ST chris

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docbarry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you all consider St Christohpers a legitimate school that will provide a well rounded medical education. Are candidates well prepared to pass the USMLE upon graduation? What are the chances of a school like that being shut down like Kigezi? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some feed back.

Members don't see this ad.

Would you all consider St Christohpers a legitimate school

No

Are candidates well prepared to pass the USMLE upon graduation?

Dunno. But that is not the relevant question. The relevant question is whether the graduates are able to obtain licensure in all (or at least most) US states.

What are the chances of a school like that being shut down like Kigezi?

High.

There have been some threads on this school a little while ago.

Try all other options before considering this school. It is like most Carribean schools, except it is in England.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try all other options before considering this school. It is like most Carribean schools, except it is in England.

The main problem with these 'flying' schools is the fact that they are not accredited by the country they are operating in. They are based on 'charters' obtained from some more or less corrupt third world goverment official.

Again, the key problem with these schools are:
- once you apply for your medical license (6-10 years down the line), there is a good chance that your 'school' has disappeared. The medical board will have a hard time to get your transscripts verified etc.
- a couple of states already have regulations requiring schools to be recognized. But even if your state doesn't have such a list of 'approved' overseas schools, it is entirely up to the board to recognize your medical school education or not.

I attend st chris. it is a perfectly legtitimate school that provides an excellent quality of education. Our first time USMLE pass rate is on par with most reputable US DO schools. We also have a few licensed grads in teh US and many many residents. I agree however that you should exhaust your chances at a US school before considering st chris. I would also consider St. george, Ross, and AUC before st chris sinc ethey have 50 state approval. however, if all that fails, st chris is certainly an option.

if you work hard on your own, most schools will give you a reasonable shot at passing the USMLE. so, sure, st chris may do that, but so can dozens of other schools.

stay away from st chris for the following reasons:
1) long history of deciet from admin and students
2) not approved in any state that has an approval process]
3) accreditation not recognized as equivilent to US by any agency
4) charter location may post problems in some states
5) future in UK far from certain...looks good now, but with other schools copying the idea and having bad results, with schools like kigezi having issues, it would be no surprise if the GMC cut this loophole out.
6) one verified licensed grad, in FP in louisianna. already had a grad denied for a training license in Texas. not a great record or start.
7) likely will never be able to work in large parts of the US, and very questionable as to which states WILL allow grads. will not know for a while, or maybe ever, as the school is very hush hush about this

in short, don't be a guinea pig. while there certainly is a chance to succeed coming from this school, you are limiting your options from the begining. and, there is NO reason to do this. i can think of at least 10 better options off the top of my head. go to st chris as an absolute last resort.

neilc said:
if you work hard on your own, most schools will give you a reasonable shot at passing the USMLE. so, sure, st chris may do that, but so can dozens of other schools.

5) future in UK far from certain...looks good now, but with other schools copying the idea and having bad results, with schools like kigezi having issues, it would be no surprise if the GMC cut this loophole out.
6) one verified licensed grad, in FP in louisianna. already had a grad denied for a training license in Texas. not a great record or start.
7) likely will never be able to work in large parts of the US, and very questionable as to which states WILL allow grads. will not know for a while, or maybe ever, as the school is very hush hush about this

in short, don't be a guinea pig. while there certainly is a chance to succeed coming from this school, you are limiting your options from the begining. and, there is NO reason to do this. i can think of at least 10 better options off the top of my head. go to st chris as an absolute last resort.

First off I'm a student who started this past Jan 05. I have followed this school since 2003 when a friend started there. All of our professors are MDs and or PHDs. We are taught the latest and what is going to be on the boards.
I have never had a problem with the Admin but there is questions from time to time. Neil C is not a good person to judge our school!!!!!!!!
He has, for years relentlessly persued students for answers we just don't have as students. When we can't answer or get emotional about bashing our school the posters like Neil keep at us and say whe are decietful! Neil C is in Prague he is not in England nor has he ever been to St. Chris.

But why believe me or him? Hey this is the internet and anyone can say anything! Anyone can claim anything. Go to Value MD where our school site for students is and read read read. The truth is there and yes the Bashers who judge this school are there too.

The US does not accredit foriegn medical schools!

There is no loop who in the UK for this school it is legal, and the GMC has sent us a letter confirming that our grads can (and do) practice in the UK.

We are WHO ECFMG and Faimer listed.

The one denied in Texas went here for one year as a transfer problems with their basic science from before that. It happened in 2001, 4 years ago. No problems I know of since then.

You can attend our school and be Lic in all but about 5-6 US states and the rest of the world.

I still like the school and with Licensed grads things are looking good. Kriegezi shut down because of them, they had financial problems we do not. we are here to stay.

I would however state that going to a US school should be the first choice.

Good Luck

f_w said:

The main problem with these 'flying' schools is the fact that they are not accredited by the country they are operating in. They are based on 'charters' obtained from some more or less corrupt third world goverment official.

- once you apply for your medical license (6-10 years down the line), there is a good chance that your 'school' has disappeared. The medical board will have a hard time to get your transscripts verified etc.
- a couple of states already have regulations requiring schools to be recognized. But even if your state doesn't have such a list of 'approved' overseas schools, it is entirely up to the board to recognize your medical school education or not.

Where's your evidence? Bashing a school is against tos! You troll!
I will report this violation! Our students can practice in the US as well as the UK! You can not prove what you say. St. Chris has been WHO listed for over
5 years now.

f_w said:
Would you all consider St Christohpers a legitimate school

No

Are candidates well prepared to pass the USMLE upon graduation?

Dunno. But that is not the relevant question. The relevant question is whether the graduates are able to obtain licensure in all (or at least most) US states.

What are the chances of a school like that being shut down like Kigezi?

High.

There have been some threads on this school a little while ago.

Talk about things you know!
Krigezi was not shut down! They had low enrollment and went into financial trouble. They shut themselves down. Get your facts straight before posting!

St. Chris's enrollent is up, it has gone up every year.

Good luck

whoam said:
Yes I agree. Any School in the US would be better. You would not be an IMG then.
Good Luck

There is allways one.

Bu using the words 'Would you all consider' the OP solicited opinions. I gave my opinion, I gave the reasons that thia opinion is based on. No reason to get all huffed up about.

