St. Joseph's College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceScrewball

Soon to be in PharmD!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I guess it’s official, St. Joseph’s College (CT) is taking applications for this fall cycle. I had been hearing rumors that it might not open until fall 2011. Has anyone applied, or is thinking of applying? They list their acceptance as rolling, so I was curious if anyone has heard back from the school yet.

I also wonder if they have anyone working there. I sent an application-related question through their inquiry link on the school’s website almost two weeks ago, and haven’t received a reply. So, I tried to email my question to the person listed on PharmCas’ directory as the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs, but my email was returned undelivered because the email address doesn’t exist. Is anyone else having problems contacting the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of sending my PCAT scores there too. Do you know what the deadline is?

March 1st is the deadline for Pharmcas, the college's website lists April 15th as the supplimental deadline. The school's website is mildly confusing because it makes no mention of Pharmcas. It just says to forward all the supoprting material (transcripts, LORs, test scores) to the school. I'm guessing that if you submit a Pharmcas application, then there is no need to additionally send your transcripts to the school, just fill out the supplimental.

I wish they would clarify this on their website, or answer emails...

Members don't see this ad :)
March 1st is the deadline for Pharmcas, the college's website lists April 15th as the supplimental deadline. The school's website is mildly confusing because it makes no mention of Pharmcas. It just says to forward all the supoprting material (transcripts, LORs, test scores) to the school. I'm guessing that if you submit a Pharmcas application, then there is no need to additionally send your transcripts to the school, just fill out the supplimental.

I wish they would clarify this on their website, or answer emails...
IceScrewball, so you use PharmCAS to send the necessary materials (LOR's, transcripts, PCAT), right? I'm planning to apply here next cycle, in which I hope it will be Precandidate by then.

Can you, or anyone else, tell me what your stats are (GPA/PCAT/EC's), whether you've been accepted or not? I'm curious because if I do not end up in a pharm school this cycle (I'm applying to CA schools only), then I would like to see what my chances are and really hope to get into this school next year. Thank you all, and good luck!

I finally did get an answer from the school. They do require their online application, however you do not need to send transcripts, LORs, etc, if you have already submitted through PharmCas. So essentially, if your PharmCas is done, the only thing you have to do is send them more money!

As far as stats, I'd rather not give details, but I'm an average student with an interesting background that I hope will make up for sub-stellar GPA. I have no idea what their admissions process will be since it is their first year of a PharmD program. On one hand, I think they might be really lenient since they want their program to grow and will take just about any motivated student. On the other hand, they might be really pressured by the accreditation process and be very strict on minimum GPAs/PCAT scores. I'm not sure what to expect, but I thought it would a neat adventure to be in the first class of a new school.

lakersfan, did you know that St. Joseph's requires a BS/BA in order to apply to the Pharm D program??

Last edited:
Great, good luck with them everyone. Let me know how it goes. Btw, are any of you Christian/Catholic?

I'm not christian...

St. Joes is on a rolling admissions Im pretty sure. If you need to contact them just give them a call, Ken always answers the phone (he's really very nice)...i felt they were actually one of the easiest schools to get a hold of someone.

And they should begin classes in the fall, they are simply waiting for their pre-accred review which is in a month i believe (so they can officially enroll students).

They are really enthusiastic at the school, and want everyone to do well especially because they are first starting out as a pharmacy college. So the vibe that you get when meeting everyone is the best i've seen. I know that they are going to be an excellent pharmacy school simply because their nursing program is very well known and has a good reputation. The advantage of going to this program is that you have a much better shot at graduating at the top of your class and easily becoming head of organizations. The way that they are running their classes actually seem to be pretty cool. It's hard to explain over the computer but they have a system that is pretty unique.

My only concern is being a part of the first class, usually the percent who pass state exams coming from the first graduating class is below average.. and i am planning on sitting down with them to find out what they are doing about residencies and so forth...

Great, good luck with them everyone. Let me know how it goes. Btw, are any of you Christian/Catholic?

Yes, is that a prereq? After being rejected elsewhere I figured I would quickly send my PharmCas there and hope that a new school might give me a chance. We'll see.

and as far as leniency goes... they are somewhat lenient however they still do have high standards... its not that difficult to fill up 60-70 seats with good students.

and yes you do need a bachelors

I had my interview back in january... i think i was around the 4th person, and got accepted. The interview was VERY informative... they knew they had to convince me just as much as i did them that they were going to be a good school. (you have to take a writing test and math exam)

again if anyone has questions, stop emailing and call the assistant dean on the website... they ALWAYS answer the phone, but if they don't they always return voicemails... it's really easy to get a hold of them

And they should begin classes in the fall, they are simply waiting for their pre-accred review which is in a month i believe (so they can officially enroll students).

