St Louis University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genome25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got an interview at St Louis and was wondering about the whole process. can i get some feedback to their interview. do they have student hosts? please post if you have recommendations about the air travel, overnight stay and even the actual interview! i need advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, there are first year hosts- just send an email to the school (or call) that you will need a host- there should even be something on your interview reply form (maybe?). um..american airlines flies into stl. lambert international for pretty good prices usually... um... what else... interviews are usually pretty laid back... when you are on your tour, ask about the future of the school i'd say- that's important for any school you interview at- if you are intersted in research, slu is building a new building next year to boost it's nih funding for research projects. be sure to ask your interviewer questions about the school... yeah... oh, we have a free student run clinic that you might mention (if that is something that interests you)... will show you have researched the school...

good luck

thanks a bunch! that really helped:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else have any advice for the interview at st louis? how was the tour, the interview and people there? is the airport close to the school? how was the student host program? thanks

i'm interviewing there 12/1.

I went to undergrad at WashU.

The airport is accesible by train. My SLU interview papers said there is a shuttle that runs from train station to slu.

SDN has an interview feedback section...

sonya

good luck on your interview...i have mine on the 16th. :)

hey moops,
i have my interview on the 16th next month. i am flying from ca so i wanted to buy my ticket. i was wondering if i can make my flight anytime and the host will pick me up? its my first interview so i am nervous and unsure how everything works. how close is the airport? its stl international airport right?
thanks...if anyone else has answers, please post

yeah, you want st. louis lambert international- there is only one international airport, Lambert

don't worry about getting the ticket right away- wait until next monday so you can confirm that someone will be there to pick you up- better to be safe and wait and MAYBE pay a few extra bucks (though unlikely) than to rush and be all worried and upset...

so yeah, usually just make your flight after 3ish or 4ish and class will be over for everyone and someone will be able to come to get you- call the admit. office though on monday (or today actually...just call them today, they should be there) and ask them what time to make your flight- then go ahead and make it- the student will just take you back to their place most likely and you'll be fine- they'll take you to school the next morning early enough for your interview and help you figure out how to get back to catcn your flight

no worries :)

You were asking for more interview info. The SLU interview was very relaxed, so don't stress out too much, even though it's your first one. I also flew from Cal and American is the way to go, however the airport is not near SLU campus. Thus I had to take a cab from the airport to my first-year student host's place. That was $$. But she drove me back the next day, so I wouldn't say expect a ride, but they most likely will offer you one.
Good luck, the dean is really nice and you may have an interview with him, so strike up a conversation.

PS. He loves skiing...

Southwest also flies to STL and they have a nice new un-cramped un-crowded terminal (with a CPK in case you want some food before the flight!) that is also at Lambert International.

You can get from the airport to SLU really easily on MetroLink. I don't remember what the stop is, but I rode the train from the med school to the airport when I caught my flight out. I stayed with a student host and it was a good experience. I was visiting a friend at WashU undergrad so she was able to drive me to my host's house so I didn't have to deal with airport pick-up.

If I remember correctly, the SLU interview invite has a time that says when your interview is. Their interview system is a little weird as basically you are in a room with all of the other candidates all day long that is punctuated by a tour, financial aid presentation, lunch, etc. I luckily had an early interview, so I just left when I was done, and took the shuttle to the Grand Blvd. (?)MetroLink station and flew home.

Aside from a lunch with traditional St. Louis food (toasted ravioli) the interview experience was pretty blah. The tour was nice, and since my interview was last year I didn't get much info about the new building. The students really liked it there and I heard on more than one occasiona that apparently SLU has a strong geriatrics program...so if you are leaning in that direction you might want to check it out more.

hey dc, where you at right now?

yeah- the building was a big selling point between the school and 3 others, one of which was cool as well, but i didn't like the atmosphere as much- and now that i'm here i know the ranking factor not only is insignificant, but the school is going to have a great boost in the next couple years for those who care

Hey Moops,
When are they saying the building will be complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
most likely 2-3 years after they start construction- depending on flow of funds.

Thanks, Moops. I hope I'll get a chance to see it complete.

SLU can eat my balls. What a total waste of money and time. When I interviewed 3 years ago, it consisted of 1 campus tour, lunch and 1 interview. Nothing truly special about the place... it's just another garden variety medical school just like every other one. Not bad, not perfect. Everything went well, and the administrators are GREAT... until I interviewed. Stupid hoebag British doctor (Ob/Gyn?) was having a bad day all huffing and puffing to get to the interview (LATE!) and within the first 5 minutes of my interview was literally yelling at me for 1) not understanding what it's like to be a doctor because I never shadowed anyone (despite having a crap load of inpatient volunteer hours) and 2) printing my essay with 12 point font (standard) single spaced because she couldn't speed read it DURING the interview. On the 6th minute of a 30-45 min interview, she said, "I don't think you're ready to be a doctor." And she went On and ON about the holiness of the patient-doctor relationship and how I simply don't understand what that means... (HELLO? Patient-Doctor... not Patient-Doctor-and-Premed slash Applicant Relationship). This conclusion all without her reading my essay, looking at my stats, nor looking at my application... it was all from the 1 and 2 per above. She EVEN told me that she didn't read my application despite being told to do so. PISS ME OFF.

Flew in from NYC on a $300 ticket, rented a car to drive through the GHETTO to get to SLU ($80), stayed at a hotel for $40, and spent $20 drink piss water local Budweiser just to drown out the sorrow.

