Stanford resident taking questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I found out what happened.

It wasn't criminal or as bad as I thought. But it showed questionable judgment from someone who is supposed to be a role model.

Lots of actions fall under the category of "not criminal". Maybe he was sexting his admin assistant or Twittering some 16 year old in Idaho, but whatever it was it must have been bad enough to get him canned. Hoping someone here can shed light on the situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Drama aside, did any current residents do a visiting rotation during their MS4 year? Do they tend to look at these students more seriously/favorably...?

Thought i'd ask while this thread is at the top of the forum and getting the love! :D

Any thoughts on whether Stanford's internal medicine program has changed since all this drama was talked about last year? Is the ICU experience still sub-par, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interested in hearing what current Stanford residents think about their program or what other applicants thought about the interview day. I really liked the interview day--i thought the program administration seemed very committed to the housestaff and the program's curriculum and support is outstanding. I also really liked UCLA so my decision is between those two programs.

Any thoughts from anyone about choosing between the two? I am interested in GI, like both locations equally, and am very conflicted about choosing between the two...

anyone else in the same boat?

I can't speak much about UCLA but can speak of Stanford as I am a current intern. I really have nothing but good things to say about my experience to this point: amazing fellow residents, really supportive leadership, and great training so far. All of my co-interns are really happy. People also seem to match very well out of here into fellowships across the board. I haven't done much primary care so far outside of my clinic so I can't comment much on that.

I interviewed last year at UCLA and also liked the program overall but I got a better vibe from my interview day at Stanford. I also like the Bay Area more than L.A. but some may disagree. Both have strong names, so even if Stanford's is a bit stronger, I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. You'll do really well coming out of either.

Good luck!

Found this thread, was wondering if anyone has any more up to date thoughts on the issues raised (ICU experience, admin, etcetera)

Reactions: 1 user
So I found out what happened.

It wasn't criminal or as bad as I thought. But it showed questionable judgment from someone who is supposed to be a role model.
So what happened?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk

Saw this thread and wanted to see if any current residents had an insight into how they feel like the program runs now, anything they like or would change and their overall experience, thank you in advance.

Saw this thread and wanted to see if any current residents had an insight into how they feel like the program runs now, anything they like or would change and their overall experience, thank you in advance.

In summary : Research powerhouse. You can get better clinical training and clinical exposure elsewhere. That has not changed and it is not likely to change in the future.

In summary : Research powerhouse. You can get better clinical training and clinical exposure elsewhere. That has not changed and it is not likely to change in the future.
Okay, troll. What complete ignorance -- it's this sort of 'advice' which can give this place a bad name. The focus of the institution has dramatically evolved over the last several years. They have had huge clinical growth, expanded a ton in the area and have replaced leadership with people who value clinical excellence first and foremost in the last few years. But if "AttendingMD" (love the name by the way -- great job!), he of joined today/5 posts fame, declares that nothing can ever change, why should we doubt what he says? Ugh, just ugh.

I'm super happy here, wouldn't have chosen to went to any other place- full disclosure my top rank was Stanford but had UCSF as a close second. Work life balance is amazing, and I think our clinical training is top top notch. We have attendings from all the big places So far the ones i've worked with are most either from Stanford/UCSF/MGH/BW, but my favorite are the Stanford trained ones (although there is a really good one from UCSF too). We rotate at the valley - so we get to compare our training to other programs and given that I'd say my fellow residents/exposure/training program are absolutely amazing - evidenced by the fact that we continue to have amazing fellowship matches - basically it seems everyone matches into what and where they want.

Edit: to expand on work-life balance. Expectations are high here - i think its a mix of a nurturing program that will push you as well as being surrounded by brilliant co-residents. But it is also in the culture that the program and your co-residents will look out for you without question - we make sure that each of us support each other everyday and help each other get out to have a life outside of work - even during intern year.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! :)

I'm super happy here, wouldn't have chosen to went to any other place- full disclosure my top rank was Stanford but had UCSF as a close second. Work life balance is amazing, and I think our clinical training is top top notch. We have attendings from all the big places So far the ones i've worked with are most either from Stanford/UCSF/MGH/BW, but my favorite are the Stanford trained ones (although there is a really good one from UCSF too). We rotate at the valley - so we get to compare our training to other programs and given that I'd say my fellow residents/exposure/training program are absolutely amazing - evidenced by the fact that we continue to have amazing fellowship matches - basically it seems everyone matches into what and where they want.

Edit: to expand on work-life balance. Expectations are high here - i think its a mix of a nurturing program that will push you as well as being surrounded by brilliant co-residents. But it is also in the culture that the program and your co-residents will look out for you without question - we make sure that each of us support each other everyday and help each other get out to have a life outside of work - even during intern year.

Okay, troll. What complete ignorance -- it's this sort of 'advice' which can give this place a bad name. The focus of the institution has dramatically evolved over the last several years. They have had huge clinical growth, expanded a ton in the area and have replaced leadership with people who value clinical excellence first and foremost in the last few years. But if "AttendingMD" (love the name by the way -- great job!), he of joined today/5 posts fame, declares that nothing can ever change, why should we doubt what he says? Ugh, just ugh.

“A fool is made more of a fool, when their mouth is more open than their mind.”
Anthony Liccione

Moving on.

“A fool is made more of a fool, when their mouth is more open than their mind.”
Anthony Liccione

Moving on.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
-Mark Twain

Right back at you, my friend. Moving on...

Hello. Long time lurker. I was looking at the Stanford fellowship lists, and there are unquestionably a number of top notch matches, which says a lot about the program. But I noticed that in the last few years there seem to have been no Stanford residents matching into Pulm/CC (? I may be misreading this, I will allow). Pulm/CC seems like a very popular subspecialty in recent years, and I am considering it, so I was wondering if anyone could comment on why Stanford residents do not seem to be heading that direction of late. Thanks so much for any insight!

Hello. Long time lurker. I was looking at the Stanford fellowship lists, and there are unquestionably a number of top notch matches, which says a lot about the program. But I noticed that in the last few years there seem to have been no Stanford residents matching into Pulm/CC (? I may be misreading this, I will allow). Pulm/CC seems like a very popular subspecialty in recent years, and I am considering it, so I was wondering if anyone could comment on why Stanford residents do not seem to be heading that direction of late. Thanks so much for any insight!

No reason in particular except that no one wanted to. Most people do cards or gi, with heme onc also being somewhat popular. Also hospitalist appears to be a popular career choice at Stanford. I for one tho am planning to do critical care.