in to repayment due to being out of school for 6+ months? I know the other schools have a May start time which would be the best of two worlds. It looks like SGU does not have that.
True, but that's really more of a moot point when deciding between January or August terms. Even if you end clinicals say, in December and start residency in June, most loan service providers give a 6 month period to start your first payment, which is basically when you'd start residency and can go on an income based repayment at that point. Nevertheless, good point, never thought that far ahead :) lol