> The US does not accredit foriegn medical schools!

Partly correct, but misleading. The US indeed doesn't accredit foreign medical schools BUT:

Individual state medical boards and education departments DO evaluate schools. The state medical boards of California and Texas (+ a couple more) DO maintain lists of medical schools which are approved for licensure. All other medical boards will decide on a case by case basis. If they think something is fishy, they can and do deny licensure.

> There is no loop who in the UK for this school it is legal, and the GMC
> has sent us a letter confirming that our grads can (and do) practice
> in the UK.

Interesting. The GMC regards the graduates as 'overseas graduates' as you officially attended school in where was that, Senegal ? In order to obtain full registrations these graduates in all likelihood had to take the PLAB.

> Where's your evidence? Bashing a school is against tos! You troll!

I don't believe that I have made any statements that are factually incorrect.

Here again are the points that would make me think twice before sinking large amounts of money into an education at this school (for anyone to read and to form their opinion about. People like the OP will also be able to form an opinion about your nervous reply):

- the school is very new
- it operates outside of the country that is officially chartered and accredited in
- there is a history of 'non-traditional' schools opening and closing and going out of business. the graduates of these schools have considerable problems to get their education verified once that happens.

> I will report this violation! Our students can practice in the US as
> well as the UK!

I never said anything to the contrary. And your 'report' didn't seem to kick the mods into alarm mode, I haven't heard anything so far.

> not prove what you say. St. Chris has been WHO listed for over
> 5 years now.

The WHO, ECFMG and FAIMER put on their list whatever schools the goverment of the country that chartered the school gives them. It is by no means an accreditation or recogniticon process.

> Talk about things you know!
> Krigezi was not shut down! They had low enrollment and went into
> financial trouble. They shut themselves down. Get your facts
> straight before posting!

I never said they were shut down, I quoted the OP in that respect.

In my opinion there is a high likelihood that this school will be closed one way or another within the 35 years that you need your medical school to survive in order to have a smooth medical career in the US. (my medical school is around since the late 1400s. If past performance is any guide, I am cautiously optimistic that they will be around for another 30 years or so)

f_w said:

WHAT? What you stated is not opinion it is slander!!!!!!! You cannot claim that a school is chartered because of corruption! I will recontact the admin here! You are asking every medical student not to go to the Carrib schools like Ross and SGU because they HAVE NOT BEEN around for 35 years! So have other US schools! So it seems you have flaws in your logic!
Think before your post.

People reading this say to yourself does it make sense?

f_w said:
There is allways one.

Bu using the words 'Would you all consider' the OP solicited opinions. I gave my opinion, I gave the reasons that thia opinion is based on. No reason to get all huffed up about.

> The US does not accredit foriegn medical schools!

Partly correct, but misleading. The US indeed doesn't accredit foreign medical schools BUT:

Individual state medical boards and education departments DO evaluate schools. The state medical boards of California and Texas (+ a couple more) DO maintain lists of medical schools which are approved for licensure. All other medical boards will decide on a case by case basis. If they think something is fishy, they can and do deny licensure.

> There is no loop who in the UK for this school it is legal, and the GMC
> has sent us a letter confirming that our grads can (and do) practice
> in the UK.

Interesting. The GMC regards the graduates as 'overseas graduates' as you officially attended school in where was that, Senegal ? In order to obtain full registrations these graduates in all likelihood had to take the PLAB.

> Where's your evidence? Bashing a school is against tos! You troll!

I don't believe that I have made any statements that are factually incorrect.

Here again are the points that would make me think twice before sinking large amounts of money into an education at this school (for anyone to read and to form their opinion about. People like the OP will also be able to form an opinion about your nervous reply):

- the school is very new
- it operates outside of the country that is officially chartered and accredited in
- there is a history of 'non-traditional' schools opening and closing and going out of business. the graduates of these schools have considerable problems to get their education verified once that happens.

> I will report this violation! Our students can practice in the US as
> well as the UK!

I never said anything to the contrary. And your 'report' didn't seem to kick the mods into alarm mode, I haven't heard anything so far.

> not prove what you say. St. Chris has been WHO listed for over
> 5 years now.

The WHO, ECFMG and FAIMER put on their list whatever schools the goverment of the country that chartered the school gives them. It is by no means an accreditation or recogniticon process.

> Talk about things you know!
> Krigezi was not shut down! They had low enrollment and went into
> financial trouble. They shut themselves down. Get your facts
> straight before posting!

I never said they were shut down, I quoted the OP in that respect.

In my opinion there is a high likelihood that this school will be closed one way or another within the 35 years that you need your medical school to survive in order to have a smooth medical career in the US. (my medical school is around since the late 1400s. If past performance is any guide, I am cautiously optimistic that they will be around for another 30 years or so)

YES Cali and some other states do evaluate schools but they cannot and do not accredit schools like you stated. Please post facts. ( we were visted by NY and are awaiting approval by the state). Oh and Senegal reps were here yesterday to visit as they do periodicaly to Oversee our school.
Why should geographics matter that much? The US is bigger than most of Europe and Texas is very far from Wash DC and regulators, so Texas med schools are too far to be legit? Come on make sense Senegal is about a 2 hr trip from the UK they can visit whenever they want and the charter is theirs so they can take it away if we are not conducting our school as we should!

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't have to attend a school to have a good insight as to what it provides compared to the other options. i do go to school in prague. i have never been to st chris. however, that does not mean that i am unable to provide reasonable advice to pre-meds considering the offshore route. instead of trying to make this battle personal, why don't you look at my stated reasons to avoid st chris. if you have a problem with them, say so.

if there is some factual misrepresentation about st chris, great. tell us what is wrong.

your hysterical reactions are a bit entertaining, though. gives a good insight as to what kind of students do attend st chris!

