"Start Anytime" Online Courses Validity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hugo17

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
With my work schedule I'm finding it difficult to take (and find) courses at my home in- person institution as I attempt a self-created post bacc. I've looked at UC Berkeley extension and several of their courses are "start anytime" instead of live, online lecture courses. Before I go through the trouble of emailing institutions, I thought of asking here if anyone has taken any of their pre-req courses in this self-paced format online and gotten them approved. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UC Berkeley extension has been accepted at all the schools I’ve applied! It’s an accredited university and your transcript doesn’t specify if it’s online (they have in-person course offerings too) so that shouldn’t hinder you!

I took biochem through u of c Berkley online and it was accepted as a pre-req for vet school. FYI, you must get greater than a 70 on the final exam even with 100% in the class or you will fail.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t have this experience at all ^ with the courses I took. I thoroughly researched each Professor before taking the classes Bc I was scared of this happening.

UC Berkeley extension has been accepted at all the schools I’ve applied! It’s an accredited university and your transcript doesn’t specify if it’s online (they have in-person course offerings too) so that shouldn’t hinder you!
I took genetics as a start anytime and biochemistry and organic chemistry one and two as scheduled courses with them because I was working full time. No issues with schools so far.

I think you would get the courses accepted, but beware!! I took Biochem through UCBE and although I had been applying myself and doing well on the assignments, I failed the final exam. I was able to explain the F in the course on my application and ultimately got accepted to my IS school, but I REALLY wish I had stayed away!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Ah, ok. Thanks for all the replies guys! The main ones I was looking at were "Medical Terminology" maybe "Hematology" through Berkeley.

How was Organic 2 for you @Veterantoveterinary with Berkeley? I screwed myself over during undergrad by not taking the second part of the sequence and am wondering if its realistic for me to just jump back into orgo content (its been about a year and a half) or if I truly should consider restarting the sequence. I think they also have a lab section on there too.

Ah, ok. Thanks for all the replies guys! The main ones I was looking at were "Medical Terminology" maybe "Hematology" through Berkeley.

How was Organic 2 for you @Veterantoveterinary with Berkeley? I screwed myself over during undergrad by not taking the second part of the sequence and am wondering if its realistic for me to just jump back into orgo content (its been about a year and a half) or if I truly should consider restarting the sequence. I think they also have a lab section on there too.
I did not take orgo through Berkeley but I personally struggled when I tried to take orgo 2 0.5 year after I took orgo 1. It may not be feasible with time and money but I would recommend taking it in close sequence to ensure you have info fresh in your mind as it usually builds on itself. It can of course depend on how confident you are in your ability to review your previous notes to get back up to speed. I’m not sure if Berkeley forces you to take a lab section with orgo courses but if not then you don’t really need to take that portion.