staff trainings, resources following elopement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Long story short, trying to make the point to a school board that the response of immediate, same-day termination is the wrong response to an otherwise exemplary 1:1 paraprofessional; instead, district can view the staff's experience as an asset towards improving / preventing in the future. Would appreciate relevant research to support this point, existing trainings / resources that can be part of future staff / school training, etc.

Longer version: Incident involves the rare, fortunate para who doesn't mind the fact the position is under-paid as they do this for the joy of it without the accompanying financial worries and etc that lead to high turnover. She's been with the same kid for multiple years, and has an exemplary record and relationship with this slow-to-warm-up kid but got momentarily distracted by an altercation on the playground and the child in their care eloped to the parking lot (and into a car in the pickup line). Was quickly noticed by a high-up administrator and returned to playground before para even realized kid was gone; para was immediately fired on the spot.

There were several failings on the part of the school that have since been fixed (e.g., hole in the fence). Family of child is of course horrified at what could have happened- and yet being logical people who have experienced split-second elopements themselves, realize the likelihood of this ever happening again with this para are now even lower than before -and that more than anyone else in the school the para should have good insight onto how to help prevent this in the future.

The parents (and child) are utterly besides themselves that this para, the best they've ever had and who is a true SPED-style teacher at heart, is suddenly gone (and with no good replacement) and are trying to propose instead a second look and for the district to engage the staff member in actions to actually grow from the incident and improve prevention planning in the future (kid didn't even have elopement in the IEP although it's a freely known risk, and school does not have a formal plan in general for elopement that is discussed / included in staff training annually).

These are good friends of mine, not clients, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it because it COULD be ANY of the IDD/ASD kids I work with, and I know how devastating it would be to them to lose a para who truly is a teacher with the perfect type of scaffolding, patience, and understanding of their kids' really quirky learning style- especially if during the course of the time they've been together the child has progressed so much rapidly than previous time periods and sees their child finally so happy at school. I listen to enough sciencey podcasts to know there's research re: hospital errors and the importance of swallowing your own pride and conducting an analysis and developing training with the involvement of those who were part of the failure chain, rather than knee-jerk reactions, and the long-term benefit in how that produces measurable improvements in outcome but any resources, research, or trainings anyone could point me to as I help the family with a proposal would be much appreciated (also thinking this could turn into a training offered to schools in our area....)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems unusual that para would be "fired on the spot" with no due process. First and foremost, this would need to be addressed from an employment law perspective (even more so if the para is in a union and subject to a CBA). I imagine that a letter of support from the parents might be beneficial. It does get tricky, though, if you imagine a worse case scenario whereby the parents write a letter of support for a staff who, ultimately, DID fail to keep the child safe (despite other contributing factors), and this happens again. Also, you (nor the parents) may not be aware of other employment related issues with this para.

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately, these things happen. Was this person 1:1 with the kid? If not, then it is more of an institutional failing than an individual one. I would be more concerned about dealing with an employment lawyer and making sure the district is willing to provide appropriate references as I am not sure I would want to work somewhere this was done to me anyway.

If you need literature on elopement, I am not sure how prevalent it is in the Special Ed/ASD community, However, there is plenty related to managing dementia patients. Even then, I have seen a few escape from locked facilities. That said, I doubt anything the literature will have to say is going to influence an administrator in CYA mode.

Members don't see this ad :)
The parents, if they had sufficient means, could consult an advocate to make the case that this para is essential for the child's ability to access the curriculum and that abrupt change, after years of familiarity, constitutes an infringement of FAPE for the child.

Also, if this learner was a elopement risk, then their really should be policies to limit para fatigue and allow for brakes.

The school is just covering their behinds, but I would run it up the administrative flag pole and take it to the district or state level.

The parents, if they had sufficient means, could consult an advocate to make the case that this para is essential for the child's ability to access the curriculum and that abrupt change, after years of familiarity, constitutes an infringement of FAPE for the child.

Also, if this learner was a elopement risk, then their really should be policies to limit para fatigue and allow for brakes.

The school is just covering their behinds, but I would run it up the administrative flag pole and take it to the district or state level.
From an advocacy standpoint, I think they could make the case that "a" para is part of a free and appropriate education, but not "the" para. An IEP is a contract for types of services, rather than specific service providers. It'll be tough to get past the fact that the child eloped, got into a vehicle, and was returned before the para even noticed the child had taken off.

Thanks everyone. This is all helpful info. Definitely aware there could be other factors which the parents are not privy to AND that the tug of CYA is intense. (Also relevant - this is definitely NOT a state with a union).

Regardless it does seem like an opportunity to maybe have an impact on the school / district to take a look at their policies and procedures to help prevent future incidents for this and other kids. Really appreciate the range of thoughts here- thanks y'all!