I would consider St. Christopher's a NEW school and anything that might imply, such as rented buildings, more changes in procedures than might occur with a more established school, etc. However, I checked with several schools (including Tulane), who have had previous St. Christopher's students prior to enrolling here myself. I explained that I was checking into the school and wanted to know how St. Christopher's students had performed. Replies were friendly, open, and favorable regarding these students. As to licensure, I only checked the few possible states I am interested in possibly obtaining licensure. (Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana). Not one of those state licensing boards indicated that I would have a problem, assuming, of course, that I passed the USMLE. The problems with Kigezi and similar schools have made problems for all International medical students, most majorly with the student loan situation. Also, many complaints regarding a particular school can be traced to miscreants who are not/have not performed well and have a particular gripe with the school. These people are not a good source of information. Due to continued questions, I will make it a point to post my licensure information at this and other sites.

bhoot, you may want to recheck your status in TX. it is very, very unlikely that you will get a license there. they require substantial equivilence, and they have already rejected a st chris grad for a TRAINING license.

neilc said:

From above

a slanderous statement you should be careful!

Again, foreign medical schools are not accredited by the US, I know you know this. This is misleading and inacurate, St. Chris is WHO, FAIMER, ECMFG recognised

Again not accurate and speclative at best. Allow is incorrect you see the US is a nation of laws!
By law so far about 44 out 50 states grads can get lic in right now.

Hey how would you feel if I posted these kind of statements about Prague med schools? and boy I think of some questions! Be careful and tell facts not speculate so much.

I don't find that much fault with the rest.
Cheers.

neilc said:
you don't have to attend a school to have a good insight as to what it provides compared to the other options. i do go to school in prague. i have never been to st chris. however, that does not mean that i am unable to provide reasonable advice to pre-meds considering the offshore route. instead of trying to make this battle personal, why don't you look at my stated reasons to avoid st chris. if you have a problem with them, say so.

if there is some factual misrepresentation about st chris, great. tell us what is wrong.

your hysterical reactions are a bit entertaining, though. gives a good insight as to what kind of students do attend st chris!

I agree on some things, Yes you are a good person to give advice on IMG schools in Europe. But in Prague and other countries you have first hand knowledge about. I would not make wild statements with half truths about your school and I'm asking you not to do the same about mine. Ask questions though. I know I can't answer some because I don't know the answer. I will not lie. It is not fair to me or my school to just sit back and let posters respond to questions with half truths though.

Good Luck

It is funny. Anytime you post something regarding offshore schools, there is some 'student' patrolling these boards launching a full-scale counterattack (with personal insults, threats and long verbose meaningless lists of 'facts'). I am starting to wonder whether these folks are actually students, or whether we are dealing with goons hired by the school to control the public image (or actual students serving in a dual role. Maybe they get a tuition break). Just speculating here, expressing my thoughts and opinions.

> ES Cali and some other states do evaluate schools but they cannot and
> do not accredit schools like you stated.

You are mistaken. I never stated otherwise.

> WHAT? What you stated is not opinion it is slander!!!!!!! You
> cannot claim that a school is chartered because of corruption!

I said more or less. Maybe you guys are lucky, and the guys in Senegal are on the less end of this spectrum ;) Any public official in any country is potentially corrupt, I have no reason to believe that Senegal is an exception here.

> I will recontact the admin here!

Still haven't heard from them. I am already shaking in fear of their mighty hand.

> As to licensure, I only checked the few possible states I am interested in
> possibly obtaining licensure. (Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana). Not one
> of those state licensing boards indicated that I would have a problem,

Maybe you would want to go back to the TX medboard website and pull up the list with the
'Schools Whose Graduates Do Not Have To Prove Substantial Equivalence Of Their Education'. Somewhere far down it lists:

82000 SENEGAL - NONE

What that means is that the TX medboard will decide on a case by case basis whether they consider your school education adequate. As they are generally polite southerners, I would guess that they license you, but don't take it for granted. (heck there are even schools in Iraq on their list, they don't have to go through a case by case review...)

> Again, foreign medical schools are not accredited by the US, I know
> you know this. This is misleading and inacurate, St. Chris is WHO,
> FAIMER, ECMFG recognised

The goverment of Senegal gave the WHO a letter that this medical school is recognized by the civil authorities in Senegal to have the right to give the degree doctor of medicine or MBBS. The WHO puts this information into their database and into the the directory they occasionally publish. FAIMER takes the information from WHO and adds some information like the physical address for the office of the registrar and information regarding the standard length of the curriculum. ECFMG uses the database maintained by FAIMER to address their letter when they request verification of credentials. At no step in that chain you will find an evaluation of the school by any of these authorities whose name the school graces itself with. (It is like startup companies claiming that they are 'Dunn and Bradstreet recognized'. That is about as meaningful as me being 'Experian' or 'Trans Union' recognized, or having my name in the phone book.)

> Again not accurate and speclative at best. Allow is incorrect you see the
> US is a nation of laws!
> By law so far about 44 out 50 states grads can get lic in right now.

Well, lets say, 44 out of 50 states have no explicit rules disallowing graduates of specific schools for licensure.
The decision to grant a license is up to the medical board of the individual state. When they sit around that mahogany table, they usually just vote up or down based on the recommendation of the staffer who collected the documents from the applicant and did the investigations common in that state. If they think that there are issues with your school, it is up to them to request more information before they license you, or to not license you at all. You can allways sue the medical board, hey its America.

> What are the chances of a school like that being shut down like Kigezi?

Oh, earlier you got so hung up on the fact that the school got shut down. Nowhere in the thread it is alledged that Kigezi was shut down by the angolan or british authorities. ('being shutdown' includes 'being shutdown by their board of directors')
The OP asked for the chances of the school disappearing, and in my humble opinion the chances of St Christopher failing are high, may it be for regulatory or financial reasons.

whuds said:
From above

a slanderous statement you should be careful!

Again, foreign medical schools are not accredited by the US, I know you know this. This is misleading and inacurate, St. Chris is WHO, FAIMER, ECMFG recognised

Again not accurate and speclative at best. Allow is incorrect you see the US is a nation of laws!
By law so far about 44 out 50 states grads can get lic in right now.

Hey how would you feel if I posted these kind of statements about Prague med schools? and boy I think of some questions! Be careful and tell facts not speculate so much.

I don't find that much fault with the rest.
Cheers.

