Spss 16.0 grad pack problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjay78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
I recently had to purchase the SPSS 16.0 grad pack to assist with my dissertation. I was trying to create my dataset when I realized that it would let me enter only 40 variables. Now, as far as I know the grad pack does not have any variable limit. Does anyone know what might be going on? Any suggestion would be very very useful.
Thanks
Cjay

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All,
I recently had to purchase the SPSS 16.0 grad pack to assist with my dissertation. I was trying to create my dataset when I realized that it would let me enter only 40 variables. Now, as far as I know the grad pack does not have any variable limit. Does anyone know what might be going on? Any suggestion would be very very useful.
Thanks
Cjay

we were warned not to get the grad pack for that reason. there's a discount for students on the full spss that makes it 200 bucks for two licenses, but that's different than the grad pack.

i hope that helps!

Does that mean that I wont be able to enter more than 40 variables? That Gradpack 16 allows only those many? Damn..thats ridiculous...on the SPSS website it says that there are no limits..what am I missing here?

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a dumb, captain obvious question, but are you sure they didn't send you the student version? That one has variable limits. Maybe a packaging error or something? Because you're correct that the gradpack shouldn't have any limits. Perhaps a phone call to tech support is in order. I've had to call them and they are actually quite helpful.

On a related note, is there anywhere to get the advanced models for a student rate? When I look on the SPSS website the only options I can find are for the grad pack. I already have the base software for Mac, but of course it doesn't come with advanced models. And that add-on is a ridiculous price.

What's up with SPSS and their ridiculous pricing structure anyway? You have to drop thousands of dollars to get anything worth using. :mad:

What's up with SPSS and their ridiculous pricing structure anyway? You have to drop thousands of dollars to get anything worth using. :mad:

SPSS's pricing structure is a holdover from the minicomputer and mainframe days, when software used to be extremely expensive and was licensed per user and CPU power.

This is also why computer science people make more than psychologists.

Mark

OP: I'm pretty sure you bought the student version ($80), not the grad pack ($200). Grad pack should have no variable limits and come with AMOS.

I'd just call spss and ask for a mulligan. If you just bought the software online and downloaded it from them, I couldn't imagine they would have a fit about it.

As previously mentioned, either something's wrong w/ your software or you don't have the grad pack. I ran into the same problem w/ the student version a few years ago, upgraded to the grad pack, and I have no limitations re: variables, so I would think that something's suspect with yours.

Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for all your responses. Ok, so the software that I bought says that it is SPSS Grad pack 16.0 and it did come with AMOS as well! Even the CD says that it is the SPSS grad pack with SPSS base, advanced models, regression models, AMOS 16 blah..blah.blah. So I guess there must be some problem with the CD where for some reason it had the SPSS student version even if it says that it had the grad pack. I will call and ask them tomorrow.
Chetan