This is a concern, no?

no i'm not concerned with that, just because they haven't gotten reviewed yet doesn't mean they are going to be a bad school or that they wont get approved... their nursing program actually has a really good reputation. only 1-2 schools in the history of acpe have failed the pre-accredidation once granted someone to review their campus. They put way to much time and money into it and if you speak to them you will know they are very determined to make things right.

No school has failed accreditation I believe. They have failed the first visit to go from pre-canidate to canidate but I don't believe any school has never recieved full accredidation. Thats what D'Youville college told me since they are in the process as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of question they ask during interview?

I belive that the PharmCAS deadline was March 1st. so... to apply the school directly, do I need to get new recommendation letters?:(

Sessy, thanks so much for your posts, you’re the first person I’ve talked to that has any interaction with the school! I’ve really been wanting to go to one of their open houses, but the timing has been bad. I’m very happy to hear that they are enthusiastic. I also find their block scheduling interesting, and I actually think I would love that format. Not that I can’t multitask, but I know from experience that I learn better by totally immersing myself in one thing until I’ve mastered it, and then moving on. I think it’s much better for my long term retention too. Also, I like that they have clinical interspersed within the three years, rather than waiting until the end to do them all. I think they have a very promising program set-up.

As far as residencies, that’s not something that I have been looking into very much because I’m thinking of going to military/VA/public health service after graduation, but I too have a small concern about the state exams. I feel somewhat reassured by looking at the staff profiles, all of them have come from other good pharmacy schools, so they should be familiar with what needs to be taught.

Also, I am Catholic and was raised in a pretty strict religious household, although I haven’t been as dedicated since I’ve started my own family. My husband is also Catholic and we try to bring those values to raising our daughter. I was wondering if this is something that I should mention or incorporate into an interview answer (assuming I get an interview!). I don’t want to sound like I’m just agreeing with the school’s values to impress the committee, because they probably get that a lot.

During my interview the catholic/christian values of the university wasn't addressed at ALL. And to be honest, i think that a lot of the christian universities find it to be a little phony when people talk about what a good catholic they are and so forth (i overheard a committee addressing a student who interviewed before me at PBA and they just felt she wasn't sincere by continuously saying how devoted she is to church)... instead, the best approach is to go for maybe the fact that their catholic or christian values makes you feel they make patient care more of a priority than the other schools. Also the 3 year aspect, and the fact that their nursing program has a good reputation - those were my 3 reasons why st. joes.

I had very good feedback from my interview (the assistant dean told me lol). It was very humble on both sides. They asked basic questions as to why i wanted to attend their school, why should they accept me, and asked about my extracurricular blah blah. I was just totally honest with every question they asked (very blunt)... and i think they respected me for it. They told me that they want mature candidates, who have no problems working with people (a lot of the things they are going to have you do are in group-type settings), and people who are simply driven ... they really emphasized the mature attitude aspect though. It all makes sense because they are starting as a new school so they need students who are willing to go out there and make good names for their school.

Also during my interview (which was 2 men grilling me), they brought blueprints... so the cool part about this interview is that you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. They give you a rundown of the program (so its expected that you don't know much about it when you go in for the interview). They show you what the classrooms will look like (since they cant yet give you a tour, i believe the building should be ready for the beginning of the fall).

the block schedule is actually very cool! and the way their exams work is that you will be tested every week (or every other week i forget) on the material from all your classes... you are tested on a friday by yourself (you have to get an 80% to pass), then you take the test again that friday right afterward with the "group" you are assigned to (they have these cool breakout rooms surrounding the class) and there you can earn extra points toward your grade... now, if you didn't pass your test (on your own) the first time, they give you one more chance to take the exam the following monday... and finally at the end of each year you have one major exam.

... they will explain all of this to you at your interview (a lot better than i am lol) so don't expect to know this for your interview. I think this system is fabulous though because it really forces you to be on top of your ****, and if you do slack off and mess up 1 test, you have a chance to redeem yourself over the weekend.

The technology is also pretty cool, they are going to have a bunch of flat screens (no blackboards/whiteboards) in the room and will make the class be interactive, i think everyone has the ability to interact with the monitor, like polling the audience in who wants to be a millionaire type stuff (they explain better). And you also use those breakout rooms to go with your groups during classes to address case studies and so forth... overall they keep you pretty involved during class.

but yea i am 99.99% confident they will get their pre-accred, and thus accredited (again because once you get that pre-accred acpe wont let the school fail out)

and yes, unfortunately you will have to get the new recommendation letters... however i believe (don't quote me) but i think if you tell your professors or whoever that they can just access pharmcas and reprint them... otherwise they may have them still saved on their comp. They really don't take most people too long to type up though, none of my professors had a problem redoing it.