1) this is NOT a slanderous statement. i stand by it 100%. examples? in the past, st chris posted pictures of cambridge uni on the website, clearly trying to pass them off as st chris buildings. there have been dodgy claims on the website, claims of non-existent affiliations. the admin claimed that it was illegal for them to release clinical sites. total BS. look at the claims they have made in the not so distant past regarding NJ clinicals and licensure! slander, no. the school is dodgy. the president of the uni told students at st chris that he was an ER physician. no record of that. the previous clinical director was a felon. need more examples?

3) there is a board that evaluated the accreditation processs for many, many countries. the name eludes me. it listed accreditation standards that were considered equivilent to the US. senegal was not on that list. be more careful when you read...i did not imply or state anything about US accreditation, i stated there has been no outside agency that has evaluated st chris. many other schools have been evaluated and found either equivilent or have been approved by other states.

7) my statement is just as speculative as yours. my personal belief is that you should not count on your school being eligible for licensure until it happens. st chris has some issues that other schools do not have, and they have not been seen and dealt with by most (if any) licensure boards yet. examples: st chris grads are unable to get licensed in senegal (they do not have french as a graduation requirement...). st chris grads are educated 100% out of the country of charter. so, these are clearly potential barriers to licensure. so, your 44 states is really just a guess based on your interpretation of the laws in each state. sorry, but unless you have a law degree (and even then, i would be careful! the board can read these things many ways) i will wait to accept this number as reasonable. as of now, there is 1 state st chris is good in. louisianna.

while i understand that you want to defend your school, you have to realize that by most measures, your school is simply a poor choice. i wish you well. i hope that all turns out well. but, even with the best case scenario (44 states) st chris is simply relegated to a distant second or third tier offshore med school. there are too many other better options.

by the way, feel free to say what you want about czech schools. i am not so blinded by school pride, nor am i so insecure as to be unable to admit the many shortcomings. i am happy to list them for you, and have done so in the past. please, though, do not try to change the subject by attacking me, or try to divert the discussion to my school. it fools nobody. if you cannot respond to the discussion with intelligent replies, designed to provide more info or refute what we are saying, then i would stay out of it. it does not help any cause to be crying 'slander' or trying diversionary tactics. people will not think better of you or your school when you resort to this.

neilc said:
1) this is NOT a slanderous statement. i stand by it 100%. examples? in the past, st chris posted pictures of cambridge uni on the website, clearly trying to pass them off as st chris buildings. there have been dodgy claims on the website, claims of non-existent affiliations. the admin claimed that it was illegal for them to release clinical sites. total BS. look at the claims they have made in the not so distant past regarding NJ clinicals and licensure! slander, no. the school is dodgy. the president of the uni told students at st chris that he was an ER physician. no record of that. the previous clinical director was a felon. need more examples?

3) there is a board that evaluated the accreditation processs for many, many countries. the name eludes me. it listed accreditation standards that were considered equivilent to the US. senegal was not on that list. be more careful when you read...i did not imply or state anything about US accreditation, i stated there has been no outside agency that has evaluated st chris. many other schools have been evaluated and found either equivilent or have been approved by other states.

7) my statement is just as speculative as yours. my personal belief is that you should not count on your school being eligible for licensure until it happens. st chris has some issues that other schools do not have, and they have not been seen and dealt with by most (if any) licensure boards yet. examples: st chris grads are unable to get licensed in senegal (they do not have french as a graduation requirement...). st chris grads are educated 100% out of the country of charter. so, these are clearly potential barriers to licensure. so, your 44 states is really just a guess based on your interpretation of the laws in each state. sorry, but unless you have a law degree (and even then, i would be careful! the board can read these things many ways) i will wait to accept this number as reasonable. as of now, there is 1 state st chris is good in. louisianna.

while i understand that you want to defend your school, you have to realize that by most measures, your school is simply a poor choice. i wish you well. i hope that all turns out well. but, even with the best case scenario (44 states) st chris is simply relegated to a distant second or third tier offshore med school. there are too many other better options.

by the way, feel free to say what you want about czech schools. i am not so blinded by school pride, nor am i so insecure as to be unable to admit the many shortcomings. i am happy to list them for you, and have done so in the past. please, though, do not try to change the subject by attacking me, or try to divert the discussion to my school. it fools nobody. if you cannot respond to the discussion with intelligent replies, designed to provide more info or refute what we are saying, then i would stay out of it. it does not help any cause to be crying 'slander' or trying diversionary tactics. people will not think better of you or your school when you resort to this.

First off I started in Jan 05 and have not nor will not deceive anyone so your statement is offensive and I beleive you cannot prove waht you have said.

The school may have made mistakes but what ever you are writting about the website has not shown Cambridge since 2001, when the school WAS THERE.

Yes the school had an affiliation with Luton University at one time so no deceit here.

BTS is a student so I can't write a response for him.

I can not and will not post what I've been told by the Admin of the school not to. I don't know why but that is how it is. Yes I question the wisdom of this.

The web site for St. Chris. http://stchris.edu/home.php

You mean to tell me your school has grads in every state? Using your criteria that is what you must have before you can say that it will be okay. hmm

That board is a priviate company who will accredit anyone for a price I do know them. No so far the school has not been contacted but they would have to pay for this, to be listed. As I stated no Accredation process right now.

So what about the previous clinical director, who was that for how long? 6 months? Come on the admin 1. didn't know (bad mistake I would say) and 2. did their best to change things. and 3. what does it matter really anyway? That fact was never denied or hidden thats why we know about it!

Webster's
slan[der 7slan$d!r8
n.
5ME sclaunder < Anglo-Fr esclaundre (OFr esclandre, escandle) < LL(Ec) scandalum: see SCANDAL6
1 the utterance in the presence of another person of a false statement or statements, damaging to a third person's character or reputation: usually distinguished from libel, which is written
2 such a spoken statement
vt.
to utter a slander about
slan$[derer
n.

.........and my mistake not slander but libel.

ALSO OUR GRADS CAN GET LIC IN SENEGAL where do you get such info? Other posters? Thats really not accurate. We are chartered by that country. That statement is insane! Now our grads may need to speak French. I can, can you speak the language of the country you are in as well as all the Americans attending the English program there? Well.........

There thats it just tell the truth, tell the truth I know I want to and will.

As I said if I'm wrong fine, I'm wrong.

