St. John Fisher Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoopkid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I made this thread so that we can discuss St. John Fisher.

So where do all of you plan on living in Rochester?

Members don't see this ad.

Well done stoopkid.
I was planning to do this sometime soon but my last exam is on the 7th.
I am looking into a place i found on an apartment finding website. A single bedroom apartment; 10 minute away from school and downtown. I don't plan on housing with anyone until after first year as I think I have to get to know people and the area first.
Where do you plan on living?

Maybe if more people get into this thread we can create a facebook group and see the faces of the people we're going to be with.

Do you mind sharing the website? I dont know where ill live atm, im still looking at all the options.
By 10 minutes, do you mean walking or car? bc it will be great to live within walking distance.

yea we should definitely make a facebook group. Hopefully more people join here who are planning on going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its next to impossible to live within walking distance I believe, everywhere is 10 minute drive (taking into account that class starts at 9am daily, it'll be 15 perhaps with rush hour however I don't think this suburb will have bad city rush hour).
There are a couple streets near the school but those are solely (to the best of my knowledge) residentials who are not renting or who have not listed their rooms.
The houses near the school could be up for rent but would require you to rent the house/find 3 other renters/etc. You probably won't be able to outright go and get a room (with all the necessary things).

Perhaps the most useful website for anyone going to this school/living in rochester is: http://rocwiki.org/

It has EVERYTHING you need to know about rochester (and surroundings) including maps, food, apartments, etc. Needless to say looking at the stuff in downtown rochester, I don't think we'll be let down in things to do besides school.

I went there and clicked on apartments and scrolled down to "Websites" and looked through those pages (rentatrochester is pretty good). Its better though to click on the individual companies' pages if you have the time to do that research into each company's offerings. Craigslist is always great too but takes a comb and time.

The one thing i'm regretting is to start shopping for more professional attire, I only have a couple of dress shirts.
I also have to get all those shots and stuff done.

Do you currently live in NY or rochester area?

Very nice post. Thanks for the information. Ill give that website a look, its great.
So classes start at 9 everyday or was that hypothetical? I still didnt get the acceptance envelope in the mail yet, so i guess ill find out more specifics about the school and classes once i get it - so far i just got a phone call to confirm it.

About the dress code - do you think they require buttoned shirts all the time? bc from what i saw during the tour, it didnt seem as strict as some other school are.

I am currently in NYC which is like a 6 hour drive (or 1 hr by plane) so itll be a bit annoying to move. How about you? Where are you currently?

I currently live in Toronto (1.5 hour N of rochester, 3 hour drive though), and as such I think i'm the only canadian student coming down.

As for classes starting at 9 unfortunately I think its true :/. I hate waking up at 7 but I think that'll have to be the case. 7 at earliest; 8:50 at latest :D.

For the dress code I think they want the button down shirts no matter what but thats only up until 5pm (i.e. during classes); after that its free range!

Keep looking in the mail for that acceptance envelope! It'll give you quite a lot to do for the next few months :).

Very nice post. Thanks for the information. Ill give that website a look, its great.
So classes start at 9 everyday or was that hypothetical? I still didnt get the acceptance envelope in the mail yet, so i guess ill find out more specifics about the school and classes once i get it - so far i just got a phone call to confirm it.

About the dress code - do you think they require buttoned shirts all the time? bc from what i saw during the tour, it didnt seem as strict as some other school are.

I am currently in NYC which is like a 6 hour drive (or 1 hr by plane) so itll be a bit annoying to move. How about you? Where are you currently?

you originally said you were waitlisted , congrats on the call. Did they say you came off the waitlist.I wish I knew if they are ranked. Congrats on LIU, too. Are you going to go there or Wegmans...tough decision

I currently live in Toronto (1.5 hour N of rochester, 3 hour drive though), and as such I think i'm the only canadian student coming down.
Sounds good. I checked out that site for apartments and stuff. Really helpful :)

you originally said you were waitlisted , congrats on the call. Did they say you came off the waitlist.I wish I knew if they are ranked. Congrats on LIU, too. Are you going to go there or Wegmans...tough decision

Im pretty sure that they said that they do rank.
Yea, its a tough decision. I'm leaning towards Fisher tho.

