~*Stanford 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat444

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This hasn't been created yet! I'm seriously considering going to Stanford's MSTP in the fall. I'd love to meet all of you who are also thinking of making the move to Palo Alto :)

I will also be looking for off-campus roommates, if I go, since I have a kitty.

Members don't see this ad.

This hasn't been created yet! I'm seriously considering going to Stanford's MSTP in the fall. I'd love to meet all of you who are also thinking of making the move to Palo Alto :)

I can't believe one hasn't been created either! Surely they've been sending out acceptances for quite a while. Maybe it has something to do with the class size being so small?

I can't believe one hasn't been created either! Surely they've been sending out acceptances for quite a while. Maybe it has something to do with the class size being so small?

That could definitely have something to do with it.

I'm personally not sure enough whether I will be considering attending to have started the thread myself. I've spent the last 5 years in Palo Alto and kinda want to experience someplace different.

Members don't see this ad :)
That could definitely have something to do with it.

I'm personally not sure enough whether I will be considering attending to have started the thread myself. I've spent the last 5 years in Palo Alto and kinda want to experience someplace different.

Since you have lived in Palo Alto for so long, would you mind commenting on the feasibility of commuting between San Francisco and Stanford? This would most likely be by car as I think the cost of Caltrain would be a bit much after a while. Thanks.

Since you have lived in Palo Alto for so long, would you mind commenting on the feasibility of commuting between San Francisco and Stanford? This would most likely be by car as I think the cost of Caltrain would be a bit much after a while. Thanks.

I'm probably not the best person to answer that question since I only had a car for one year. And drove to SF probably a max of 4 times. But I rode the Caltrain to SF several times because it seemed relatively affordable.

First question: How do you plan on affording to live in SF ... and why? It costs about as much to live in either place in a single, but there are a lot of apartments and houses near Palo Alto that can be shared between several roommates. Unless you are married to/living with a significant other who works in SF, I don't think it would make much sense.

If it is absolutely necessary for you to live in SF; I think, with the cost of gasoline soon to be around $4/gallon (not to mention time lost in transit) it may actually be cheaper to commute by train because you can get a monthly pass on the Caltrain (which I figure is about the same cost as driving a 36 mpg car; but that figure doesn't take into account any further travel on the BART or Muni Buses) plus the time spent riding the train could be used to study, etc. Then you'll also have to pay maintenance and insurance for the car, plus you may also have to pay for parking in SF; all of which drive the automobile cost figure even higher.

I personally consider having a personal vehicle in the SF area to be more of a liability than an asset. But having one in the Stanford area, where public transport is limited, can be a positive.

If anyone else has a different/more experience informed perspective, please chime in.

I haven't received a decision from Stanford yet, but I hope to legitimately post in here soon!

At any rate, I've been at Stanford for almost 4 years and have done a lot of commuting in the area. Visit www.caltrain.org and www.bart.gov for information about taking a train. Caltrain has a stop right by the Stanford campus (maybe 10 minute walk from the med school); Caltrain connects to BART in case you need to get somewhere that Caltrain doesn't take you. If you're taking the Caltrain only, it takes about 50 minutes to get to San Francisco. I think a lot of people buy monthly passes or something similar. This might be an effective solution, but I did not look at the price (sounds like you may have already).

As for driving, it depends on the time, but it generally takes about 45 minutes to get from San Francisco to Stanford. Around 6pm on a Friday night it's taken me more like an hour and 15 minutes. Probably not pleasant to do on a regular basis, but possible, I suppose. Parking on the Stanford campus is decently easy to find http://parking.stanford.edu but I believe that it will be more difficult and more expensive in San Francisco.

First question: How do you plan on affording to live in SF ... and why? It costs about as much to live in either place in a single, but there are a lot of apartments and houses near Palo Alto that can be shared between several roommates. Unless you are married to/living with a significant other who works in SF, I don't think it would make much sense.

I would be living with my SO in SF as that's where he would go to school.

