starting own pain practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the advice everyone. I think I am getting the hang of billing now.

Any recommendations on where to get good spine models for educating patients in the office? I am debating on whether to get full spine models or sectioned spine models for my practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice everyone. I think I am getting the hang of billing now.

Any recommendations on where to get good spine models for educating patients in the office? I am debating on whether to get full spine models or sectioned spine models for my practice.

I like the 3B scientific models I got. Anatomical Models - Anatomy Models

Cheapest way though is talk to your vendors - SCS in particular can get you a thoracolumbar spine model for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did some searching online beforehand; the online reviews say that 3B Scientific has the best and most anatomically correct models. Glad to hear that others on here agree with that assessment.

I like the 3B scientific models I got. Anatomical Models - Anatomy Models

Cheapest way though is talk to your vendors - SCS in particular can get you a thoracolumbar spine model for free.

I had a hunch that SCS companies may actually give you the spine models for free. Thank you callmeanesthesia for confirming that. However, the spine models I've seen from SCS companies have either leads or pumps attached to them. Do they actually give you complimentary spine models without their hardware attached?

Regarding SCS vendors, I have worked with Medtronic and St. Jude Medical in the past (about 3 years ago). I also know Boston Scientific is involved with SCS. It has been a while since I've done a SCS trial, so I do not know which company is currently the best or has the latest technological advancements. What is the general consensus on here for which one is the best to contact?

I did some searching online beforehand; the online reviews say that 3B Scientific has the best and most anatomically correct models. Glad to hear that others on here agree with that assessment.

I had a hunch that SCS companies may actually give you the spine models for free. Thank you callmeanesthesia for confirming that. However, the spine models I've seen from SCS companies have either leads or pumps attached to them. Do they actually give you complimentary spine models without their hardware attached?

Regarding SCS vendors, I have worked with Medtronic and St. Jude Medical in the past (about 3 years ago). I also know Boston Scientific is involved with SCS. It has been a while since I've done a SCS trial, so I do not know which company is currently the best or has the latest technological advancements. What is the general consensus on here for which one is the best to contact?

Yeah, the stim models come with stims attached. If you were so inclined they would be easy to remove, but I don’t think it would interfere with using it to explain other things as long as you don’t mind the product placement. The BoSci model they just gave me is a few thoracic segments. The Nevro one is lower thoracic, lumbar, and sacral.

I’d probably go with the one pastafan recommended. I think the expense is well worth it. I got the separate cervical, thoracic, and lumbosacral set but in retrospect I like the idea of the full spine better because currently I don’t have a set for each room, so I have to leave the exam room if I want to grab a different model.

As to which stim company, that’s a huge can of worms that probably has a very long thread devoted to it already...

Reactions: 1 user
I am looking to supplement my income while I build up my own private practice. Obviously I cannot work another full-time job, as I plan to spend 2-3 days a week at my office seeing my own patients. I already have my own malpractice insurance and plan to renew my health insurance soon. Is it better to work part-time as an employee for another group or part-time as an independent contractor? What are the pros and cons of each?