St. Georges large animal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missy_22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a big decision to make and 'm looking for some advice! I applied to vet school this cycle and have officially been rejected from everywhere except St. Georges. I'm most interested in large animal medicine and was wondering how much large animal experience you get. I'm not sure if I should except my seat and go or if I should wait a year and reapply to other schools with more large animal emphasis. Any advice is helpful! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to do your clinicals stateside anyways right?

Yeah, you do your fourth year at an affiliated school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked quickly at the website and there's certainly exposure to LA on the island, and then some at your clinical year. Poke around in some old threads. Search SGU Large Animal or something similar, and see if this question may have been asked in previous years. Look in old Caribbean applicant threads. You may find some alumni to inbox. Everyone on here that I have messaged with a question has not only answered, but has been helpful and happy to do so. Don't be shy!

We have some large animal stuff, but as others have pointed out, you have breaks and clinics to get tons of experience too :)

Reactions: 1 user
I looked quickly at the website and there's certainly exposure to LA on the island, and then some at your clinical year. Poke around in some old threads. Search SGU Large Animal or something similar, and see if this question may have been asked in previous years. Look in old Caribbean applicant threads. You may find some alumni to inbox. Everyone on here that I have messaged with a question has not only answered, but has been helpful and happy to do so. Don't be shy!
Thanks! I haven't even considered inboxing people, I guess I'm too shy sometimes :)

Thanks! I haven't even considered inboxing people, I guess I'm too shy sometimes :)
Most people on the pre vet forums are pretty friendly and as long as you're polite, we're usually open to PMs. Just remember that some people may be on clinical rotations or working as vets now and may not have chance to get back to you right away. But no need to be shy!

Yeah, you do your fourth year at an affiliated school.

Well, I think it's up to you then.

You could do your 4th year at a school that is heavy in LA, but the lecture part of vet school is mostly the same at the accredited schools.

I would look into costs and see what would make you happiest. If you want to take another year and work and make more money, maybe get into a cheaper stateside school, maybe that would be a good route. Or, go where you got in and plan externships and your clinical year ahead of time so you get to go the places you want to go. Don't think there is a wrong decision. Go with your gut.