If it is absolutely necessary for you to live in SF; I think, with the cost of gasoline soon to be around $4/gallon (not to mention time lost in transit) it may actually be cheaper to commute by train because you can get a monthly pass on the Caltrain (which I figure is about the same cost as driving a 36 mpg car; but that figure doesn't take into account any further travel on the BART or Muni Buses) plus the time spent riding the train could be used to study, etc. Then you'll also have to pay maintenance and insurance for the car, plus you may also have to pay for parking in SF; all of which drive the automobile cost figure even higher.

Yeah, I thought about that, but in order to get where I'm going I would need to take Caltrain, BART, and then the Muni Metro. Traveling back and forth would end up costing me around $18/day and it would take about 4 hours. I don't really like the idea of commuting, but if I can't then I might have to write Stanford off as a good option.

I'll look into the option of using monthly passes more but I know Caltrain would at least be $106 a month. My car is paid off and requires minimal maintenance. My parents have agreed to continue to help me with insurance, and I think we can get a place with a parking lot included in the rent, which isn't pretty but it's not especially horrible. (This would probably still be true even if I did go to UCSF as I'm used to having a vehicle and don't like the idea of hauling groceries up SF's hills or buses.)

Thanks for the advice though. I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with the area.:)

I haven't received a decision from Stanford yet, but I hope to legitimately post in here soon!

At any rate, I've been at Stanford for almost 4 years and have done a lot of commuting in the area. Visit www.caltrain.org and www.bart.gov for information about taking a train. Caltrain has a stop right by the Stanford campus (maybe 10 minute walk from the med school); Caltrain connects to BART in case you need to get somewhere that Caltrain doesn't take you. If you're taking the Caltrain only, it takes about 50 minutes to get to San Francisco. I think a lot of people buy monthly passes or something similar. This might be an effective solution, but I did not look at the price (sounds like you may have already).

As for driving, it depends on the time, but it generally takes about 45 minutes to get from San Francisco to Stanford. Around 6pm on a Friday night it's taken me more like an hour and 15 minutes. Probably not pleasant to do on a regular basis, but possible, I suppose. Parking on the Stanford campus is decently easy to find http://parking.stanford.edu but I believe that it will be more difficult and more expensive in San Francisco.

Thanks for the info! I thought that was about how much time it took to get from the SFO airport to Stanford but I couldn't quite remember. Good luck getting accepted!

I've been looking on Craigslist and Community Housing and the cost of life is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!! I also don't drive--any advice on getting around Stanford sans automobile? Any advice about getting an apartment without living in Stanford? Should I start looking in April? Is there anywhere I can post for advertisements for roomies?
whoa.

I also wanted to know if any of you guys are interested in doing any climbing? I can't imagine going to school in Palo Alto and not taking advantage of the rocks out there. Is anyone going to second look weekend who would want to partner up?

I've been looking on Craigslist and Community Housing and the cost of life is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!! I also don't drive--any advice on getting around Stanford sans automobile? Any advice about getting an apartment without living in Stanford? Should I start looking in April? Is there anywhere I can post for advertisements for roomies?
whoa.
Lots of people bike around. Also, there is a free shuttle called the Marguerite that goes around campus, to the Stanford Shopping Center (a mall), and to the San Antonio Shopping Center (has supermarket, Wal-Mart, Target, restaurants, etc.). The Caltrain (mentioned above) can also take you into San Francisco and other nearby areas.

hey mnemosphere, i lived in sf for two years (nob hill) but moved back home (really close to stanford) less than a month ago to try to save some rent monayss before med school--i still work in the city though . it will really depend on where exactly in the city youre commuting from/to, but as someone who had a pretty rough commute both living within the city and now outside of it and who has worked ALL the options (muni, caltrain, driving, BART) i'd love to give u some feedback as i feel like i have a pretty good grasp on the muni lines/travel times as well as the parking/traffic situations within and to and from the city. i interviewed at stanford but wont be considering it...(but somehow ended up stalking u guys anyhows haha) anyways holler back if u need any added insight and congrats and gluck!! =D