Last edited:
I love the way that schedule sounds. After reading this, I’m extra anxious to hear back from St. Joseph’s! Again, Sessy, thank you for your insight.

no problem, and good luck! I'm sure you will hear from them (they are slightly slow however because they're trying to do so much to arrange for the guy from ACPE to come review them) ...if you want to know when the committee will review you just give the assistant dean a call and he may be able to tell you your status.

How long did it take before they called to tell you that you were accepted?

I'm not christian...

St. Joes is on a rolling admissions Im pretty sure. If you need to contact them just give them a call, Ken always answers the phone (he's really very nice)...i felt they were actually one of the easiest schools to get a hold of someone.

They are really enthusiastic at the school, and want everyone to do well especially because they are first starting out as a pharmacy college. So the vibe that you get when meeting everyone is the best i've seen. I know that they are going to be an excellent pharmacy school simply because their nursing program is very well known and has a good reputation. The advantage of going to this program is that you have a much better shot at graduating at the top of your class and easily becoming head of organizations. The way that they are running their classes actually seem to be pretty cool. It's hard to explain over the computer but they have a system that is pretty unique.

My only concern is being a part of the first class, usually the percent who pass state exams coming from the first graduating class is below average.. and i am planning on sitting down with them to find out what they are doing about residencies and so forth...
need help with personal statement and doing well on PCAT. St Joe Ken do not return calls or emails

having hard time writing 250 words minimum for personal statement and my application already late, past 3/1 on pharmcas. stressing getting personal statement, LOR, doing well on PCAT, gathering transcripts from 9 different universities. send in $125 fee non-refundable and more money to prepare for PCAT

where do I send pcat score if I did not go on pharmcas in time for 3/1 deadline for st joseph. Do I list pharmcas or fill in 3 schools in which one is st joseph on pcat registration

st joseph website still accepting applications past 3/1 deadline on website. got automated email receiving $125 but do no return calls on specifics such as where to send pcat scores, directly to school or pharmcas, do I need to retake PCAT again as a pharmacy transfer student there since took PCAT on oct. 2006?

Originally Posted by Sessy
I'm not christian...

Hey, sooo I see you got into multiple schools, have you made a decision about St Josephs?

Im still debating. A lot of my decision is going to be based on where my boyfriend ends up going to law school. Right now it seems like we are going to relocate to Florida. I still have some schools to hear back from too so I'm going to have to have a sit down and figure out, maybe call up some residencies and see how they weigh the schools we come from (will they give more preference to UF than PBA for ex). Right now in the pharmacy world accreditations and rankings don't seem to matter, but pharmacy is becoming much more popular so in 10 years will a job be more difficult. I'm already accepting the fact that I will more than likely have to go do a residency just because everybody and their brother is getting their pharm D. So normally I'd just go for St. Joes but again unsure because I dont know if they will be in the position to set me up for these residencies n so forth. I also don't know if I want to take a chance on being that experimental 1st class graduates, I don't know how well they will prepare me for the boards. Again I just have a lot of research to do over the next month to figure everything out. If I didn't have other options I'd have no problems going to St. Joes but since I do I may go with the already established sure things. If you don't have other options though, and arent planning on doing a residency.. I def. think its a perfectly fine school to go to

st joseph website still accepting applications past 3/1 deadline on website. got automated email receiving $125 but do no return calls on specifics such as where to send pcat scores, directly to school or pharmcas, do I need to retake PCAT again as a pharmacy transfer student there since took PCAT on oct. 2006?
Yea you can apply through their website, thats how i did it. And just send your pcats directly to the school (you can do that through the pcat web site, if you scroll through the schools st joes is on there... i think it costs you like 20 bucks) and your letters of rec you just have to get your professors to write them again and send them directly to the school. I just used my general personal statement, the same one i used for pharmcas (believe it was more than 250 words)... and i am unaware that they are taking transfer students...
you should be able to still use your 2006 pcat... not positive but i think its if its OVER 4 years... dont quote me though

I'm surprised you havent been able to get a hold of them.. I've always been able to get through. I'd just say keep trying if you can.

I was just wondering how many people have been accepted to St. Joseph's already.

I was called this morning to come in for an interview. I'm not sure if I want to go, since its so late already

does anyone know what kind of math questions St Joseph will test you on? When I asked the person who called me to schedule the interview, she was unsure/vague about it.

does anyone know what kind of math questions St Joseph will test you on? When I asked the person who called me to schedule the interview, she was unsure/vague about it.