I'm sure the other Offshore schools have made mistakes or are the perfect? :eek:

> I can not and will not post what I've been told by the Admin of the
> school not to. I don't know why but that is how it is. Yes I
> question the wisdom of this.

You have to help me out here. What are you trying to tell us in this sentence, could you re-phrase that a bit.

> That board is a priviate company who will accredit anyone for a price
> I do know them. No so far the school has not been contacted but they
> would have to pay for this, to be listed. As I stated no Accredation
> process right now.

Which 'board' is a priviate company ??

3 questions for 'whuds':

- are you a current student at St Christophers College of Medicine (Yes/No)

- are you an employee or officer of St Christophers College of Medicine (Yes/No)

- are you in a contractual relationship with St Christophers College of Medicine, (e.g. to provide public relations services) (Yes/No)

(and please, no rambling answers with citations from websters. 1 yes, 2 no's is all I am asking for)

f_w said:
> I can not and will not post what I've been told by the Admin of the
> school not to. I don't know why but that is how it is. Yes I
> question the wisdom of this.

You have to help me out here. What are you trying to tell us in this sentence, could you re-phrase that a bit.

> That board is a priviate company who will accredit anyone for a price
> I do know them. No so far the school has not been contacted but they
> would have to pay for this, to be listed. As I stated no Accredation
> process right now.

Which 'board' is a priviate company ??

I know where clinical sites are and also of some more Lic grads but I'm not allowed to release this infromation I will be in trouble here at school.

"The National Academy of Higher Education (NAHE) evaluates the educational credentials of clients who have studied in other countries or attained degrees through alternative methods, to determine if they meet equivalency standards of the United States.

NAHE is an International Credential Evaluation Service, founded to help clients gain the recognition they need to pursue their career and educational goals.

The results of an NAHE assessment are provided in an evaluation report (s) that are objective, consistent, and reliable.

WHO BENEFITS FROM NAHE CREDENTIAL EVALUATION REPORTS?
bullet

Individuals who have been awarded degrees/certifications/diplomas outside of the US, or through degrees awarded through equivalency or peer evaluation, or through educational institutes, colleges, or universities which have closed.
bullet

Licensing bodies
bullet

Educational institutions
bullet

Employers and employment agencies
bullet

Government services
bullet

Immigration organizations

WHY IS EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE CREDENTIAL EVALUATION REPORTING SO USEFUL?
bullet

NAHE Reports help individuals pursue a variety of goals: career planning, job search, education, professional recognition, licensing, immigration, and more.
bullet

NAHE Reports help licensing bodies, employers, and educational institutions determine if an individual's credentials meet requirements for licensure, employment, or admission.
bullet

NAHE Reports save organizations time and money by eliminating the need for extensive resources and research time to complete their own evaluations. "

This is the one some states use, but they never visit the schools.

http://www.nahighered.org/

The school investigated would have to pay them! They are not a regulatory body of any kind.

You had lost me there for a minute. So, you guys are going to get yourself 'certified' or 'accredited' by NAHE ?

'whuds', if you would be so kind to take the 20 seconds or so to answer my questions:

- are you a current student at St Christophers College of Medicine ? (Yes/No)

- are you an employee or officer of St Christophers College of Medicine ? (Yes/No)

- are you in a contractual relationship with St Christophers College of Medicine (e.g. to provide public relations services) ? (Yes/No)

(and please, no rambling answers with citations from websters. 1 yes, 2 no's is all I am asking for)

f_w said:
You had lost me there for a minute. So, you guys are going to get yourself 'certified' or 'accredited' by NAHE ?

'whuds', if you would be so kind to take the 20 seconds or so to answer my questions:

- are you a current student at St Christophers College of Medicine ? (Yes/No)

- are you an employee or officer of St Christophers College of Medicine ? (Yes/No)

- are you in a contractual relationship with St Christophers College of Medicine (e.g. to provide public relations services) ? (Yes/No)

Uh no NAHE was used by a state to investigate schools but they never visit schools.

Okay Yes I'm a 1st year Student. Older student ( I was an RN in the states)

No I do not work for the school, I'm here on loans.

No the school does not in anyway pay or contract students (as far as I know ) to surf the web and answer questions. I'm waisting my own time (Have midterms Mon though :eek: ). I'm the secretary for our AMSA chapter though.

Cheers. (I'm not British)

> Okay Yes I'm a 1st year Student. Older student
> ( I was an RN in the states)

I actually think that US medschools make a big mistake by gearing their admissions process so much towards the 'bio major fresh out of college with bogus volunteer experience and stellar GPA' candidates. They miss out on a good number of motivated experienced and able people.

> No I do not work for the school, I'm here on loans.

Too bad that you are so unwilling to see the potential complications waiting for you down the road caused by the medschool you are attending.

> No the school does not in anyway pay or contract students
> (as far as I know ) to surf the web and answer questions.

See, the reason I was starting to wonder was this: Initially, you claimed to be a student. But later, when you got really excited, you suddenly fell into the 'our students' mode.

> First off I'm a student who started this past Jan 05.

> There is no loop who in the UK for this school it is legal,
> and the GMC has sent us a letter confirming that our grads
> can (and do) practice in the UK.

> I will report this violation! Our students can practice
> in the US as well as the UK!

> BTS is a student so I can't write a response for him.

> I can not and will not post what I've been told by the
> Admin of the school not to. I don't know why but that
> is how it is. Yes I question the wisdom of this.

> ALSO OUR GRADS CAN GET LIC IN SENEGAL where do you get
> such info? Other posters? Thats really not accurate. We
> are chartered by that country.

Wouldn't it be 'another student' instead of 'a student' or 'prior graduates of my school' instead of 'Our students'.

I was trying to discount this as an expression of your spotty command of the english language (shesh, I knew folks in Atlanta have a bit of a drawl, but I didn't think this extended into written text). But somehow the zeal that you put into policing this board still makes me wonder whether you are closer to the schools owners/administration than you give up here.

> I'm waisting my own time (Have midterms Mon though ). I'm
> the secretary for our AMSA chapter though.

Well, quit wasting your time. If you flunk out of St Chris, where else could you go (IHSU maybe) ?

> Cheers. (I'm not British)

Never thought that for a second.

