Starting a paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stunna8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just completed a summer of research after my M1 year. I spent most of the summer doing an animal project and towards the end of my time there I started a basic science project. The lab will continue working on the project while I am in school (in different cities) and I will get first authorship if I write it up. This is my first project write-up and I wonder what kind of process you research veterans use when starting a paper. I want to complete as much as I can before school starts even though I will not get the data for about a month or so. Thanks for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

First I think of a working title. Then I work on the real meat of the paper, the results and discussion. Then I fill in the fluff, being the intro and methods. Last I add the references, and then its proof read over and over.

You'd want to look through here since most journals either are owned by Elsevier or have similar formats. Papers are the general 4-part format: Intro, Methods, Results, Discussion. Sometimes there's Conclusions. Intro and Methods you can write before you have results.

Intro is sort of your selling point - why should we care about your research? Start from some broad scope - X cancer affects 100,000 people per year (ref. from CDC).

Then take it down a notch and get more specific - 10,000 of these cases would be averted/reduced morbidity/etc if they were detected 6 months earlier (ref. from Nature).

Then narrow the focus more to highlight the problem you're studying - Cells involved in cancer X show a change in surface protein Y 8 months before becoming malignant (ref. Here).

Lastly, sell the reader on how the hypothesis of this paper solves/helps the problem you're studying - Our method Z may be able to detect change Y and lead to early detection of cancer X.

Then the Methods is an easy walkthrough of how you tested samples. Probably the easiest part to write.

since most journals either are owned by Elsevier or have similar formats

Sadly, you're right......I'm dealing with Elsevier now over an article. *pulls hair out*