Are u attending Fisher sharpy or on the waitlist?
And you should attend Fisher stoop! It'd definitely be a different experience than your NYC life (as I figure LIU is in the busy city core right?).
To me what stood out to me/what I appreciated the most was the sincerity of the faculty. It gives me an idea that learning there will be an informative and positive/fun experience (the last which some universities lose sight of).

Are u attending Fisher sharpy or on the waitlist?
And you should attend Fisher stoop! It'd definitely be a different experience than your NYC life (as I figure LIU is in the busy city core right?).
To me what stood out to me/what I appreciated the most was the sincerity of the faculty. It gives me an idea that learning there will be an informative and positive/fun experience (the last which some universities lose sight of).

Wait listed at 4 schools. Fisher being one of them. I'm from nyc and was hoping for LIU , can save alot by living home. I liked Fisher just finished my BS away, so I had the experience, now I just want to get into Pharm School.

CD5 - Yea, I have no doubt that Fisher, as a school, will be a great. The faculty was really great during the tour. That's one of the reasons why it is my top choice atm.
I'm still researching the area and seeing the different kinds of stuff that is available outside of school and all.

Sharpy - I hope you get accepted. Being waitlisted at 4 schools still means you have a great chance of getting in.

Any updates anyone?

No update, but i got another question.
Are you gonna drive daily to school? or take public transportation?
If drive, what are you gonna do about parking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have to drive at least for the first little while till I figure out how efficient public transport it.
I think they have free parking over there? I can't really remember but when I went for the interview I don't recall seeing paid parking being required...hmm..

Apparently a group 'Wegmans School of Pharmacy Class of 2012' has been created on facebook but I can't seem to find it.

how do u know it was made? i also cant find it.
also, are u sure we're allowed to park at the school? cause the FAQ on the site says that freshman cant (i dunno how it applies to pharmacy students).

good job guys..by such thread we can plan & share ideas before getting in Rochester....my biggest issue so far is housing...I have been searching, searching and searching:) could not find a studio in Pittsford or furnshied room around campus...does anyone have a clue?

Thanks

I am not in the SJF class of 2012, but I am in the VCU class of 2012... I grew up in Rochester (Fairport actually!) and I know a few kids in the class of 2011... anyway, best website I ever found for apartments in Rochester-

www.rentrochester.com

That's how I found all my places... I would look in the southwedge or monroe avenue area, its a younger crowd, nicely priced apartments... Near the school, theres some complexes, but not much in the way of apartments with character...

Also, please beware of renting from a man named Mark Siwiec... He was my landlord while back, and he was AWFUL. I ended up calling the cops on him a few times, and he made my life a living hell... Just forwarning.

I wish you all good luck and congrats! I hope you enjoy Rachacha!

oh yeah, feel free to ask me any questions about rochester you want... i lived there for 20 some odd years =] And I understand how hard it can be to move someplace new!

CONGRATS!

I am not in the SJF class of 2012, but I am in the VCU class of 2012... I grew up in Rochester (Fairport actually!) and I know a few kids in the class of 2011... anyway, best website I ever found for apartments in Rochester-

www.rentrochester.com

That's how I found all my places... I would look in the southwedge or monroe avenue area, its a younger crowd, nicely priced apartments... Near the school, theres some complexes, but not much in the way of apartments with character...

Also, please beware of renting from a man named Mark Siwiec... He was my landlord while back, and he was AWFUL. I ended up calling the cops on him a few times, and he made my life a living hell... Just forwarning.

I wish you all good luck and congrats! I hope you enjoy Rachacha!

Thanks for the advice & the help you offer....am sure we'll be asking you so many questions:)

Hi Bucket,
Congrats on VCU2012...
Do you know any numbers/names of properties on park avenue? I heard that road was good for students but I can't find any listings on the various renting sites.
If you could tell us which roads/areas are good (i.e. located near shopping and stuff) and which are ones to avoid that would be much appreciated.

Hello out there...?

I got my acceptance letter today! I have a lot to do before I will be ready for the fall. If I can't get a couple of classes in, find somewhere to live, and get student loans figured out I am screwed. I am very happy though. Just really stressed. I hope I see you guys in the fall!

I got my acceptance letter today! I have a lot to do before I will be ready for the fall. If I can't get a couple of classes in, find somewhere to live, and get student loans figured out I am screwed. I am very happy though. Just really stressed. I hope I see you guys in the fall!

congrats & welcome to the club :)