Oh, your school administrator doesn't want you to reveal the location of clinical sites, for one simple reason: They have seen what happened to Spartan. After the Hartford Courant investigated the school, a couple of their proud 'teaching hospitals' got very cold feet and backed out of the deal.

f_w said:
> Okay Yes I'm a 1st year Student. Older student
> ( I was an RN in the states)

I actually think that US medschools make a big mistake by gearing their admissions process so much towards the 'bio major fresh out of college with bogus volunteer experience and stellar GPA' candidates. They miss out on a good number of motivated experienced and able people.

> No I do not work for the school, I'm here on loans.

Too bad that you are so unwilling to see the potential complications waiting for you down the road caused by the medschool you are attending.

> No the school does not in anyway pay or contract students
> (as far as I know ) to surf the web and answer questions.

See, the reason I was starting to wonder was this: Initially, you claimed to be a student. But later, when you got really excited, you suddenly fell into the 'our students' mode.

> First off I'm a student who started this past Jan 05.

> There is no loop who in the UK for this school it is legal,
> and the GMC has sent us a letter confirming that our grads
> can (and do) practice in the UK.

> I will report this violation! Our students can practice
> in the US as well as the UK!

> BTS is a student so I can't write a response for him.

> I can not and will not post what I've been told by the
> Admin of the school not to. I don't know why but that
> is how it is. Yes I question the wisdom of this.

> ALSO OUR GRADS CAN GET LIC IN SENEGAL where do you get
> such info? Other posters? Thats really not accurate. We
> are chartered by that country.

Wouldn't it be 'another student' instead of 'a student' or 'prior graduates of my school' instead of 'Our students'.

I was trying to discount this as an expression of your spotty command of the english language (shesh, I knew folks in Atlanta have a bit of a drawl, but I didn't think this extended into written text). But somehow the zeal that you put into policing this board still makes me wonder whether you are closer to the schools owners/administration than you give up here.

> I'm waisting my own time (Have midterms Mon though ). I'm
> the secretary for our AMSA chapter though.

Well, quit wasting your time. If you flunk out of St Chris, where else could you go (IHSU maybe) ?

> Cheers. (I'm not British)

Never thought that for a second.

Oh, your school administrator doesn't want you to reveal the location of clinical sites, for one simple reason: They have seen what happened to Spartan. After the Hartford Courant investigated the school, a couple of their proud 'teaching hospitals' got very cold feet and backed out of the deal.

What I'm on trial? How pompus! I think as the the school as mine! Don't you? So I said our students? so what? Hope you don't fail out where you go too.
Your such a nice person good thing you show who you are in public. I don't hide who I am. Yes I have my chance to go to med school at 41 years of age, thats hard to do in the states. Don't even try to tell me it's not. I have been accepted at two other schools by the way ( I wont post where because I'm not attending those schools right now but you never know). (sorry I type quick didn't know I had to have perfect english)

Good grief and good luck

> I think as the the school as mine! Don't you so I said our
> students? so what?

Again, you lost me at the exclamation mark.

> Hope you don't fail out where you go too.

I hope I don't fail (in my case that would be my oral board exam).

> Yes I have my change to go to med school at 41 years of age,
> thats hard to do in the states. Don't even try to tell me it's not.

Again, I have reason to believe that you do have a problem with the english language, in this case the 'reading comprehension' aspect of it (this is something I noted before. You claim that me or neil wrote something that we never wrote, or at times you don't seem to get any of the points made):
As I wrote, I think it is a shame that the admissions process to US medschools doesn't make reasonable accomodation for students with more life experience and rather focuses so much on fresh college grads with high GPA's.

> I have been accepted at two other schools by the way
> ( I wont post where because I'm not attending those schools right
> now but you never know).

Well, you might want to give them a second thought. Look at the issues brought up here, and decide whether you want to sink 4 more years worth of tuition into this enterprise.

Good luck.

f_w said:
> I think as the the school as mine! Don't you so I said our
> students? so what?

Again, you lost me at the exclamation mark.

> Hope you don't fail out where you go too.

I hope I don't fail (in my case that would be my oral board exam).

> Yes I have my change to go to med school at 41 years of age,
> thats hard to do in the states. Don't even try to tell me it's not.

Again, I have reason to believe that you do have a problem with the english language, in this case the 'reading comprehension' aspect of it (this is something I noted before. You claim that me or neil wrote something that we never wrote, or at times you don't seem to get any of the points made):
As I wrote, I think it is a shame that the admissions process to US medschools doesn't make reasonable accomodation for students with more life experience and rather focuses so much on fresh college grads with high GPA's.

> I have been accepted at two other schools by the way
> ( I wont post where because I'm not attending those schools right
> now but you never know).

Well, you might want to give them a second thought. Look at the issues brought up here, and decide whether you want to sink 4 more years worth of tuition into this enterprise.

Good luck.

I edited my post. This computer has a lousy keyboard.
So sorry.

Like I said be nice! I could go over all your posts (all when I have time) and check spelling and grammer. Are you perfect? Seems you think so.

Good luck.

Miklos said:
whuds,

neil has been at this game at lot longer than you.

It is not a private company, which he refers to. It is the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA).

Miklos
Mission

1. What is the role of the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA)?

The role of the NCFMEA is to review the standards used by foreign countries to accredit medical schools and determine whether those standards are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the U.S. The Committee's function is specified in Section 102(a)(2)(B) of the Higher Education Act, as amended.

2. Why is this type of comparability determination important?

It's important to American students who want to attend a foreign medical school and wish to receive loans under the Federal Family Educational Loan (FFEL) to help them with educational expenses. If the NCFMEA determines that a foreign country's accreditation standards for medical schools are comparable, then any accredited medical school in that country is eligible to apply to the U.S. Department of Education to participate in the FFEL Program.

3. Does the NCFMEA accredit foreign medical schools?

No, the NCFMEA does not review or accredit foreign medical schools. The NCFMEA only reviews the standards that a foreign country uses to accredit its medical schools.