I had to put an end to this nonsense and ended up yelling back at her saying that different people come to the same answer by taking different routes and that while I don't know what it's like to be a doctor because I'm not one, I know that it's what I want to be and I can hack it. Freaking pissed me off. We went back and forth and back and forth. I just had to defend myself, and I went on and on about how qualified I was to be a doctor blah blah. At the end of the interview, she said, "well I gues I'm more comfortable now about you becoming a doctor"... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is it because TIME IS UP? Stupid prostitute, PLEASE DON'T INVITE ME TO INTERVIEW IF I'M NOT QUALIFIED. I could have gone snowboarding on that money, rather than spend a lovely 30 min with YOUR A$$ in lovely St Louis. Especially if the reason is because I didn't shadow a doctor!!! READ MY RESUME, DO YOUR JOB. Give me a break. Some of us actually have to WORK to put themselves through college, which I will gladly do before some trust fund baby shadows a doctor and all of a sudden was blessed by the hand of God to become the next Debakey. And don't take it out on me if you're having a freaking bad day. Was not granted 2nd interview either because it was late in the day... bureaucratic, 5 o clock, gotta go. Anyways, I picked up the dog crap on the sidewalk with my wait-list letter, and dropped trou then shat on it myself before lighting it on fire. Ugh, what a traumatic experience. I'm still in THERAPY. I WAS PISSED. P-I-S-S-E-D I tell you.

Anyhow, I'm at my state school now, first choice, doing well, saving money, having a great time, basically kicking butt, taking names. I hope y'all have a better experience there. Y'all are welcome to email me with whatever traumatic stories to share, and if we ever meet up I will buy you a drink/drinks. I'm sure it's a great school and the students are AWESOME, but if that's how it's going to be like, IT AIN'T WORTH IT to be paying private tuition to be abused. Life is too short and I am not that desperate. I forgot what that hoe bag's name was FORTUNATELY, but if anyone of y'all interview with her, just tell her I said, IN YOUR FACE!

Originally posted by moops
are you a student right now? where you from?

No, I'm not there yet. I've been accepted for 2004 though. :)

Originally posted by lowbudget
SLU can eat my balls. What a total waste of money and time. When I interviewed 3 years ago, it consisted of 1 campus tour, lunch and 1 interview. Nothing truly special about the place... it's just another garden variety medical school just like every other one. Not bad, not perfect. Everything went well, and the administrators are GREAT... until I interviewed. Stupid hoebag British doctor (Ob/Gyn?) was having a bad day all huffing and puffing to get to the interview (LATE!) and within the first 5 minutes of my interview was literally yelling at me for 1) not understanding what it's like to be a doctor because I never shadowed anyone (despite having a crap load of inpatient volunteer hours) and 2) printing my essay with 12 point font (standard) single spaced because she couldn't speed read it DURING the interview. On the 6th minute of a 30-45 min interview, she said, "I don't think you're ready to be a doctor." And she went On and ON about the holiness of the patient-doctor relationship and how I simply don't understand what that means... (HELLO? Patient-Doctor... not Patient-Doctor-and-Premed slash Applicant Relationship). This conclusion all without her reading my essay, looking at my stats, nor looking at my application... it was all from the 1 and 2 per above. She EVEN told me that she didn't read my application despite being told to do so. PISS ME OFF.

Flew in from NYC on a $300 ticket, rented a car to drive through the GHETTO to get to SLU ($80), stayed at a hotel for $40, and spent $20 drink piss water local Budweiser just to drown out the sorrow.

I had to put an end to this nonsense and ended up yelling back at her saying that different people come to the same answer by taking different routes and that while I don't know what it's like to be a doctor because I'm not one, I know that it's what I want to be and I can hack it. Freaking pissed me off. We went back and forth and back and forth. I just had to defend myself, and I went on and on about how qualified I was to be a doctor blah blah. At the end of the interview, she said, "well I gues I'm more comfortable now about you becoming a doctor"... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Is it because TIME IS UP? Stupid prostitute, PLEASE DON'T INVITE ME TO INTERVIEW IF I'M NOT QUALIFIED. I could have gone snowboarding on that money, rather than spend a lovely 30 min with YOUR A$$ in lovely St Louis. Especially if the reason is because I didn't shadow a doctor!!! READ MY RESUME, DO YOUR JOB. Give me a break. Some of us actually have to WORK to put themselves through college, which I will gladly do before some trust fund baby shadows a doctor and all of a sudden was blessed by the hand of God to become the next Debakey. And don't take it out on me if you're having a freaking bad day. Was not granted 2nd interview either because it was late in the day... bureaucratic, 5 o clock, gotta go. Anyways, I picked up the dog crap on the sidewalk with my wait-list letter, and dropped trou then shat on it myself before lighting it on fire. Ugh, what a traumatic experience. I'm still in THERAPY. I WAS PISSED. P-I-S-S-E-D I tell you.

Anyhow, I'm at my state school now, first choice, doing well, saving money, having a great time, basically kicking butt, taking names. I hope y'all have a better experience there. Y'all are welcome to email me with whatever traumatic stories to share, and if we ever meet up I will buy you a drink/drinks. I'm sure it's a great school and the students are AWESOME, but if that's how it's going to be like, IT AIN'T WORTH IT to be paying private tuition to be abused. Life is too short and I am not that desperate. I forgot what that hoe bag's name was FORTUNATELY, but if anyone of y'all interview with her, just tell her I said, IN YOUR FACE!

that's one of the all time classic rants. rock on.

Moops,

I deffered enrollment at Creighton for a year to teach English in Japan. I'll be starting there in the fall of 2004.

-dc