I have been trying to contact the office to see if they recieved all my info and have left a couple messages and even emailed them??

is anyone else having troulbe hearing from them?

also did they email you to let you know if they recived all your materials and then called you for an interview or was the call out of random?

i usually call them in the morning like before 10 or 11am and I've been able to reach them. i just call the number from their website. i had missing information to several schools but they just emailed me and i sent in whatever was missing. st joseph just call me one morning out of the blue, so i guess they had everything.

I got Accepted St. Joseph's College :love:

Last edited:
I got Accepted St. Joseph's College :love:

when did you interview meklit? and also how long after the interview did you find out you were accepted? also what kind of questions did they ask?

any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks

when did you interview meklit? and also how long after the interview did you find out you were accepted? also what kind of questions did they ask?

any info would be greatly appreciated! thanks

they took 3 weeks to get back to me and my friend that interviewed there

and as far as questions, it was VERY VERY laid back. honestly, you can't even prepare for it, it was SO casual.

ken didn't make the call?! when he called me, he told me that the math questions would be basic math to calculus, which is what it was. i honestly have not looked at calculus since freshman year (and i'm a senior now) and i have have HORRIBLE memory, and i didn't get a chance to really look over anything before the interview, but it was like elementary calculus, so you have nothing to worry about :)

i ♥ pharmacy;9511203 said:
ken didn't make the call?! when he called me, he told me that the math questions would be basic math to calculus, which is what it was. i honestly have not looked at calculus since freshman year (and i'm a senior now) and i have have HORRIBLE memory, and i didn't get a chance to really look over anything before the interview, but it was like elementary calculus, so you have nothing to worry about :)

Conglatualtions!:) and thanks for sharing your experience.
On the interview day, how many applicants were there? and how was the essay part? Is the essay topic related to pharmacy field? I have an interview scheduled next friday. I'm so nervous:scared:

Conglatualtions!:) and thanks for sharing your experience.
On the interview day, how many applicants were there? and how was the essay part? Is the essay topic related to pharmacy field? I have an interview scheduled next friday. I'm so nervous:scared:

I interviewed with 2 other applicants and my friend interviewed with just one applicant, so it can vary.

The essay is very straightforward, you have a choice of six topics, so that makes it easier for you! (And from what I recall, they're not difficult -- all related to pharmacy in one way or another!)

This is by far the most laid back interview, ever. Honestly, it's very, very stress free -- you will do great! Good luck!

when did you apply? what are your stats GPA, PCAT, any info. would be appreciated! I apply Mar 24 and did not hear from them and having hard time for them to return calls or emails! What airport, is it bradley international? for hartford, CT. Where to get lowest airfares to interview. Did they call or email you for an interview? I think if I don't hear from them for 3 weeks, my stats must not be good enough for an interview!

is it helpful to get a schaum's outline to review elementary calculus or writing essay sample to prepare for interview if I do get one?

I sent in my application and supplimental the first week of Feb, and I still have not heard a word from the school (other than a confirmation email that they got my money). At this point, I don't really care since I got in to the school that I wanted to go to (St. Joe's was a last resort back-up), but I'm just curious now to see how long it will take them to reach me. I got into another, more competitive school, so I know they aren't just rejecting me based on grades or something. I'm happy that I don't need to wait for their decision, because I really don't like the way they are letting me hang in limbo here.

woowooeoe, yes you want to fly into Bradley International Airport. The airport is actually in South Windsor, CT, but it is only about ten miles north of Hartford. They will probably be cheaper than anyone else around.

You applied 1st week of Feb and St. Joe did not respond to your emails and phone calls. That is not cool! May I ask where did you get accepted to?

email cynthia hadden and check email and she do not reply. Called and voicemail come on and can't speak to a person. How about Hartford Brainard Airport? Went on google and check that this airport is closer to Bradley International. Do airlines land on this airport?

Pharmymen,
Did you get a response from st joseph? When did you send in your application?

How about Hartford Brainard Airport? Went on google and check that this airport is closer to Bradley International. Do airlines land on this airport?

Commerical passenger planes do not land at this airport. Brainard is just for light aircraft. If you have your own plane, you might be able to fly it here. :p

Thanks! Did you hear from st joe? Do you think it will help to complain to ACPE? you probably don't care if you hear from them. The school should have the professional courtesy to reply back!

I went to pharmcas website on st joseph college supplemental application deadline and no where is it stated april 15 deadline. How do you know april 15 is supplemental application deadline?