4. Does the U.S. Department of Education accredit foreign medical schools?

No, the U.S. Department of Education does not accredit foreign medical schools. Any accredited medical school in a country that has comparable accreditation standards as determined by the NCFMEA may apply to the Department to participate in the FFEL Program. As part of the application, the school must provide documentation that it has been accredited by the entity in the foreign country that has responsibility for such accreditation. Evidence of accreditation is just one of the eligibility criteria that the foreign medical school must meet in order to participate in the FFEL Program.

5. How do I obtain a list of foreign medical schools that are eligible to participate in the FFEL Program?

For information on which foreign medical schools are eligible to participate in the FFEL Program, contact the Foreign Schools Team at the U.S. Department of Education. The Team's phone number is (202) 377-3168 and fax number is (202) 275-3486.

Members

Members of the NCFMEA serve three-year terms. A member may be appointed, at the Secretary's discretion, to serve more than one term."

Yes I'm aware of this agency and it's to approve goverment backed student loans. They clearly state they do not accredit schools.

The other agency has reviewed schools.
Cheers

> I could go over all your posts (all when I have time) and check
> spelling and grammer. Are you perfect? Seems you think so.

Oh sure. In my prose here you will find odd uses of grammar or typos with i-e inversions or the complete omission of the letter 'e' at times (sticky keyboard).

English isn't my first language either. The reason why I bring it up is that you don't seem to understand some of the stuff neil and I posted before you rattle off some incoherent blurp that has no relation to the issues brought up.

f_w said:
> I could go over all your posts (all when I have time) and check
> spelling and grammer. Are you perfect? Seems you think so.

Oh sure. In my prose here you will find odd uses of grammar or typos with i-e inversions or the complete omission of the letter 'e' at times (sticky keyboard).

English isn't my first language either. The reason why I bring it up is that you don't seem to understand some of the stuff neil and I posted before you rattle off some incoherent blurp that has no relation to the issues brought up.
Last thing I'll post, I stayed away from this site for too long. I wanted to go to St. Chris for about 6 months then come back and talk to others about this school and their school but I feel attacked here. It's not right and we should help each other not keep at each other. So I have gotten upset who wouldn't.
But that aside Good luck.

whuds said:
Mission

1. What is the role of the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA)?

The role of the NCFMEA is to review the standards used by foreign countries to accredit medical schools and determine whether those standards are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the U.S. The Committee's function is specified in Section 102(a)(2)(B) of the Higher Education Act, as amended.
Yes I'm aware of this agency and it's to approve goverment backed student loans. They clearly state they do not accredit schools.

The other agency has reviewed schools.
Cheers

neilc said:

Let's cut to the chase.

The NCFMEA reviews the standards used by foreign countries to accredit medical schools and determines whether those standards are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the U.S.

Please note that the Czech Republic's accreditation standard is recognized as equivalent to the standards used to accredit schools in the U.S.

Senegal's is not.

Miklos

I know its childish, but: You started it

> Last thing I'll post, I stayed away from this site for too long.
> I wanted to go to St. Chris for about 6 months then come
> back and talk to others about this school and their school
> but I feel attacked here. It's not right and we should help
> each other not keep at each other. So I have gotten
> upset who wouldn't.,

No, you didn't 'talk to others', you ripped into anyone who didn't agree with you that everything was hanky dory at St Chris. You threatened people, posted false statements etc. etc. Now don't start crying bc people don't just back away.

f_w said:
I know its childish, but: You started it

> Last thing I'll post, I stayed away from this site for too long.
> I wanted to go to St. Chris for about 6 months then come
> back and talk to others about this school and their school
> but I feel attacked here. It's not right and we should help
> each other not keep at each other. So I have gotten
> upset who wouldn't.,

No, you didn't 'talk to others', you ripped into anyone who didn't agree with you that everything was hanky dory at St Chris. You threatened people, posted false statements etc. etc. Now don't start crying bc people don't just back away.

Okay You started this by wild claims and yes I did report what you wrote. You said my schools charter was because of "some corrupt third world country official". Yes you said it and you should take it back I have quoted it twice.

No I'm not crying, yes I get mad. That above statement is outrageous. The Senegal Goverment is here right now reviewing our school.

I stated I came to this site for a mature disscussion and found childish wild claims. I have made points but many times the attention was deflected onto some accusation that I work for the school. Why because I dissagree with two posters here?

Thats that I have to go Bye and good luck.

Miklos said:
Let's cut to the chase.

The NCFMEA reviews the standards used by foreign countries to accredit medical schools and determines whether those standards are comparable to the standards used to accredit medical schools in the U.S.

Please note that the Czech Republic's accreditation standard is recognized as equivalent to the standards used to accredit schools in the U.S.

Senegal's is not.

Miklos

Boy I hate these posts, you cut what you wanted to show, the whole post from the site says they do not accredit, they compare. Senegal has not requested the review it has to come from the goverment of Senegal and they have not requested it per the officials here. Thank You.

> You said my schools charter was because of "some corrupt
> third world country official". Yes you said it and you should
> take it back I have quoted it twice.

If it makes you feel better: I have no proof or indication that the decision of the senegalese goverment to grant a charter to St Christophers Medical College was guided by anything other than the spirit of altruism and the desire of international cooperation. :clap:

(I know how they sold the ugandan goverment on the Kigezi deal. With all the fluff about 'development projects' and 'free medical services' they got these poor fools to believe that there was actually something in it for their country. Yes, some of the medschools in the caribbean have a positive impact on the local economy, mainly through the overpriced groceries and the provision of living quarters for the students. But for a school that doesn't even operate in the country of its charter, not even that benefit does apply.)

> No I'm not crying, yes I get mad. That above statement
> is outrageous. The Senegal Goverment is here right now
> reviewing our school.

So, will you rat me out to them as well ? (Do I have to fear the senegalese secret service knocking down my door ?) :cool:

> I have made points but many times the attention was
> deflected onto some accusation that I work for the school.
> Why because I dissagree with two posters here?

I believe it is called 'the pot calling the kettle black' :laugh: :laugh:

No, because when you got excited you seemed to let slip that you are far more chummy with the schools owner than you try to make us believe here.

Well, Heck thank you. I don't know the owner, if I did maybe I would get a break on tuition.
As a student there I just want to post what I know.
Yes I want the school around for a while so I can finish school and after.
cheers.

whuds said:
Boy I hate these posts, you cut what you wanted to show, the whole post from the site says they do not accredit, they compare.

Please re-read the post. It is directly from the site. To parapharase: They determine whether the national accreditation standards are comparable to U.S. standards.

whuds said:
Senegal has not requested the review it has to come from the goverment of Senegal and they have not requested it per the officials here. Thank You.

No doubt. Nor in all likelyhood would it pass muster, due to the charter issue.

The school is working on an option that our students go to Senegal campus for some basic sci courses, or all if they want to. This BS about country of charter (really to prohibit Internet schools) may not be an issue within 6 months.
So if the charter issue is the main issue as you stated then that may change as far as asking for evaluation of our school. This will be an English program :)

whuds said:
The school is working on an option that our students go to Senegal campus for some basic sci courses, or all if they want to. This BS about country of charter (really to prohibit Internet schools) may not be an issue within 6 months.
So if the charter isuue is the main issue as you stated then that may change as far as asking for evaluation of our school. This will be an English program :)

whuds,

The charter isssue is a problem, full stop.

Whether it was intended to prohibit internet schools or schools like SC is besides the point. As long as residency training and licensure is denied on the basis of the charter issue, it is a problem.

It is analogous to the situation in NY State, where if someone from an unapproved school exceeds twelve weeks of clinical clerkships outside the home country of the medical school, one is ineligible for residency training. It does not matter that this was intended for schools that place their students in clinical rotations in the U.S. (e.g. the Carib.), the 'dragnet' effects everyone from an otherwise eligible school who had too many 'away' elective rotations.

Miklos

Miklos said:
whuds,

The charter isssue is a problem, full stop.

Whether it was intended to prohibit internet schools or schools like SC is besides the point. As long as residency training and licensure is denied on the basis of the charter issue, it is a problem.

It is analogous to the situation in NY State, where if someone from an unapproved school exceeds twelve weeks of clinical clerkships outside the home country of the medical school, one is ineligible for residency training. It does not matter that this was intended for schools that place their students in clinical rotations in the U.S. (e.g. the Carib.), the 'dragnet' effects everyone from an otherwise eligible school who had too many 'away' elective rotations.

Miklos

I don't understand? Clinicals have never been a part of the disscussion of charter. The fact that all Basic Sci courses are in UK not Senegal has been the focus. Now that some of that may change clinicals pop up? So the Carrib schools, some approved by all 50 states, now have some kind of problem with clinicals? I think that will be news to them.

BTW are you from the USA? Because the way the law works is, if a law is tested in court and a judge decides that is has been missused or unconstitutional per state or federal then it is thrown out, appealed. Case law is very important. I do not think the laws will all hold up just as in the Spartan case. Sorry if St. Chris is within the law if just barely. Thats why I went here in the end because I could see it was within the law and it was real.

Why shouldn't people be allowed to form a new medical school? Why is there so much contention?

whuds said:
I don't understand? Clinicals have never been a part of the disscussion of charter. The fact that all Basic Sci courses are in UK not Senegal has been the focus. Now that some of that may change clinicals pop up? So the Carrib schools, some approved by all 50 states, now have some kind of problem with clinicals? I think that will be news to them.

whuds,

I was simply pointing out that whatever the intended effect of a law on IMG licensure, it is highly likely to be interpreted in the strictest possible way. You are familiar with the term "analogy", right?

(As an aside: Among the Carib. programs, SGU/Ross/AUC/Saba/SMU are approved in NY. Grads from other Carib. schools cannot do residencies in NY, due to the 12 week rule, as their clinical rotations are outside the home country of their medical school.)

whuds said:
BTW are you from the USA? Because the way the law works is, if a law is tested in court and a judge decides that is has been missused or unconstitutional per state or federal then it is thrown out, appealed. Case law is very important. I do not think the laws will all hold up just as in the Spartan case. Sorry if St. Chris is within the law if just barely. Thats why I went here in the end because I could see it was within the law and it was real.

Show me the legal decision that allows SC grads licensure in a place where they previously couldn't be licensed. If that's your basis for attending SC, you are on very thin ice (legally). A future courtroom victory is far from certain. (You are in essence betting $200k on a highly improbable outcome.)

whuds said:
Why shouldn't people be allowed to form a new medical school? Why is there so much contention?

Welcome to the world of off-shore medicine. The charter issue is what makes SC suspect legally. Some schools have succeeded over time, fought legal battles and won (see this article by the Ross founder for a what they had to do). However, the overwhelming number of new schools founder (e.g. Spartan among many others).

http://www.aaii.info/uehin.html

St. Chris's University is part of the African American Islamic Institute's program. In the above article they show that their Senegal campus was inagurated in 2003 but somehow St. Chris got a charter for 2000 in Senegal. who knows? The AAII is a leader in the Islamic/Sufi movement and has its own Mosque in Senegal.

Miklos said:
Some schools have succeeded over time, fought legal battles and won (see this article by the Ross founder for a what they had to do).

Nothing against Ross, but what a freakin' ego their namesake founder has! Interesting to note: he refers to the few int'l options available in 1978 as "Guadalajara, Mexico; Bologna, Italy; and some small medical schools elsewhere in Europe"...conveniently forgetting his virtual neighbor, St. G's, which started classes in 1977! I also like how he early on talks about his motivation to help rejected American students realize their dreams, but later lobbied to get exemptions to proposed legislative barriers for his school alone (which I wouldn't call having "fought legal battles", but that's really just semantics).

azskeptic said:
who knows? The AAII is a leader in the Islamic/Sufi movement and has its own Mosque in Senegal.

You might want to clarify yourself here, azskeptic -- are you insinuating anything about the school's Islamic connections?

pitman said:
You might want to clarify yourself here, azskeptic -- are you insinuating anything about the school's Islamic connections?

I am not insinuating anything. I am showing the background of St. Chris. The facts are as they are. Note in the article it says that the school was started in 2003; not 2000. What does that mean in terms of licensing? It says that the new school was the first private medical school so it insinuates that St. Chris didn't exist in Senegal prior to 2003 instead of 2000 it claimed before to WHO.

No, it says the University was inaugurated in 2003, it says nothing of when the medical school was started.